The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 304 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2013, 04:38 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Spent half the day changing the turn signal switch. What a pain!
I feel ya,Puggs... I just replaced the actuator on a tilt colume on an 89Buick Reatta very hard to find parts for since there were only 12,000 made the only other interchangable part is from a riviara, also hard to find. This car must love being at my shop because every time I fix something and get ready to deliver it something else breaks...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 04:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Be careful where you cut. I doodled a bit showing what would happen near a curved spot compared to a a flatter spot.

Check it out:
Good point pugsy.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:23 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Spent the day at a very nice little cruise in out on by the local NAPA store. All free, along with food and entertainment. Plus they were giving out 5 gallon NAPA buckets full of cleaning supplies for your car! Never had such nice gifts handed out without having to buy raffle tickets to try and win them! They even gave away a 50" flat screen TV for free!
Old 07-27-2013, 09:03 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

went to cosco and loaded up and it was after playing ball so I was sore. I'm thinking when I drink cranberry juice my joints start to hurt more after I play. In any case got some glucosamine and will take some apple cider vinegar more often, it helps a lot. Now I'm just kicking back reading up on some Vette stuff. Fiberglass isn't so bad as long as you have your storm trooper suit on. Watching more gasser glass videos and the guy is always mad...probably cause he works on only fiberglass. I'd be mad too. Awesome tips the guy has though. I think his videos have compelled me to start fabbing up a center console by using a bunch of molds.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:31 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Spent a half hour out there tonight. I swear I have spent more time measuring out this one cut than I did on marking and cutting the roof off on the original cab I chopped in '74.

Brian

Brian, what is the advantage of cutting it the way you have marked? I have never done a chop personally so I have no experience with what you are doing. Thanks for the edumacation

Kelly
Old 07-27-2013, 11:05 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

looks like a z notch for strength, but a pain to fill in with strips. Not sure though. Care to explain, Martin?
Old 07-27-2013, 11:29 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
Brian, what is the advantage of cutting it the way you have marked? I have never done a chop personally so I have no experience with what you are doing. Thanks for the edumacation

Kelly
What I have done is cut over the door at the point where lengthening that area must be done, then moved it back to the rear of the cab where lengthening the skin works without going across the middle of the roof where you have to deal with a larger flatter area that is much harder to weld without distortion.

Just as when it was sectioned, the door jamb area needed to be cut at the widest point so the two pieces come back together matching. But I Z cut it down to the bottom of the cab so I didn't have to weld right thru the middle of the back panel where welding could be much more difficult.

I brought the cut down literally to the bottom of the cab right at a factory seam.

Welding all across the back with literally no distortion at all. Can you imaging welding all the way across the center of that panel!

Or the cowl, where the cut was made at the widest point in the jamb where with the piece removed the two halves come back together meeting perfectly. Then I Z cut it up to above the fender. Then moved it higher still to cut it across the top of the firewall where I simply trimmed off the sectioned amount from the top of the cowl overhang instead of cutting thru the middle of the firewall which would create all kinds of work.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
tech69 (07-28-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 11:37 PM

Last photo:

Sooooo today I got up went out to the garage with a few minutes I had before heading out of town to bring my wife and daughter to my oldest daughters baby shower. While there the guys went out and did as opposite girly thing as we could, we went to the shooting range and made loud noises.

But I started out by looking to mark the extra piece of the B pillar to use to extend the roof jamb.

I was going to use the extra roof to lengthen the cab by cutting it longer and simply using the front off of the other roof, but it is so darn rusty and I am tired of the rust.

So I have decided to simply lengthen the top and get it over with. And that was that until I am out on the road for two hours driving to my daughters and it hits me, I can cut this piece from the extra roof so I don't need to fab one up! The piece from the B pillar really needs a bunch of work to get it to fit, I might as well fab one from scratch. So using a piece from the donor roof will make this a lot easier.

Brian
Old 07-27-2013, 11:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Be careful where you cut. I doodled a bit showing what would happen near a curved spot compared to a a flatter spot.

Check it out:

Yes, it's a good thing to think about. The cut I will make isn't on much of a curve at all and the skin will simply go where I want. It isn't like it won't move like dropping the roof it's self with slanted windshield posts, it will move where it needs to go. It's only a little bit of a change in height where I am cutting it and the lengthening is only going to be about an inch and a half.

Brian

Old 07-28-2013, 01:43 AM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:

I worked on the exhaust on my 68 caddy. Did some practice welds on the old exhaust pieces till I got it right. That was what went right. The welding a patch panel in under the car to fix the Y pipe didn't go so well. Just couldn't do it right, so now my next goal on the caddy is to get the Y pipe off. Which I am making progress. Got one 45 year old nut off the passenger side, the side with better access. Could not do a thing with a half inch breaker bar on the others, so I did a little hacking with the dremel. Still don't have all the nuts off, one on the driver's side is going to wait till I get a new air hose and a 9/16 impact socket. And hopefully the mac 3/8 impact will be able to break it loose because it would be simpler. The 1/2 inch would require a bit more work to get it on the nut. Basically turn it upside down and maneuver it around the power steering box. After all that I can drop the Y pipe and then do what work needs to be done, or possibly go dual exhaust and scrap most of the Y pipe.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:01 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Felt good enough to try to work on engine other than the cramps and having to run(and I mean run) to the bathroom 10 times in 2 hours, I got some stuff done, vacuumed out all the metal shavings from drilling the pushrod holes bigger, timing cover cleaned off and installed oil pan on after resetting oil pump pick up.
button bolts on back of water pump to clear the composite timing cover.
then got out compressor to fill cyl with air to change out the valve springs for ls9 beehive springs, ever try to compress valve springs with those cheap pry bar type, head on engine spring compressors,
[img]http://www.lulusoso.com/upload/20120...r_VT01288_.jpg[/img]
well, they suck, will be buying the type the screws down
[img]http://www.tooltopia.com/_img/KDT/KDT3271.jpg[/img]
as the pry bar type pushes the spring off center and makes it a ROYAL pain to get the locks in and out.. got 2 done, and called it a day.. as the cramps where getting worse.. and I looked like I just jumped in a pool I was sweating so much.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:51 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I played around with some ospho and a new rust remover ....
I still cant figure out why your having so much trouble ,Brian
I did this in a couple minutes,two different days (drying time)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8901.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	76065   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8902.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	76066   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8912.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	76067   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8916.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	76068   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8917.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	76069  

Old 07-28-2013, 07:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I played around with some ospho and a new rust remover ....
I still cant figure out why your having so much trouble ,Brian
I did this in a couple minutes,two different days (drying time)
I can't either Mke!

Brian
Old 07-28-2013, 08:14 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

today I will be cleaning out the garage and if I'm not feeling too lazy I will reorganize some of the parts for my Mustang. We loosely got a time frame in which I can have it trailered to the shop to finish it off and this works well with me cause I really like to get stuff done working odd hours into the night but the the obstacle is do I want to do that in my own house with a baby inside? Not a chance. I work my arse off everyday for that place in blistering heat and the last thing I want to do is bring that home with me and do the same thing on the weekend. If it's in the shop it's a different story though. So I'm looking forward to getting this done, just not at my house.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,332 Times in 1,081 Posts
My daughter, son in law and grand kids came for the weekend. We will be keeping the girls this week before they go back to school.

Tim and I played in the basement for a while. He has not had much time with a MIG welder so I cut up some pieces of 18, 20, and even some 12 gauge scrap for him to practice on. He really made a lot of progress and by the time we kocked of he was doing some really nice tacks and but welded a couple of pieces of 18ga pieces together. The next time he makes a brace he will get to weld it together himself.

While he was welding I was making a template for the cowl mount and started making a replacement piece but not much to look at yet.

Hopefully I will get a little done while the girls are here. Time will tell. Glad to have them anyway.

John

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.