The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 306 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2013, 06:20 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Let the grand daughters ,help ,they probably love to Help grand paw ,or what they call you im Paw Paw to all my grand children,, you can always correct ANY mistakes Next Week if any are made ,they will remember it ,especially when they get to ride in the Belair..
You know, you are so right, growing up, my Dad owned a service station. When I was real young, about 5 years old, my older brother and I would trade off going there on weekends to spend time with my Dad (he worked there from early morning to late at night, 7 days a week and we never got to see him...almost as though it was our visitation right). My Dad wouldn't let us touch a thing, in fact, his idea of babysitting was to pull a Pepsi out of the pop machine, empty out a bay with a hoist, put us on the hoist, lift it up and turn on the TV. The only way we could get into trouble was to fall off the hoist...and No 5 year old kid would dare a 6 1/2 foot fall. The other weekend would be spent at my Grandparents house. One weekend in particular, my Grandfather was rebuilding his garden tiller engine...I was amazed at how he did everything, he let me clean parts and he explained as he went along...I was in heaven.

The next weekend was my turn at the service station, as soon as I got there, the dime went in the pop machine, the bay with hoist was emptied and while my Dad was doing this, I saw some parts on the bench and asked if I could help by cleaning them. He looked at me, shocked and asked how I knew that they had to be cleaned and I told him that Grandpa had taught me the weekend before on his garden tiller.

Well Dad let me, the rest is history and now that I think about it, maybe it was my Grandpa that really got me interested...Thank God my Dad kept the ball rolling when he realized that I was in fact interested. It probably took about 5 more years but, I do remember rebuilding a 283 on my own before the teenage years hit, because when the teen years hit, I knew everything, or at least I thought so...LOL.

Ray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 08:00 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,013 Posts
Yep, she is a little sweetie!

Brian
Old 07-29-2013, 10:45 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

My grand dad also had a big garage and grandma and grandpa lived upstairs so every time we visited grandma I would slip downstairs and check out the race cars ..he was working on and explore the scrap pile out back even though I was told over and over to stay away from it because I'd get hurt...but grandpa never showed me anything come to think o it I never saw him work on anything he just sat down with his buddies and talked about racing.Anyway I always made dad load up my bike in the trunk so I ride around and have something to do...I had built all of my bikes from spare parts and was always working on it ,changing this and that and every once in a while (well ok all the time) I'd strip a nut and have ask grandpa to please get the nut off with those special plyers (vise grips) well I guess he got tired of constantly replacing nuts and bolts and he welded up every single nut and bolt on my bike so I couldnt take it apart ever again...I guess he and my Dad thought it was funny until they saw the look on my face ...I said thank you but they could tell I was pissedoff.....when we got home I started building another bike and when it was done I put my old welded up bike behind dads car so he wouldnt see it and he backed up right over it...I was only 6 or 7 and I knew I was gonna get my asswhooped but after carefully wieghing out the pros and cons I did it anyway...I didnt think about not being able to sit on my bike for a week or a chair, if I conciderd that I might not have done it but I think I still would have...
Its hard to say if my grand dad had anything to do with me getting into hotrodding (it was always in my blood) but he sure introduced me to welding and I did have a set of torches when I was 15yr old. My dad didnt even have a set,he was into electronics but he was into cars when he was young so he knew a good bit and I'd help him fix our own cars and learn from him.
He never admitted being in on that joke with grandpa and although they thought it was funny at the time they really felt bad about afterwards Thirty years later I still brought it up when we all got together and were reminising. So be carefull with these young minds, the things you say and do good or bad may never be forgoten even something simple you forgot 5 min afterwards...
Besides. you ever see what a bike can do to an exhaust system...
I'd NEVER weld up a kids bike like that, I'd give the kid those vise grips for his own and show him how to use them,who knows 50 years from now he may still have them and be saying: my grandpa ,your great grandpa gave me these when I was your age and now I'm giving them to you...
Old 07-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

I try to let the grand kids (help ) any time they want to also some of the neighbors and friends children they seem so happy just to be there in the shop,, my home shop not the commercial shop ,,with some one some times they sweep up for me and I always pay them something or take them for ice cream I let them work on some job ,I don't think they can mess up any thing I cant fix (after they go home) if they do I didn't need it any way ,,my boys helped when they were young and Kelly primed and painted a nova when he was 13 still has the car he is 39 now ,must have liked it over the weekend he moved from old shop to new 10 bay shop,planning on staying I guess ,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	76135  
Old 07-29-2013, 12:34 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

7-29 004 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
cleaned the timing cover and reinstalled it and new oil pan gasket, and reset the oil pick up depth

7-29 006 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
vortec factory springs, bye bye

7-29 005 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
new ls9 bee hives

7-29 010 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
g.m. hyd roller lifter part #

7-29 009 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
beehives installed

7-29 012 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
lifters installed with moly lube

7-29 013 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr

roller rockers

7-29 015 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
used in the ramjet 350 crate engine 1.6%

made \/ :burn:

7-29 014 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr

7-29 016 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
rockers on, waiting on balancer to freeze so I can install and turn engine over to set the pre load, and no one local has a crank socket..
Old 07-29-2013, 02:53 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post

7-29 004 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
cleaned the timing cover and reinstalled it and new oil pan gasket, and reset the oil pick up depth

7-29 006 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
vortec factory springs, bye bye

7-29 005 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
new ls9 bee hives

7-29 010 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
g.m. hyd roller lifter part #

7-29 009 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
beehives installed

7-29 012 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
lifters installed with moly lube

7-29 013 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr

roller rockers

7-29 015 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
used in the ramjet 350 crate engine 1.6%

made \/ :burn:

7-29 014 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr

7-29 016 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
rockers on, waiting on balancer to freeze so I can install and turn engine over to set the pre load, and no one local has a crank socket..

Looks good.

What brand are the roller rockers?
Old 07-29-2013, 03:27 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Looks good.

What brand are the roller rockers?
proform, the are the ones g.m. uses in their ramjet crate engine, was shocked to see made in china..
Old 07-29-2013, 04:45 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
proform, the are the ones g.m. uses in their ramjet crate engine, was shocked to see made in china..
Stuff that comes from companies that actually do quality control over there may have decent products. This is very rare though.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:10 PM

Last photo:

Guys, if you saw how many GM parts are made in China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea and a few others you would be sick if you care at all about this issue.

I have a few GM cars in here right now with 10-15 parts each with only two or three of those parts on each car being made in North America. Even one made in Canada says "Assembled of imported components".

How about the Chevy emblem on a 2013 Cruze in the shop......the bowtie folks.....made in Korea.

This is why one of the reasons I love the old cars and I avoid repro parts as much as I can because they are often made elsewhere. I'm driving a BUICK or a RAMBLER or a CHEVY, not a friggin Kia or Hongqi, if I wanted one of them I'd buy one! I will repair original parts, I will hunt for NOS, but I am not going to stick a Chinese part on my car! If I can do anything about it that is, it is getting harder and harder. But not as hard as you think, there are still tons of NOS or American Made parts available. It just takes a bunch of work. No more just walking down and buying parts like in the good old days.

Brian

The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
BruceKoukalaka (07-29-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 09:46 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

ice... still made in America.

more fiberglass today-joy!

a huge bus repair and then tomorrow more fiberglass on The Vette.
The good news is I'll be with my daughter at
the monterey bay aquarium on Weds and off the rest of the week.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:46 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Removed the carbs on my Falcon's BBC today. Cleaned them up, and ready for the new accelerator pumps whenever they arrive. Then went over to help the neighbor fix his '91 Camaro RS. Wont run unless he pours gas down the throttle body. Fuel pump works, and gets to the injectors, but it seems the injectors aren't getting a signal to fire. We put in a rebuild kit in the throttle body, and swapped injectors, but when I tested voltage across the injector plug it was zero volts. Checked to ground and one side has 12v. to ground. Appears the ground signal needs to close to complete circuit, and it's not.
Blind leading the blind here, as neither of us has ever fooled with TBI injection engine system! Going to check the fuel pressure tomorrow, to see if it's 10-12 lbs., and then look at distributor to see if the pulse signal is corroded or messed up. Grasping at straws until we learn!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 PM

Last photo:

Today I got my sheetmetal brake out and bolted it to the bench. I haven't had it mounted since I closed up my shop almost 20 years ago! My God does time fly, holy crap that was in 96, wow.

I haven't used it since then and was flying kinda blind on this little piece I had to make to lengthen the roof. It's as easy as they come but when you factor in exact dimensions and a soft bend and all it gets tricky, I figured I would be making a few and have my little practice pile started.

But damn, it came out perfect first try.

Brian
Old 07-29-2013, 11:23 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Removed the carbs on my Falcon's BBC today. Cleaned them up, and ready for the new accelerator pumps whenever they arrive. Then went over to help the neighbor fix his '91 Camaro RS. Wont run unless he pours gas down the throttle body. Fuel pump works, and gets to the injectors, but it seems the injectors aren't getting a signal to fire. We put in a rebuild kit in the throttle body, and swapped injectors, but when I tested voltage across the injector plug it was zero volts. Checked to ground and one side has 12v. to ground. Appears the ground signal needs to close to complete circuit, and it's not.
Blind leading the blind here, as neither of us has ever fooled with TBI injection engine system! Going to check the fuel pressure tomorrow, to see if it's 10-12 lbs., and then look at distributor to see if the pulse signal is corroded or messed up. Grasping at straws until we learn!
I have a 86 Camaro doing the same thing will run as long as I am spraying gas in the injectors,,it is my controller box ( computer ) located under passenger side of yhe dash. could be your problem don't know for sure $99 at autozone
Old 07-30-2013, 06:24 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
ice... still made in America.

more fiberglass today-joy!

a huge bus repair and then tomorrow more fiberglass on The Vette.
The good news is I'll be with my daughter at
the monterey bay aquarium on Weds and off the rest of the week.
Have fun at the aquarium. We were there in March. Be sure to walk Cannery Row and stop at the Otter Store just down the block from the aquarium. My son HAD to have a T-shirt with "The Terminotter" on it....
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
deadbodyman (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 08:10 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Have fun at the aquarium. We were there in March. Be sure to walk Cannery Row and stop at the Otter Store just down the block from the aquarium. My son HAD to have a T-shirt with "The Terminotter" on it....
well if it has the red glowing eyes or maybe the leather jacked and glasses I'll pick one up myself. Thanks for the heads up.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.