The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 310 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013, 07:37 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Good advise Brian ,that works good for me also ,I also replace the nut that comes off with a Brass nut ,I get them at NAPA they hold good and will come off easy the next time they need to be removed ,,don't over tighten .
FOR SURE, don't use the impact to reassemble with brass nuts. The threads will be gone before you can say "oh crap"...

Steel nuts with anti-sieze works well too.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (08-01-2013), silentpoet (08-02-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,327 Times in 1,151 Posts

Just working on the rust.......oh yeah.

Brian
Old 08-01-2013, 09:08 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Finally got the carb parts to get the Falcon running again, but ran into a snag. When I bought these carbs they were missing the nozzles for the pumps, and I didn't know they were gone until I looked inside to see what the flooding problem was.
I got the flooding fixed the other day when it happened, but the carbs wouldn't move fuel through the accelerator circuit, so I ordered new diaphragms to replace the old ones, figuring they had hardened. I put them in today, and when I started the engine, still no fuel. Worked the pump arms and they were stiff and not working again!
I pulled the carb apart again, and checked all the pump cicuit passages, and found a restriction right before the nozzle, which is where the check balls are. Then it hit me....I had snugged the screws down when I noticed the nozzles were missing, and I wanted to be sure they didn't fall out before I got home. In doing so I seated the check balls and they stuck closed!
I made up a small bent wire, and used it to fit down the fuel groove on both sides of the screw slots, and hooked the ball and weight to free them. Once they came loose I re-installed the nozzles and they worked perfectly! Runs fantastic, and better than it has since I got it on the road!
Old 08-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,612 Times in 1,252 Posts
Ordered a carb kit and phenolic spacer for the WCFB in the flathead today. Also,spent some time researching how to wire an LS engine to run in a hot rod with computor. Might be a cool way to go in the Chevy. We took the kids back to Nashville yesterday and got back home this afternoon. Hope to get back to the basement tomorrow.

John
Old 08-01-2013, 09:30 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Finally got the carb parts to get the Falcon running again, but ran into a snag. When I bought these carbs they were missing the nozzles for the pumps, and I didn't know they were gone until I looked inside to see what the flooding problem was.
I got the flooding fixed the other day when it happened, but the carbs wouldn't move fuel through the accelerator circuit, so I ordered new diaphragms to replace the old ones, figuring they had hardened. I put them in today, and when I started the engine, still no fuel. Worked the pump arms and they were stiff and not working again!
I pulled the carb apart again, and checked all the pump cicuit passages, and found a restriction right before the nozzle, which is where the check balls are. Then it hit me....I had snugged the screws down when I noticed the nozzles were missing, and I wanted to be sure they didn't fall out before I got home. In doing so I seated the check balls and they stuck closed!
I made up a small bent wire, and used it to fit down the fuel groove on both sides of the screw slots, and hooked the ball and weight to free them. Once they came loose I re-installed the nozzles and they worked perfectly! Runs fantastic, and better than it has since I got it on the road!
Nice to have a problem be an easy fix that works when done...

I'm making slow, but steady, progress on my '38 finally too...
Old 08-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,327 Times in 1,151 Posts
I came home to an issue with the front door on my house so spent this evening correcting that but did get out to the garage for some rust clean up, yea.

Brian
Old 08-01-2013, 11:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Nice to have a problem be an easy fix that works when done...

I'm making slow, but steady, progress on my '38 finally too...
Well it's a step forward, but like any old car, it took a step back too! When I took it for the test drive I started to roll my window down, and it would only go down about 5"!!! Rolls up and down the first 5" perfect, but no amount of coaxing made it go further.
Gotta pull the door panel tomorrow and see what's up. Always something!
Old 08-02-2013, 02:17 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

after a morning of running to pooop I played in garage for 2 hours before I was back to crapp'n like a jet stream
so I moved tool box down a little ways and added an air line and a water trap that's just for painting, added a ball valve so it's off untill needed, mounted my air reel that I bought late year some time, mounted the little storage boxes/containers(white things on wall) and found a spot for my extra tool dolly.. now gotta read instructions on the brothers p touch labeler so I can lable the draws so I'm not hunting every draw try'n to find crap..
maybe later if my body will stop this #$^# I'll sort the tools to draws and get it organized. so it doesn't take longer to find the tool than doing the job..

garage 001 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr

garage 002 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr

garage 003 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
Old 08-02-2013, 04:40 PM

Last photo:

im waiting for it to cool off a lil bit today so i can start installing new head gaskets on my camaro.

decided to test out the nitrous tune last night and lost the gaskets @ 15 psi of boost + 100 shot.
sticking felpros back in it for now and unhooking the nitrous till i can get a set of commetic head gaskets and head studs here to install
Old 08-02-2013, 04:40 PM

Last photo:

edit

dbl post
Old 08-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Lovin' The Cruzin'

Last photo:

"Cleaned off" the Corvair

Well, okay, I didn't actually work on my '60 Corvair, but I did uncover it to go for a stroll, and found this critter under the cover The kids loved him, and he was still hanging on when I parked it. By the way, my 11 yr old took the picture of the hood--turned out nice--maybe a future in photography?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4089.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	76288  
Old 08-02-2013, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
now gotta read instructions on the brothers p touch labeler so I can lable the draws so I'm not hunting every draw try'n to find crap..
r

lol u dont need labels , just gota do more work so ur going in and out of them more often till u memorize whats in what drawer
Old 08-02-2013, 05:41 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
lol u dont need labels , just gota do more work so ur going in and out of them more often till u memorize whats in what drawer
it's also wife puts tools back in the correct draw..
Old 08-02-2013, 06:30 PM

Last photo:

Pulled my driver's door apart on the Falcon to figure out why the window wouldn't go down. Easy fix, as it was some old rubber in the window channel that was loose and in the way. Just pulled it the rest the way out and it worked great.
Then went down to my buddy's house down the street and we cut the access hole for removing his fuel pump. Got a nice neat hole by drilling one corner with a unibit, and then gradually opening it up to see where we needed to enlarge the hole. We both have plans this weekend, so we'll get back on it Monday.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,612 Times in 1,252 Posts
Spent about 4 hours fooling with the 53 today. The front cowl mount is replaced. Once I get the A pillar area rebuilt I can shim the cowl and get the door alligned again.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.