The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 312 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
thats so all the tree huggers can collect the pans after the car show and say look how much these old cars leak and pollute, so they can try to get them taken off the road lol
I don't think they dreamed it up, they must have had experience with it, a nice new street in a new long time coming development, they want to keep it nice. By the look of all the oil in those pans they weren't to out of line.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 05:16 PM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:

Yesterday I rebuilt one wheel cylinder, passenger front of my 68 caddy. Have the other cylinder ready to rebuild, thought I had a kit but can't find one for the front. I have one for the rear cylinders, but they are smaller. Will have to make a trip to Oreilly's to get one.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
thats so all the tree huggers can collect the pans after the car show and say look how much these old cars leak and pollute, so they can try to get them taken off the road lol
Ther may well be some truth to that! Because (as he switches to a very sarcastic voice here)" "Any car more than 1 year old is a gross polluter and should be crushed" (This message brought to you by the NEW CAR dealers assoc'n!)
Old 08-04-2013, 08:14 PM

Last photo:

First thing I got a haircut.. Several customers were calling me Santa Claus in the past weeks.

Got back to working on the Stude this afternoon after sorting out all the good auction stuff from saturday. I was impressed with some of the goodies I got.. Aluminum radiator for the Stude $8.00. Some BBC blocks for $35.00 ea. 400 turbo trans for $20.00 . Several sets of SBC main and rod bearings for less than 50 cents per set. Plus more goodies. Poor old loaded up Chevy was draggin all the way home..

Helped my work buddy pull the stepside bed off of an S-10 pickup, then got to the Stude

I needed to modify the bolt in frame , front body crossmember. It holds up the door hinge post. Used some 1 1/2" sq tube. bent a smile in it and welded it in to drop the center section down 4" to clear the trans belhousing area. After welding. I cut the old original center section out, boxed the new piece in and and it fit great..

Cleaned up the Mitsu/low alternator bracket I had made earlier and fit it to the BBC that will go into the car. Probably will chrome powder coat it later. Found a lower serpentine pulley. Need to find a w-pump pulley and I can get the charging/cooling system done. Keep everything down low.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,349 Times in 1,093 Posts
Now Bob, you know better than this. Where are our pictures?

John
Old 08-04-2013, 10:11 PM

Last photo:

Today I got the front of the roof back up on the cab, WHOOO HOOOO! It's looking good, I am spending a little more time on this cab than I did the first time, it's lining up good.

Brian

Old 08-04-2013, 10:19 PM

Last photo:

Oh, and by the way, when you are welding remove your wedding ring! DAMN I forgot and will NOT make that mistake again, I am burnt but good. YEOW no ring tomorrow, it will be the first day I haven't worn my ring in a number of years.

Brian

Old 08-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

[QUOTE=MARTINSR;1701722]Today I got the front of the roof back up on the cab, WHOOO HOOOO! It's looking good, I am spending a little more time on this cab than I did the first time, it's lining up good.

Brian[quote]

Looking good Brian. i am thankful I didn't have get on to you about the picture like I did Bob.

Just kidding Bob. (not really)

John
Old 08-04-2013, 10:24 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Oh, and by the way, when you are welding remove your wedding ring! DAMN I forgot and will NOT make that mistake again, I am burnt but good. YEOW no ring tomorrow, it will be the first day I haven't worn my ring in a number of years.

Brian

I gotta ask. How in the Blue Blazes did you do that?
Old 08-04-2013, 10:48 PM

Last photo:

I was holding something while I tacked it. The metal ball flew over and welded it's self to my ring! I had to file it off and will sand and polish it tomorrow. Bless my wife, she was more concerned about my finger than the ring.

Brian
Old 08-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

[QUOTE=Too Many Projects;1700286]Been working on the '38 for weeks now. Many surprises and set backs along the way but it is starting to shape up.

[URL=http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Stillwaterchevs/media/1938%20chev%20street%20rod/DSCN3689_zps5d53ce61.jpg.html][/URL

Too Many Projects
I'm concerned about your electric fan installation. If it rotates clockwise, as seen in the photo, it's going to be pulling hot air off the engine and pushing it through the rad from the back side.
If it rotates counter-clockwise it won't be very efficient because it will be turning backwards. That is, the trailing edge of the blades, the thin concave edge, will be acting as the leading edge. If this is the case the thin edge may deflect, not move much air and be very noisy.
It looks to me as though you have a pusher fan installed as a puller style.

I worked in the marine propulsion industry for many years so I had to be very aware of this type of thing. Blades mounted backwards was a big no-no.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I was holding something while I tacked it. The metal ball flew over and welded it's self to my ring! I had to file it off and will sand and polish it tomorrow. Bless my wife, she was more concerned about my finger than the ring.

Brian
i guess I need to learn from you. I rarely take my ring off. I will try to do that in the future though.

John
Old 08-04-2013, 11:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
i guess I need to learn from you. I rarely take my ring off. I will try to do that in the future though.

John
I never even wore it when I was working on cars every day. And since I went to the office I was thrilled to put it on. But yes, while working you need to remove it. And this sucker BURNT my finger like nothing I have ever done, quite a different burn. It was burning and I didn't know why thinking the metal ball just hit my finger. Then I looked and saw the thing there, it burnt my finger all under the ring with the skin instantly peeling off! Yeah, learn from me John, don't make the same mistake!

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (08-04-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 04:27 AM

Last photo:

Quit wearing rings , in the garage, when mine got shorted between a starter hot post and a bracket. Melted it onto my finger. Couldn't get my hand out quick.. Danged old Corvair..
Old 08-05-2013, 04:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Now Bob, you know better than this. Where are our pictures?

John

Left the camera in other vehicle, as usual.. will try tuesday.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.