The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 313 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2013, 06:24 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

[quote=evolvo;1701734]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Been working on the '38 for weeks now. Many surprises and set backs along the way but it is starting to shape up.

Too Many Projects
I'm concerned about your electric fan installation. If it rotates clockwise, as seen in the photo, it's going to be pulling hot air off the engine and pushing it through the rad from the back side.
If it rotates counter-clockwise it won't be very efficient because it will be turning backwards. That is, the trailing edge of the blades, the thin concave edge, will be acting as the leading edge. If this is the case the thin edge may deflect, not move much air and be very noisy.
It looks to me as though you have a pusher fan installed as a puller style.

I worked in the marine propulsion industry for many years so I had to be very aware of this type of thing. Blades mounted backwards was a big no-no.
The fan is made by Cooling Components and can be wired to run either direction. It is most efficient as a puller with the blades turning counter-clockwise. No idea why it is made that way but it moves a LOT of air (2500 cfm) and brings the temp down nicely. It is 2 speed and when I get the A/C working next year, it will be wired to run progressively starting on low and going to high as demand increases. For now, it is on high thru a 70 amp relay and YES, it is noisy when standing outside the car but I can't hear it at all inside.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 08:24 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
Left the camera in other vehicle, as usual.. will try tuesday.
Can't wait to see the Stude Bob! Sounds like it's really coming along!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
i guess I need to learn from you. I rarely take my ring off. I will try to do that in the future though.

John
Had two bad accidents to my ring finger when I was working. The first wasn't real bad, so I didn't learn. The second was bad enough to bury the ring under the skin on my ring finger and it had to be surgically removed from under the skin when I jumped off piece of equipment and it got caught.
I never wore the ring again for the last 20 years I worked, but began again after I retired. I still take it off or wear gloves to protect me and the ring now.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

[quote=Too Many Projects;1701772]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post

The fan is made by Cooling Components and can be wired to run either direction. It is most efficient as a puller with the blades turning counter-clockwise. No idea why it is made that way but it moves a LOT of air (2500 cfm) and brings the temp down nicely. It is 2 speed and when I get the A/C working next year, it will be wired to run progressively starting on low and going to high as demand increases. For now, it is on high thru a 70 amp relay and YES, it is noisy when standing outside the car but I can't hear it at all inside.
It's a lot of work but on a lot of the fans I've seen you can remove a clip and slide the fan off the "D" shaft and turn it over. If you did that your fan would be oriented correctly.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
Quit wearing rings , in the garage, when mine got shorted between a starter hot post and a bracket. Melted it onto my finger. Couldn't get my hand out quick.. Danged old Corvair..
A friend welded the links together on his watch band when he shorted it between battery "+" post and something steel on his car while installing a new battery. He learned to ALWAYS take the "-" cable off first and put it back on last!
Old 08-05-2013, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

Helped my buddy again today with his '91 Camaro. We cut in an access door to the gas tank, to remove the fuel pump. Pulled the ring and lifted the assembly up high enough to get the lines off the tank surface. Then I used a small hand hacksaw to cut each line on both sides of the 90 degree bends, and removed the pump assembly.
We noticed right away the short connector hose from the fuel pump to the tubing was rotted away! If it had rotted much more it would have fallen into the tank! We decided to replace the pump, although I'm pretty sure it was OK, but a new pump was only $40. anyway. Got it all replaced and dropped back in, and reconnected the lines using high pressure rubber fuel line and clamps. Doubled up clamps on the high pressure feed line, just to ensure no leaks.
Started it up and checked for leaks, and she's running like new! I left the rest for him to make up a access door, and put the carpets back. Should be a great daily driver car for him now, and for a long time to come!
Old 08-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
hey malc i took some pics and measurements for ya today, ill get them posted for ya sometime tommorow after i get the pics resized and all that, its damn near 11 already and i gota be back to work at 5am ughhhh
Did I miss them somewhere ?
Old 08-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Helped my buddy again today with his '91 Camaro. We cut in an access door to the gas tank, to remove the fuel pump. Pulled the ring and lifted the assembly up high enough to get the lines off the tank surface. Then I used a small hand hacksaw to cut each line on both sides of the 90 degree bends, and removed the pump assembly.
We noticed right away the short connector hose from the fuel pump to the tubing was rotted away! If it had rotted much more it would have fallen into the tank! We decided to replace the pump, although I'm pretty sure it was OK, but a new pump was only $40. anyway. Got it all replaced and dropped back in, and reconnected the lines using high pressure rubber fuel line and clamps. Doubled up clamps on the high pressure feed line, just to ensure no leaks.
Started it up and checked for leaks, and she's running like new! I left the rest for him to make up a access door, and put the carpets back. Should be a great daily driver car for him now, and for a long time to come!

went down to Summitt yesterday picked up my fuel cell 20x26x10 ==20 gallon ,problem is fuel line have to come out front to fit in the space behind rear emd on my truck ,the drop down and hoses cant face rear ,because of bumper brackets on the side spring perches are in the way ,will it be a problem facing the front, I was going to take photos camera battery was dead ,will take some tomorrow when I pull it back out to paint brackets,
Old 08-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,280 Times in 1,039 Posts
This afternoon I replaced the cord on a fan timer I got from my dad before he passed away. It is a Western Auto timer and has a date stamp on it of 4/75. It is just perfect for battery operated tools. You can plug the charger into it, set it for 3 hours or whatever is appropriate and forget it. After the pre-set time the charger cuts off and your batteries are saved. Every time I use it I think of Dad. Pretty cool.

After I fixed the timer I made a small patch to repair a little rust under the accelerator pedal but didn't get it tacked in. Went to the Sonic and hung out tonight. We had a great turn out but I forgot to take pictures until the cars had pretty well cleared out.

All in all a very nice day.. Oh yea, My wife says she loves me.

John

Old 08-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Did you eat a Coney dog and Tater tot for me ...LOL

Aint it nice to know some one loves you ,

Good evening Mrs Long ' Don't know if I could call you Barb .
David
Old 08-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,280 Times in 1,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Did you eat a Coney dog and Tater tot for me ...LOL

Aint it nice to know some one loves you ,

Good evening Mrs Long ' Don't know if I could call you Barb .
David
Yea, you can call her Barb. She says hi, and I did eat a Cheeseburger for you. See, I told you it was a good day.

John
Old 08-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Today I.....

Today I reinforced and renewed my deep, passionate and abiding hatred for 2 stroke engines.

I was going to take the leaf blower and go up on the roof of the shop and get the pine needles all off. Fueled up the blower, set the choke, set the throttle lock, switched the ignition on, hit the primer a few times, pulled the cord and yanked it out by the roots! (Strike one)

So I pulled it all apart, put in a new cord, re-wound the spring etc. (Not, by the way, my most favorite pastime!)

And repeated the above steps.

I pulled and pulled and pulled and pulled and pulled and pulled and pulled and (etc.) Not even a "pop". It was running perfectly yesterday when I blew the needles off the front half of roof! Arrrrgh! (Strike two)

OK, put that aside, grab the chainsaw, trim the branch that is too close to the driveway.

Fuel it up (it was in use last week), set choke, switch on , set throttle lock, and pull and pull and pull and pull and..... (Strike 3)

Did I mention that I don't much care for 2-stroke engines?

Then, since I am installing (finally) the ceiling in my shop, I gotta make sure all my electrical outlets are OK, before I cover up all the wiring that goes through the "Attic". So, grab my trouble light, plug it in into the first outlet. Nothing. Plug into next one. Nothing. Third outlet. Nothing. So I go back to the house for a new bulb. Now ALL 26 outlets work! (At least something does!) Did I happen to mention that I HATE 2-cycle engines?

Then go outside and check the OUTSIDE outlets. All work, too! (Hurray!)

Hmmmmm - I had also wired in outlets up under the eaves for decorative Christmas lights, and wired them through a timer inside the shop. Better check them, too.
Switch on the power to the timer, set the timer to "ON" and go up a ladder, plug into the Christmas light outlet. Yup, light is ON! Go back inside, switch timer off - light is still on! Take cover off timer - check wiring. Seems OK, but lets see if I reverse these two wires (circuit breaker pops) OK - put them back where they were.

Get out the VOM and check the wring. Timer is defective - it sends power through ALL the time. Grrrr...

Gotta get a new timer tomorrow and install it, then re-test that circuit.

Oh - and just in case anyone should ask - I hate 2-stroke engines!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave57210 For This Useful Post:
BruceKoukalaka (08-05-2013), John long (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 08:49 PM

Last journal entry: Getting it together.
Last photo:

got the floor fixed in my '53 'Binder for the rear body mounts, and repaired my oxy/acetylene cart. (while doing this I seem to have misplaced the wrench for the acet. tank GRRRRR!!!)
Old 08-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,124 Times in 998 Posts
Tonight I did what I believe is very important when making modifications and that is getting it out side and getting a good look at it. Now, in my case I have to envision the rest of the truck. But with photos that I have been studying I have a pretty good idea so I can fake it. It may not be perfect but at least it got rolled out and I didn't make these every so important decisions cramped in the back corner of a garage.

I wore my welding gloves tonight, wow, what a concept!

After seven hundred more measurements I got the front of the roof tacked back on! WHOOO HOOOO! You can see that all the clamps are removed and even the wood spacers I used at the front. Damn it's moving forward.......5 minutes at a time!

Brian
Old 08-05-2013, 10:35 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

I really like the proportions of that roof line!! The added length and the windshield layback looks excellent!
Nice look!

BB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4270_zpsda6eb0ec.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	76388  
The Following User Says Thank You to boothboy For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (08-05-2013)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.