The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 314 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
Thanks, yeah the thinking about it all day at work is paying off.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 11:18 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

nice work there, Brian. If I ever do a chop hopefully it's on a pick up too and I'll be checking your project build for ideas.

As for what I worked on today, An old GTO. These cars don't like guide coat. You have to really find the imperfections on the areas that go in(round block or edge of block), about 5-6 inches down from the top of the quarters and fenders. Those parts were stripped and worked by another tech. Did an ok job but he missed all those areas. So when I blocked one fender I went directly to the other cause some of the things I found were suspicious as if the imperfections were factory, and some were but they didn't match. So I'm thinking from the factory some imperfections were left. I just kept the most subtle ones and matched the other side. An area like that was the rear of the fender near the top but below the peak. This car is a hand feel car and asked the manager to let us block this one, but he'll probably not listen to us as usual. Hey, what do we know anyways?

Last edited by tech69; 08-05-2013 at 11:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tech69 For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (08-05-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 06:43 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Tonight I did what I believe is very important when making modifications and that is getting it out side and getting a good look at it. Now, in my case I have to envision the rest of the truck. But with photos that I have been studying I have a pretty good idea so I can fake it. It may not be perfect but at least it got rolled out and I didn't make these every so important decisions cramped in the back corner of a garage.

After seven hundred more measurements I got the front of the roof tacked back on! WHOOO HOOOO! You can see that all the clamps are removed and even the wood spacers I used at the front. Damn it's moving forward.......5 minutes at a time!

Brian
May be too late to say anything but the front looks too low by about 1/4" The side window looks pinched at the front and the drip rail doesn't run parallel to the door. Just a visual observation.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:26 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Tonight I did what I believe is very important when making modifications and that is getting it out side and getting a good look at it. Now, in my case I have to envision the rest of the truck. But with photos that I have been studying I have a pretty good idea so I can fake it. It may not be perfect but at least it got rolled out and I didn't make these every so important decisions cramped in the back corner of a garage.

Brian
I agree with BB. Your proportions are right on. i am enjoying your thread sooo much.

I envy your level driveway. Mine angles down just enough that I can't push a car in and out by hand.

John
Old 08-06-2013, 07:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
May be too late to say anything but the front looks too low by about 1/4" The side window looks pinched at the front and the drip rail doesn't run parallel to the door. Just a visual observation.
It is, and the is the look I am playing with. I can bring it up still but I am just playing with it right now.

All too often when they are exactly the same front and rear they look too high in the front, so I thought I would see how this works for me. The 53 Corvette that I am using as inspiration on my truck had a look like the roof was lower in the front than the back. But it's never too late! I can cut and move and will be looking at it again.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 08-06-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:18 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

I like chops that have a slight angle down in front myself. Some also look better with the roof angled down towards the rear in big sedans. Rarely does it aesthetically look good to my eye if it's dead level or parallel.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
It is, and the is the look I am playing with. I can bring it up still but I am just playing with it right now.

All too often when they are exactly the same front and rear they look too high in the front, so I thought I would see how this works for me. The 53 Corvette that I am using as inspiration on my truck had a look like the roof was lower in the front than the back. But it's never too late! I can cut and move and will be looking at it again.

Brian

IMO didn't all of the AD cabs have a slight rake to the front,and from the pictures I don't see the pinch refered to is the door sits inside the opening and the angle of the picture is deceiving,when rain gutter is installed every thing will be flush and look good,,i am going on these pictures

Brian ;Couldn't help my self
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Asofnow 1950 panel 3100.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	825.7 KB
ID:	76398   Click image for larger version

Name:	thCAENYWBM.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	76399   Click image for larger version

Name:	DocImage64_zps1ac0fb15.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	76400  
Old 08-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
I like chops that have a slight angle down in front myself. Some also look better with the roof angled down towards the rear in big sedans. Rarely does it aesthetically look good to my eye if it's dead level or parallel.

I agree 100%
Old 08-06-2013, 09:19 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
What is funny is you need to go a little further on the front to make it level, in other words cutting your amount out of a horizontal line not 4" out of the front posts the same as the back posts, the front posts being angled will mean you are only cutting about 3 3/4" out of the horizontal line! If you google these trucks chopped you will see a number of them that have an up hill look. If a mistake is made and the roof is slanted towards the front that is a lot better mistake to make than slanting down towards the back!

But yeah, it's all in the look you want, there are many, MANY ways to chop a top, the amount you cut out is just one of the MANY different things to think about.

Brian
Old 08-06-2013, 09:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
IMO didn't all of the AD cabs have a slight rake to the front,and from the pictures I don't see the pinch refered to is the door sits inside the opening and the angle of the picture is deceiving,when rain gutter is installed every thing will be flush and look good,,i am going on these pictures

Brian ;Couldn't help my self
And that photo of mine shows that I chopped it level, but it really does have an up hill look because I should have gone just a tad more in the front in my opinion.

Brian
Old 08-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

I also like the slight rake ,the panel shows more detail as to the angle,the small wedge above the door of the panel is a good example,
Old 08-06-2013, 12:57 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
And that photo of mine shows that I chopped it level, but it really does have an up hill look because I should have gone just a tad more in the front in my opinion.

Brian
I'm not getting any "uphill" look to my eyes Brian. Looking at your truck with the building behind it, I see the siding level, and the roof appears to drop in front slightly, so it appears to be slightly lower in front, which looks right to my eyes. Not sure how it all measures out, as that doesn't have much relevance if it has the right look.
Stance and chop both affect the look of a car. Sometimes a car that has a little more rake downhill will look better with a level chop, where a downhill chop on the same car will look even more radical.
I get people telling me they like the "nose up" look on my Austin, when it's nearly dead level. But the body lines all drop so drastically that even with less than 1" difference from front to back, it makes the car look like it's going uphill sitting still. The amount of wheelwell clearance front to back above the tires also adds to the illusion.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I'm not getting any "uphill" look to my eyes Brian. Looking at your truck with the building behind it, I see the siding level, and the roof appears to drop in front slightly, so it appears to be slightly lower in front, which looks right to my eyes. Not sure how it all measures out, as that doesn't have much relevance if it has the right look.
Stance and chop both affect the look of a car. Sometimes a car that has a little more rake downhill will look better with a level chop, where a downhill chop on the same car will look even more radical.
I get people telling me they like the "nose up" look on my Austin, when it's nearly dead level. But the body lines all drop so drastically that even with less than 1" difference from front to back, it makes the car look like it's going uphill sitting still. The amount of wheelwell clearance front to back above the tires also adds to the illusion.
I'm sorry if that was confusing, I was referring to this photo he posted, which is my truck with the original cab I chopped when I was a kid.

The cab I am chopping now is not going "up hill" but "down hill". Poor expression and confusing I know now. I will use a better way to describe it as leaning down in the front or leaning up in the front. The old chop on the red truck in the picture though level kinda looks like it's leaning up in the front. That is what I was referring to. And yes ILLUSION is a big part of all this, you can often toss out the measuring tape and just LOOK and make it what you want.

Brian
Old 08-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

Brian,
It doesn't have to BE right, it just has to LOOK right!
Old 08-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Sorry to cause the confusion ,after all of yhe projects all of you have been working on ,my project loohs like a small job ,but it had to be done

yesterday I cut and bent the brackets for the front and rear of my fuel cell ,they wrap around the tank and then bolt to the frame at the top then a strap goes from front bracket to the rear bracket connecting them together as a cage. painted yjem today with POR 15. my hands are proof that stuff wont come off yout skin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank brackets 001.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	76424   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank brackets 002.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	76425  

Last edited by 496CHEVY3100; 08-06-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.