The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 317 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2013, 06:46 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwyhogg View Post
Don't judge....
Hey,hwy's back...where you been???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 06:53 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Now the nervous anxiety begins. Good luck on the welding it in.

John
Looks like a super nice seam....

All you need for the welding is patience and LOTS of it....

With a small bead and going slow, that seam shouldn't need but a skim of filler to hide.

Did I mention patience ?? I would have trouble with that and tend to want to keep going to see it done.

I have the same butt weld clamps as on the sides but to me, they leave too big a gap to bridge nicely. Do you have a copper strip to clamp underneath as a backer ? I have used one for gaps like that with better results than leaving it open.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post

With a small bead and going slow, that seam shouldn't need but a skim of filler to hide.

Did I mention patience ?? I would have trouble with that and tend to want to keep going to see it done.

I have the same butt weld clamps as on the sides but to me, they leave too big a gap to bridge nicely. Do you have a copper strip to clamp underneath as a backer ? I have used one for gaps like that with better results than leaving it open.
copper probably works best but you can use aluminum too.
I dont understand why theres a strip there ,didnt you use two roofs ? it seems there should only be one seam on each side...why two?
Old 08-09-2013, 07:11 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I only wish I had a cool deal going together like Brian, et al, but my AC took a dump (condenser fan blade broke) and my whole freaking day was spent working on it. Could've been a two hour job- tops, if not for the "technician" who replaced the motor while I was in FL 9 years ago caring for Mom. Besides charging $400 to replace a motor that retails today for $80.00, he used no antiseize on the bare steel shaft, hub or set screws so the fan was basically as one w/the motor shaft. In trying to remove the fan, I damaged the motor's endplate beyond repair. Dam.

Thankfully I found a good low-hours used motor locally, along w/a fan blade from another local source. So while all this scrounging around cost me a lot of time, it did save me a chunk of change. The parts were $70 total ($35 motor and $30 new fan blade) so I suppose all in all it wasn't that bad. And considering the fan blade didn't take out the condenser, I was REAL lucky.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
I only wish I had a cool deal going together like Brian, et al, but my AC took a dump (condenser fan blade broke) and my whole freaking day was spent working on it. Could've been a two hour job- tops, if not for the "technician" who replaced the motor while I was in FL 9 years ago caring for Mom. Besides charging $400 to replace a motor that retails today for $80.00, he used no antiseize on the bare steel shaft, hub or set screws so the fan was basically as one w/the motor shaft. In trying to remove the fan, I damaged the motor's endplate beyond repair. Dam.

Thankfully I found a good low-hours used motor locally, along w/a fan blade from another local source. So while all this scrounging around cost me a lot of time, it did save me a chunk of change. The parts were $70 total ($35 motor and $30 new fan blade) so I suppose all in all it wasn't that bad. And considering the fan blade didn't take out the condenser, I was REAL lucky.
This is a bad month to be without A/C here in Ga.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:32 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Now the nervous anxiety begins. Good luck on the welding it in.

John
It's funny you should say that because I have been tossing around whether to gas or MIG weld it. I haven't gas welded something like this in a few decades......I have decided to MIG it. Taking my time skipping around and literally taking many days to weld this, it's not a problem. I plan on getting it tacked together well enough to remove the supports and then leave it like that until have more of the top done then come back and finish it up.

Brian
Old 08-09-2013, 07:33 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I dont understand why theres a strip there ,didnt you use two roofs ? it seems there should only be one seam on each side...why two?

I took the chaap way out .I took a piece of 3/4 copper pipe flattened it in a vice it is easy to bend to match the curve of the panel.

took another piece 12 in long only flattened 6in on one end and rubber coated the other for a handle for small welds that I can reach behind.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:34 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Because I didn't use the other roof, it was just too damn rusty. I felt that all that work to get the rust off it was a hell of a lot more work than simply putting this strip in.

Brian
Old 08-09-2013, 07:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post

The side seams are for some reason a little bigger and I have no control over them. I am going to work with them a little more before I weld but so far I haven't been able to close them up tight. I don't like those "Butt weld" clamps either and actually didn't even own any. When I got the roof up there last weekend I ran over to HF and bought the ones you see. I hadn't thought about the copper backing that we have discussed, I may go ahead and put on in there. I need another ten pairs of these C clamp vice grips I swear. I thought I had a few more, kinda ticking me off because I think someone at work may have them. I know I loaned out a couple tools that have now disappeared, TICKS me off. I know they aren't "steeling" them, they aren't those kinda guys. But just neglectful kinda crap not respecting the tools owner is more like it.

Across the roof though the seams are TIGHT. It may look like in the photo there is a gap, but there isn't, it is TIGHT.

Brian
Old 08-09-2013, 07:46 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
got nothing done, doctors mon/wens/thurs/Friday(tomorrow) and then wait on test.. yet again..
so only thing I've done is order some parts and research info for my other cars, really need to get the printer working..
and find out how to transfer ei favorites to another computer, I fixed my other laptop and want to use it in the garage..
and would like all my car bookmarks on it.. without manually adding them all one by one.

Good luck on your tests, I don't remember you talking about what these tests are, but what ever they are, hope all goes well.

Brian
Old 08-09-2013, 07:48 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

That's a lot of welding! Always enjoy it, but it's so easy to warp, even when I take my time and jump around during the tacking!

I did some tuning on the Falcon yesterday. Just checking timing, idle-air mixture, and driving after each adjustment. Hope it's ready for the drags later this month. Wish I had a safe area to make some short runs nearby.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Because I didn't use the other roof, it was just too damn rusty. I felt that all that work to get the rust off it was a hell of a lot more work than simply putting this strip in.

Brian
Ahh, so why didnt you just blast the old section of roof???
Old 08-09-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
I took the chaap way out .I took a piece of 3/4 copper pipe flattened it in a vice it is easy to bend to match the curve of the panel.

took another piece 12 in long only flattened 6in on one end and rubber coated the other for a handle for small welds that I can reach behind.
LOL, thats exactly what I did and it works like a champ..
Old 08-09-2013, 08:00 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
It's funny you should say that because I have been tossing around whether to gas or MIG weld it. I haven't gas welded something like this in a few decades......I have decided to MIG it. Taking my time skipping around and literally taking many days to weld this, it's not a problem. I plan on getting it tacked together well enough to remove the supports and then leave it like that until have more of the top done then come back and finish it up.

Brian
does that heatsink type clay or putty(whatever it is) work or is it just a sales gimmick

next up you'll do a 3/4 1/4 on a 65-67 gto or 60's caddy.. now those look like fun to butt weld..
I didn't even try, I cut the old 1/4 off, lined up the new, put it together with butt weld clamps and clinko'd and vice grips and called dad over.. he was like thanks, couldn't spring for full 1/4's for the gto.. thanks buddy, is his last words before say'n this is gonna cost ya..
Old 08-09-2013, 08:01 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
That's a lot of welding! Always enjoy it, but it's so easy to warp, even when I take my time and jump around during the tacking!

I did some tuning on the Falcon yesterday. Just checking timing, idle-air mixture, and driving after each adjustment. Hope it's ready for the drags later this month. Wish I had a safe area to make some short runs nearby.
When I did the original cab all those years ago, I warped the ever loving crap out that sucker! I literally had TWO GALLONS of filler on the roof! Literally, before sanding, TWO GALLONS! It was an inch thick in some spots! I measured it years later with a large C clamp, it was OVER an inch thick! LOL

Back then we were going to NSRA events and they had the "Streethanica" I forget what it's name was. But basically it was an "Autocross" track like the Goodguys are doing now, but I believe a little higher speeds. Anyway my friends and I joked about how I couldn't run in that event because if the truck flipped over spectators would be killed by the flying chunk of bondo from the roof.

The chops or mods to large panels after that little lesson were done very different, as in this top. I brought that seam all the way back to the rear of the cab where it is supported so much more by the curved area. Move the cut to where every you want. You can cut the structure where it needs to be for proper alignment but you can move the cut like this anywhere you want.

Brian

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.