The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 318 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2013, 08:04 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,235 Times in 1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
does that heatsink type clay or putty(whatever it is) work or is it just a sales gimmick

next up you'll do a 3/4 1/4 on a 65-67 gto or 60's caddy.. now those look like fun to butt weld..
I didn't even try, I cut the old 1/4 off, lined up the new, put it together with butt weld clamps and clinko'd and vice grips and called dad over.. he was like thanks, couldn't spring for full 1/4's for the gto.. thanks buddy, is his last words before say'n this is gonna cost ya..
Personally I think it's a joke, though I have never used it. The trick is to simply control your heat, you don't need a clay levy to get in your way. You keep your heat under control. I will weld this very hot as far as weld settings, but very fast. The "cooler" weld takes longer to get good penetration, thus heating the surrounding metal more. So a quick, HOT weld gets the job done without creating a lot of heat.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 08:06 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
That's a lot of welding! Always enjoy it, but it's so easy to warp, even when I take my time and jump around during the tacking!

I did some tuning on the Falcon yesterday. Just checking timing, idle-air mixture, and driving after each adjustment. Hope it's ready for the drags later this month. Wish I had a safe area to make some short runs nearby.

After they stopped the wed night grudge runs at our local track . we could rent the track for test and tune ,mebe your local will do the same.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:07 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Ahh, so why didnt you just blast the old section of roof???

Too much work, it was REALLY rusted. I am sitting there looking at this flaky rusted roof to replace a pretty much shiny metal roof, didn't make any sense to me. That little strip of metal (1.5 inch) isn't a big deal. It's a lot better than cleaning up a top in poor condition when I had this one ready to rock.

Brian
Old 08-09-2013, 08:14 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

half the welding is done by the cut, and that's a good clean cut. Should weld up nice and if he has access to planish them out even better.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:17 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

theres a softer welding wire out there I think its called" EZ grind" has anyone used it? I'll bet it makes hammer and dollying the welds a lot easier.. I'd try it but I havent seen it here..
Old 08-09-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
does that heatsink type clay or putty(whatever it is) work or is it just a sales gimmick

next up you'll do a 3/4 1/4 on a 65-67 gto or 60's caddy.. now those look like fun to butt weld..
I didn't even try, I cut the old 1/4 off, lined up the new, put it together with butt weld clamps and clinko'd and vice grips and called dad over.. he was like thanks, couldn't spring for full 1/4's for the gto.. thanks buddy, is his last words before say'n this is gonna cost ya..
I've never used it either but always wanted too. If I'm welding something critical like a hood or a roof I'll place wet towelson both sides of the seam to be welded they suck up the excess heat keeping it from warping ,it really works for me. now it makes sence that welding something on the side of a car like a 1/4 the clay would stick to the sides better than wet towels held in place with magnets ...Thats a PITA...If I knew the clay worked I'd run right down and get some...I do know that the clay used to remove overspray works ,thats something I thought was a gimmic and never tried ...
Old 08-09-2013, 10:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I've never used it either but always wanted too. If I'm welding something critical like a hood or a roof I'll place wet towelson both sides of the seam to be welded they suck up the excess heat keeping it from warping ,it really works for me. now it makes sence that welding something on the side of a car like a 1/4 the clay would stick to the sides better than wet towels held in place with magnets ...Thats a PITA...If I knew the clay worked I'd run right down and get some...I do know that the clay used to remove overspray works ,thats something I thought was a gimmic and never tried ...

You are right Mike, but have you ever seen that clay mentioned on the Metal meet sites or anything like that, I never have that I can remember. But I am certainly no "tin man" that's for sure.

PUGSY! Does this stuff work?

Brian
Old 08-09-2013, 10:26 AM

Last photo:

Hey Mike, how about welding my top up with the ospho there? Do I need to remove it in the weld areas?

Brian
Old 08-09-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Hey Mike, how about welding my top up with the ospho there? Do I need to remove it in the weld areas?

Brian
LOL, I'd love to weld your top up for you Brian but your so far away I'm sure you can hndle it....just messin wit ya I know what you ment. you can weld through the Ospho but if your as particular about your welds as I am and want consistant and pretty welds you need to run your fiber rol-loc over the edges before welding I dont really like grinding bare metal but you can grind the edges quick if you want but as you know when welding cleaner is better...Just dont forget that Ospho is on there when the time comes for primer...If your anything like me that will take some time I hate covering up my work with primer after all it took to get there..If there was such a thing as clear epoxy I'd use that and drive around in it...wouldnt that be better than nice,shiney paint covering everything up...
Old 08-09-2013, 01:38 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
theres a softer welding wire out there I think its called" EZ grind" has anyone used it? I'll bet it makes hammer and dollying the welds a lot easier.. I'd try it but I havent seen it here..
that sounds awesome as the welds always seem much harder than the metal that surrounds. Please let us know if you hear anything else about it.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:48 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

moving on up to cable internet and tv as dsl is painfully slow at times and uploading video is go take a nap slow..
so try'n to wire up the surround sound receiver that I bought in 2001 and forgot I had... wife wanted the computer desk in the extra room and asked me to move some ungodly heavy black thing..
it's only 85 lb's whats the problem..
so I was like cool.. but what a wiring headache..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bk6.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	888.5 KB
ID:	76515  
Old 08-09-2013, 04:42 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
Quit wearing rings , in the garage, when mine got shorted between a starter hot post and a bracket. Melted it onto my finger. Couldn't get my hand out quick.. Danged old Corvair..
I was about 16 when I grounded my twistoflex watch band between the batt term on a Ford regulator and the fender. Burned my left wrist bad, and the two middle fingers on my right hand, peeling the watch off of my burnt wrist. Lesson learned : never wear anything metal around electricity.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr View Post
I was about 16 when I grounded my twistoflex watch band between the batt term on a Ford regulator and the fender. Burned my left wrist bad, and the two middle fingers on my right hand, peeling the watch off of my burnt wrist. Lesson learned : never wear anything metal around electricity.
I have to tell you guys, this burn I got is not like any burn I have ever had. This sucker got cooked! It isn't healing, it's funky big time. That little metal ball did one heck of a number on my ring finger.

Brian
Old 08-09-2013, 05:14 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
got nothing done, doctors mon/wens/thurs/Friday(tomorrow) and then wait on test.. yet again..
so only thing I've done is order some parts and research info for my other cars, really need to get the printer working..
and find out how to transfer ei favorites to another computer, I fixed my other laptop and want to use it in the garage..
and would like all my car bookmarks on it.. without manually adding them all one by one.
Download google chrome and import your bookmarks. Then when you log in they are on any computer you use. I did it and love it. Even if your computer is hit by a meteorite, your bookmarks are alive and well on your google chrome.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:37 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I have to tell you guys, this burn I got is not like any burn I have ever had. This sucker got cooked! It isn't healing, it's funky big time. That little metal ball did one heck of a number on my ring finger.

Brian
Brian, I know too well what you mean. I got a big ball of cutting torch slag under my belt right above my right hip. I was twenty feet up on an extension ladder, cutting overhead and couldn't do anything about that ball of slag until I got down off of the ladder. Took over three months for the burn to heal over. It was very painful. No insurance, so didn't see a doctor, just got some big square band aids. Was neosporin even invented yet ? It happened in '86 .

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.