The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 324 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,279 Times in 1,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Brian google X-10. Don't be afraid of their site or prices. Their stuff works. I've been using their products for 20 yrs or so.

It must be catching. The neighbors house got robbed last week end for about 40 grand. Lived here for 30 years and never a problem. My personal choice of protection, a Winchester Model 12 Riot 12 ga. Shotgun and 10 St. Bernards. It's pretty hard to sneak around my property with out being noticed,

BB
Thanks BB, I'll look into the X-10. Yep my favorite home defense is a good old 820, extended magazine, with double 00 in it.

But I need to look into one of those safes with one hand in the dark operation for my Glock. I got to thinking, check out this brilliant plan. You get this safe bolted to the wall next to your bed. You put an "Invacare XPO2 Oxygen Concentrator" sticker on it with hoses running out of it and there you go, no one would ever think to tear it apart to find a gun. It would be bolted to the wall from the inside so even if the piece of crap wanted it he couldn't get it. But all the while you have your loaded Glock inside! Brilliant? I think so.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013, 10:52 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Holy cow! I didn't realize he came face to face with them! We're also prepared for intruders, if they got past our alarm system, and in the house. I'd never think of taking them out if they were outside, but once they're inside they're fair game. I'd have to assume they were armed if they were so bold as to enter when we were home!
Yes, the REALLY need to be permanently eliminated from society. The person who does this wonderful deed deserves a gift card for a nice dinner out with the family.

Brian
Old 08-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
we were the distant thunder you heard LOL,,

another storm today while I was finishing mowing,last 20 minutes in rain,very little lightning,

Great picture,John
a couple of last week photos ,I will open new rhread
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	969244_10151555388627499_1609059982_n pickens co.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	76647   Click image for larger version

Name:	988281_10151555402972499_1459702084_n pickens co.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	76648  
Old 08-14-2013, 10:55 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
a couple of last week photos ,I will open new rhread
HOLY CRAP!

Brian
Old 08-14-2013, 08:39 PM

Last journal entry: Long time no journal entry, pulled hood tonight.
Last photo:

Rebuilt the wheel cylinder for the driver's side front drum on my caddy. Also put the welding tips I got off ebay in my welding cart. A co worker gave me a muffin or cupcake pan that I put in a toolbox tray that I am still working on how to attach to the cart. Got a few cool ideas, but may do some hacking and welding on the tray to make the stuff fit good. Also trying to figure out where I am going to put the nozzle gel.

Saturday I organized my garage and found the wheel cylinder kit, had already bought a replacement. So today I took the new kit back to Oreilly's. But I do have better access to the front of the caddy. And got some of the crap out of the floor.

What I need to do is put some work in on my welding/work bench. And clear off a work bench towards the back of the garage so I have more work surface. In that organization I hope to find a better spot for my air compressor.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:48 PM

Last photo:

Cleaning up is always difficult unless you have somewhere to put the crap.....then that gets full and you have to start tossing stuff out. It's best to toss it out before you store it any longer. I should practice what I preach.

Brian
Old 08-14-2013, 11:17 PM

Last journal entry: Long time no journal entry, pulled hood tonight.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Cleaning up is always difficult unless you have somewhere to put the crap.....then that gets full and you have to start tossing stuff out. It's best to toss it out before you store it any longer. I should practice what I preach.

Brian
Well part of it is trying to move some old filing cabinet drawers that I have stacked up to a spot under my tables. That will clear some space. Still not sure about the compressor. And yeah you have to throw some trash away. Got rid of some packaging and misc junk just lying around my garage.

For a long time I couldn't really use the one table because of a leaking pipe.It has some empty totes on it that I can move or use for some storage elsewhere. Also might break down my on hold shop press project. That would clear up some space. Also need to work a little on the lighting. It would be really helpful if I could get the top for my welding table and move some of the misc work to the other table. But as nice as the organization is, I think I need to get those brakes done. My goal is to have it going at least down the driveway by October 3, which would have been my dad's birthday.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:10 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

so I blocked on the nissan 10 hour quarter and now it's probably gonna take 10 hours-lol. When you do body lines it's incredibly hard to tell what it's going to look like if there's a very slight imperfection. If it's big you'll feel it with your hand, and cmon, if you know how to do the work guide coat doesn't really tell you much. It didn't tell me about the imperfection, which was the body line didn't match. It was close, but didn't match. So what you do is you tell the painter to pig prime it, you block on it, and then you throw some grease and wax remover on it while sighting down the sides. I spent 3 hours just trying to "save" it with 320 then busted out the 120 and threw in the towel and added a skim coat on the area. Can't win them all and I'm not superman. I'm just glad to say that when it's said and done the repair will undetectable and for dents like that it's pretty common to see them primed twice and/or brought back to the body tech to do the blocking. So I can't wait to see that painted.

Then it was The GTO Judge. Just doing the mud stage and some window channel patches and brought out the shrinker(finally!).
Old 08-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Cab Removal

I had borrowed an engine picker so I could pull the engine out and take it to the machine shop.

When my buddy dropped it off, we discussed the firewall and floorboard issues ... and he remarked that both issues might be solved by lowering the engine and trans mounts.

Now that the cab is off, I think he's completely right!
It's amazing what having a fresh perspective can accomplish.
(This is all duplicated in my project journal as well)

Old 08-15-2013, 12:04 PM

Last photo:

That is some damn creative use of that cherry picker!

Brian
Old 08-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
That is some damn creative use of that cherry picker!

Brian
Neccesity being the mother of invention.

I've had to do a lot of work on this project completely "solo", including dragging the cab and frame in and out of the old repair shop for sandblasting.

A ''Blue Giant" (hand propelled fork lift) and that wheeled freight cart that you see positioned under the cab were real life (and back)-savers.

Last edited by 66GMC; 08-15-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:14 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Finally made some progress on overheating with the Falcon's BBC power! I had the new shroud on last night, and it ran even hotter! Seems the close shroud blocked air at cruise speed, and couldn't run it. Had to actually pull it off and remount the fan while out at the car show last night, just to get home.
Today I pulled my auxiliary radiators from in front of the main radiator, and layed them down horizontally underneath. Built new mounts, and refilled the system. When I got done, it took nearly a full gallon more fluid to fill the system, with the same length hoses. I think the auxiliary radiators had air trapped in them, and when I laid them down they finally filled.
Drove it around today, and it stayed between 180-190, and only got warmer when I got stuck in a traffic jam. Soon as it got moving, the temp dropped down again! I'll be hitting a couple cruises this weekend, and the drags next weekend if it keeps running like it is today!
Old 08-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,532 Times in 1,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Finally made some progress on overheating with the Falcon's BBC power! I had the new shroud on last night, and it ran even hotter! Seems the close shroud blocked air at cruise speed, and couldn't run it. Had to actually pull it off and remount the fan while out at the car show last night, just to get home.
Today I pulled my auxiliary radiators from in front of the main radiator, and layed them down horizontally underneath. Built new mounts, and refilled the system. When I got done, it took nearly a full gallon more fluid to fill the system, with the same length hoses. I think the auxiliary radiators had air trapped in them, and when I laid them down they finally filled.
Drove it around today, and it stayed between 180-190, and only got warmer when I got stuck in a traffic jam. Soon as it got moving, the temp dropped down again! I'll be hitting a couple cruises this weekend, and the drags next weekend if it keeps running like it is today!
That's a biggie. Comgratulations.

John
Old 08-15-2013, 11:12 PM

Last photo:

I got out there tonight and got some of the structure of the top welded up and finished off nice. I also got the hoses for my jewelers torch and got it all back together. I promised one of my co-workers that I wouldn't MIG the top skin so I had to get that jewelers torch up and running.

Something I learned tonight, these flapper discs are THE BOMB!

HOLY CRAP does this thing cut welds nice. Super flat, metal finishing kinda stuff and I used it quite a bit and it doesn't even looked like it's touched, it is still cutting like it did on the first weld. I am SERIOUSLY impressed with these discs.

Brian
Old 08-15-2013, 11:29 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

try the norton blaze flap disks if you get a chance. They make really good 3" rolocs too. They are bright orange.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« Trivia thread | - »