The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 326 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2013, 11:46 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

got a whole lot done this week on The GTO. We haven't gotten a car from next door since the 55 so maybe this is my cue to leave for greener pastures. Maybe back to production or doing my own thing. I dunno. I will sleep on it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 08:07 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,222 Times in 1,077 Posts
What do you mean "We haven't gotten a car from next door since the 55" that shop that was giving you guys body work isn't any more?

Brian
Old 08-17-2013, 09:09 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

I'm not sure. The old painter got booted and maybe the work with it. They won't tell me if so cause that's kind of where I get my kick so to speak. Then again, there's been talk of getting Demarcus Cousins' car. They have it next door and I'm hoping we get it. I'll have my pen ready for his autograph if so. I'm trying to figure out what's going on cause that's a major draw to be here. I hope not cause the work got better once we had a painter open to put more primer on the cars. Blocking the old painter's primer was like cross training in The AZ desert.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,439 Times in 1,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Do you think it is vapor locking after getting hot or starving for fuel to keep it from starting

I boughta electric boost pump from car quest Tuesday it only runs 2.5 to 4 psi so I can run it in line with my stock pump

,i am also running a return line with a 4 psi regulator in the return line to keep the pressure at 4 psiif it tries to go above that anount the regulator will open to keep from over feuling the carbs since the holleys will unseat the needle off the seat if above that,

don't remember which carb you have I think wcfb carter ,as I renember they had well plugs under the bottom like a Qjet that would leak the fuel into the intake after turning off engine hot ,somestimes flooding the engine or leaking the fuel out the bowl would have to turn the engine long enough to fill bowl before it would start,

Just a thought,,might not have any to do with your problem,,
It appears to be flooding hot. It is a WCFB and I suspect it is boiling when you shut the engine off. There is fuel stain around the vent holes on the top of the carb but the engine is not loading up. I suspect the floats may be just a little high and this new gas is boiling on this aluminum intake.

I have been wanting to plug the heat risers anyway.

John.

The show today was small but good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	76734  
Old 08-17-2013, 06:15 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Went to an annual church show today. It's always a great one, and I don't know how the church makes a dime considering what they give. We paid $15, but got a free T shirt, lunch, drinks, and ice cream. Plus a raffle ticket for a chance to win prizes. I won a $25 gift certificate to a fancy restaurant the wife and I have thought about trying. We've avoided it because the meals are spendy, and the $25 might not cover one person. But now we'll give it a try and see what all the talk is about! It's also a nice drive up into the hills to Stone Cliff, so great for an afternoon ride in the hotrods too!
Old 08-18-2013, 09:38 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

yesterday I played basketball and afterwards went to an awesome lagoon type area on the American river near Old Folsom. Surrounded by beautiful rocks/scenery and hot weather. The baby loved it. Then I edited some basketball and car footage.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:09 PM

Last journal entry: bump stops
Last photo:

car show

had a great day saturday at the 41st annual Downeast street rod car show, about 350 cars. beautiful day here in maine. put in some new ngk iridium plugs that should be hotter than the AC delco rapidfire #7's. car ran pretty good there and back. About 3 hours of driving. today back to replacing the old clapboards on my house with new ones. tiring of painting and peeling clapboards every couple of years.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:35 PM

Last photo:

Spent all spare time last week at "Back to the bricks" and saturday at Woodward cruise.

Today I got to the toy shop about noon. Decided to bend up some roll bar tubing. The main hoop is from Summit clearance, but the support tubes have to be bent. The Lark has a Coke bottle type frame so the supports have to be bent inward around the front of the seats. To fasten directly to the frame.

Mild steel 1/8" wall tubing. Just tack welded for now. Will finish weld after the body is on.. 8 point right now. Probably add some more bar support later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stude cage.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	76777   Click image for larger version

Name:	stude cage3.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	76778  
Old 08-18-2013, 07:13 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Still working on the '38, getting it ready for South Dakota this week. Forecast is for upper 80's to 90's. I decided to finish hooking up the A/C. I bought a hose crimper from NAPA and was doing OK until it came time to tighten the #10 nuts at the bulkhead under the dash. The nuts are 1 1/16th !!! My wrench is over a foot long and doesn't come close to fitting under there. I looked for a crowsfoot but couldn't find one in stock local so I made one. Cut it out of 1/4" AR 400 with the plasma.

This is were it needed to go...

All done and ready for charging.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Love the wrench TMP

This afternoon I made up the driver's side inner rocker box.

John

Old 08-18-2013, 07:45 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Just spent the day at the local cruise. Nice little cruise, in a small community. Best part was the shops to look at, and the old time music provided by a couple young twin girls who sang the oldies very well indeed! We had fun, and ran into a fella I'd spoken to a month ago at the Wed. night cruise/drags at Beaches. He told me about his dream to build a Falcon gasser, also with Chevy power like mine. Well today he showed me pictures of his '62 Falcon he found last week, and it was great to see his excitement as he explained plans for the build!
Probably one of my most enjoyable experiences is visiting with people who are excited about the hobby we have, and as excited about building their dream, as I am!
Old 08-18-2013, 07:49 PM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:

Yesterday I reinstalled the 3 wheel cylinders I rebuilt so far. I haven't pulled one, the passenger rear one, yet. Went pretty smooth. Have to finish the driver's side rear shoes install then move onto the passenger side. Maybe wednesday I will work on the driver's side. I also did a little reworking of my welding cart. Have it set up sort of like I want. Will need to get some hardware and finish it up maybe next month.

Friday I got my 5 dollar leaf blower working. Got it at an auction around the end of the year for 5 bucks and I think I got my money's worth cleaning off the driveway after mowing. Just hadn't needed to mess with it till now. Looks real dirty on the outside, but both the plug and the carb looked pretty clean. Wish my weedeater started that easy.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:19 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Love the wrench TMP
You're my inspiration, John. That box under the dash that the air control is mounted in was a flat sheet a few days back too. I figured if John can make this stuff, I may as well try too...
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
John long (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
You're my inspiration, John. That box under the dash that the air control is mounted in was a flat sheet a few days back too. I figured if John can make this stuff, I may as well try too...
I love my 419 dollar plasma cutter. It is right up there with sliced bread and secks. Well, you get the idea.

John
Old 08-18-2013, 08:30 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
Spent all spare time last week at "Back to the bricks" and saturday at Woodward cruise.

Today I got to the toy shop about noon. Decided to bend up some roll bar tubing. The main hoop is from Summit clearance, but the support tubes have to be bent. The Lark has a Coke bottle type frame so the supports have to be bent inward around the front of the seats. To fasten directly to the frame.

Mild steel 1/8" wall tubing. Just tack welded for now. Will finish weld after the body is on.. 8 point right now. Probably add some more bar support later.

Great job Bob ,I will try to build a cage in my next truck ,noticed I said try. cant in this one as the truck I am working on now has already painted inside

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.