The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 333 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2013, 09:16 PM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Did some minor cleaning and organizing in the garage. Got one more usable work bench now. Really now both are more usable. Also sprayed exhaust nuts again with PB blaster.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 10:43 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

tore down a couple total losses. Those are fun when you know they're getting totaled cause I always like to keep the bolts and clips. Almost done with the Endura bumper and the painter kicked back a dent I fixed cause of sand scratches. I find that funny cause I'm the only guy that uses guidecoat and finishes with 180 in the shop so it's suspect, but that's cool, I'll have a fun time pointing out all his crappy buffing and sanding butt holes into every dirt nib. Must suck that the body guy buffs better than the painter. The audacity of the laziest worker in the shop that's texting 70% of the time to kick work back that didn't even have any deep sand scratches, not to mention I'm the hardest worker in the shop. The nerves of some people.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentpoet View Post
Did some minor cleaning and organizing in the garage. Got one more usable work bench now. Really now both are more usable. Also sprayed exhaust nuts again with PB blaster.

I need to take about a week organize and clean my home shop and repaint floor a spilled quart of brake fluid really messes up a painted floor.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:10 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post

Tonight I put my birthday present together. I wanted this so I could store my plasma cutter and MIG together and move them around together easily. I just love birthdays.

John
[/IMG]
Happy belated birthday John! If I want tools or car stuff for my birthday, I have to buy them myself!

I had to tear into the Falcon's 454 today. Seems I either took it a little too high rpm, or a couple lifters just let go. I had took compression readings this morning, and had two very low cylinders. When I pulled the valve covers I found a bent pushrod, and two lifters that had come apart.
Pulled the intake, and I was able to drop the pushrod down into the valley and out. Went to the local Autozone, as they surprisingly carry Melling lifters and pushrods, and bought replacements. As with any AZ trip, I had issues. I had the numbers for parts I needed and the kid at the counter brings out a 4 pack box of lifters, and a 4 pack box of intake pushrods. I told him I only needed 1 pushrod, and 2 lifters, but he tells me they only sell them in sets of 4. The price that came up was $2.50 for the pushrods, and $3.50 for lifters. I tried to tell him that sounded more like the individual price, but he wasn't giving in, so I gave him the $6 and got 4 pushrods and 4 lifters.
Got everything together, but I'll let the RTV on the intake end seal set up, and then do another cam break in to seat the two new lifters.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,363 Times in 1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Happy belated birthday John! If I want tools or car stuff for my birthday, I have to buy them myself!

I had to tear into the Falcon's 454 today. Seems I either took it a little too high rpm, or a couple lifters just let go. I had took compression readings this morning, and had two very low cylinders. When I pulled the valve covers I found a bent pushrod, and two lifters that had come apart.
Pulled the intake, and I was able to drop the pushrod down into the valley and out. Went to the local Autozone, as they surprisingly carry Melling lifters and pushrods, and bought replacements. As with any AZ trip, I had issues. I had the numbers for parts I needed and the kid at the counter brings out a 4 pack box of lifters, and a 4 pack box of intake pushrods. I told him I only needed 1 pushrod, and 2 lifters, but he tells me they only sell them in sets of 4. The price that came up was $2.50 for the pushrods, and $3.50 for lifters. I tried to tell him that sounded more like the individual price, but he wasn't giving in, so I gave him the $6 and got 4 pushrods and 4 lifters.
Got everything together, but I'll let the RTV on the intake end seal set up, and then do another cam break in to seat the two new lifters.
Good luck. My fingers are crossed.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:59 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Tonight I put my birthday present together. I wanted this so I could store my plasma cutter and MIG together and move them around together easily. I just love birthdays.

John

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!!!!

Don't you love getting younger ???
After 65, I'm going to start counting down, so you can too....

Nice cart, is it from Eastwood ?? I've been wanting one just like that from there for a while too but can't give up my home modified cart just yet. Maybe when I get a TIG...
Old 08-29-2013, 07:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

Yup, some big blocks don't like being over revved. I had a 396 like that years ago. Gotta love the inexperienced counter help. 6 bucks for all that is too hard to pass up. I hear ya on letting the rtv set up good. I helped a neighbor install a rebuilt Ford 9" diff in my shop today and he will come back tomorrow to fill it. I like letting the sealer dry overnight to avoid chemical contamination while it's wet.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!!!!

Don't you love getting younger ???
After 65, I'm going to start counting down, so you can too....

Nice cart, is it from Eastwood ?? I've been wanting one just like that from there for a while too but can't give up my home modified cart just yet. Maybe when I get a TIG...
The bad news is after 65 it becomes harder to count backwards.

The cart is from Amazon. It may be just like Eastwood's or HF, I don't know. My credit card is on file with Amazon and it was eligible for free shipping so I went that way. For 52 dollars it does what I need.

John

Old 08-29-2013, 07:13 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:

Cam you run stock lengyh and diameter pushrods with your Pro Comp aluminum heads.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
My credit card is on file with Amazon and it was eligible for free shipping so I went that way. For 52 dollars it does what I need.

John
That's great....send me your password and I'll get one too....
Old 08-29-2013, 08:40 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
That's great....send me your password and I'll get one too....
I think you used the wrong emoticon.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Cam you run stock lengyh and diameter pushrods with your Pro Comp aluminum heads.
NO. Aftermarkt heads use a different valve angle and longer valves, each setup is different.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
NO. Aftermarkt heads use a different valve angle and longer valves, each setup is different.

That is why I ask Vall about his when he said he went to auto zone I am guessing they are stock length ,possibly could be why he had the problem; my BBC has Brodix custom built with raised runners 320cc 113 & angle cut deck.030 and intake flange .048 I used a pushrod checker ,I had to have .250 longer intake and .125 longer exaust also my ARP studs for the head had to be .250 longer with reduced size 12 point nuts and hardened washers.

Last edited by 496CHEVY3100; 08-29-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:49 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

so today I got a Kia Sportage I was putting together and when we hire painters I always say to reserve opinions on how they buff til they get a black car, and this car was black. Just yesterday, this painter kicked back a dent of mine(no big deal) but the thing was, he kicked it back for scratches and it was guidecoated with 180, and from a couple things I saw him do, it angered me cause I know if I was trying to pass those things along I would keep my mouth shut. So back to The Kia, it had swirls all over it and edges weren't buffed and looking dull. To keep relationships cool I've gotten past trying to be the hero cause it's not my job, it's the manager's job, but today I had a reason to go tell the boss. So I go in there and the old man is in there and when I tell the manager it needs more buffing the old man goes, "big surprise, he's gonna have to put down his cell phone to fix that", so that kind of made my day. It's always better when the things you see are things that other people see too, so that was cool.

Anyhow, put the Sportage together and the thing was a pain to take off that tail light, believe it or not. First I took out the screws, then had to pop off a clip right at the edge under the lens that goes outwards(they put it there in hopes you break the light cause the lens is weak at the point) Once that's off you have to pull it back cause it pops into a plastic retainer and the taillight has a metal stud and ball that holds it in(x2). Lots of taillights have these from Prius'(easy ones) to Infinitis to Altima's(harder ones), etc-etc. So I try to pry it out with a clip tool carefully under the lens...no dice. Then I tried the duct tape trick by taping a handle to the lens and covering it entirely with duct tape...the duct tape was too weak. So we found some good duct tape and I tried it and STILL couldn't release the lights so I waited for the manager to get back so we could both pull on it. When he got there I told him about it while fixing a ding and he just walked back there and popped it off. I felt like a wimp. That was a hassle for sure.

Anyhow, got the GTO Judge endura bumper done. This is tedious work. I didn't want to bother the princess by asking him to epoxy it so I just sanded out as many cracks as I could and used plastic repair on mostly the whole thing, then topcoated the repair material with poly flex, making sure it didn't touch the endura bumper at all, and in one area it did so I had to sand it back and instantly I noticed how it feathered like crap. So tomorrow I'm going to have to re-tap the bracket holes that bolt to the sides of the bumper cause I can't find bolts that fit and throw in some bolts that taper so it will be easier to screw them in from the fenders. I'm considering not even shaving anything down on the Endura to show these guys a lesson cause at this point I've been just raising the bottom fender to where I think it will be once it's bolted in. It's pretty close as is. Pretty easy to line up. Just put in the brackets and you can take the bolts on/off up top to play with it and do your fixes and then realign it. I actually had to move the lip over where it lines up with the edge of the fender, shim it UP, and ad plastic repair to the edge so it's closer to the fender. Looks pretty solid. I will also lay a bead of structural adhesive on the back under the lip cause when you tighten it down to the fender it wants to bunch up. When I kick it to paint I'll ask that it be epoxied and cross linked to a 2k, both with flex of course. Seems like the next one will be even better. The next time I will shave down a spreader to match some of those crazy shapes so spreading will be easy and a couple other things. I used a short block for this cause being straight wasn't the battle here, trying to a good repair with the time given is what I tried to achieve.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:56 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
The bad news is after 65 it becomes harder to count backwards.

The cart is from Amazon. It may be just like Eastwood's or HF, I don't know. My credit card is on file with Amazon and it was eligible for free shipping so I went that way. For 52 dollars it does what I need.

John

It's exactly like the HF one I have. Gotta love Amazon. Anytime I'm on the market for something I always check them first. Their prices and free shipping are wonderful.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.