The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 34 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 10:47 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

upstairs bathroom - new fan, light fixture, and some painting I hate working on my house
more tomorrow - new switches and outlets etc.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 08:45 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Yesterday before I took off to Sacramento (over two hours away) for my oldest sons 30th birthday party I got out to the garage for a little bit and started the prep work on the instrument cluster and dash center chrome for paint. They go silver and black so it's a little time to get them all painted but I should be able to do that today.

Brian
Old 02-26-2012, 12:06 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy
No build work today.

Just got back from Cobo Hall. I will start a thread with pics when I can get them out of my buddies camera. Hopefully I got some pics of the next Riddler car.

It was a really great show with a lots of awesome rods.
Are you referring to the Cobo Hall in Detroit ?
Old 02-26-2012, 01:08 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
Are you referring to the Cobo Hall in Detroit ?
That's the one.

Long drive but well worth the trip.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:02 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Took my son and two of my grandkids for a ride in the deuce this morning. Won't see them for a while as they're in AZ and we're moving to Texas. Figured it was a good time to start getting my grandson interested in hot rods.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"It's better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than it is to go into a corner fast and come out dead." - Sterling Moss
Old 02-26-2012, 07:58 PM

Last journal entry: Finally some floor!
Last photo:

Well, been trying to keep at the project, but I've had that "getting old" thing in the way this past week. Too much time on my feet and then pulled something in the back. But you can't let a weekend go by now can ya!
Ordered some fittings, etc at the speed shop, and picked up some steel lines for the tranny on Sat. Bent some of the bends for the tranny to get the lines past the engine, but will finish to the cooler after I pull the engine (again). Made the framework base for the gas tank and tacked it in. Made an access panel for getting to the fuel filter and fittings as I'm putting a larger bung in the bottom of the fuel cell (anticipating the demands of a blown big block eventually). The access panel between the frame rails behind the rear end will allow me to put a tank shut off, filter, and the electric pump directly under the tank. I had been worried about where to mount all of these things along the frame headed toward the front. Not a lot of room between these frame rails. Hopefully finish up the fuel and the brake lines along the frame rails this week so that I can button up the floor soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1651.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	63408   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1655.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	63409   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1653.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	63410   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1656.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	63411   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1657.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	63412  

Old 02-26-2012, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

Looking good!

I painted some of the instrument panel, mounted some of the convertible latch stuff on the windshield frame (that was a friggin pain!) and made the bracket fo the battery tray that I have been putting off. I have been putting it off hoping that I would find the original. But I just couldn't wait anymore, I wanted to get that part done so I went ahead and fabbed up a bracket. And of course now, you know, you know that I will find that original one in the next few days.

Oh yeah, and I boxed up a Rambler hood that I sold on eBay. Check this out, I am shipping this hood back to within about fifty miles of where the car was made 52 years ago in Wisconsin!

Brian
Old 02-27-2012, 06:03 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Nothing got done this weekend...... Excuse: High winds friday knocked over a power pole and not only killed the power to the shop,a transformer went through the roof....They still using PCB's in the transformer oil?? its all over the floor, they threw some absorbing towels down and acted like it was nothing..my instructions were to wait a while then pick them up and throw them in the trash.. ..I remember something about PCB's being highly toxic from when I lived in NY,the Hudson river was full of it...
Old 02-27-2012, 07:16 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Nothing got done this weekend...... Excuse: High winds friday knocked over a power pole and not only killed the power to the shop,a transformer went through the roof....They still using PCB's in the transformer oil?? its all over the floor, they threw some absorbing towels down and acted like it was nothing..my instructions were to wait a while then pick them up and throw them in the trash.. ..I remember something about PCB's being highly toxic from when I lived in NY,the Hudson river was full of it...
wow
Old 02-27-2012, 07:47 AM

Last photo:

HOLY CRAP, so you want us to believe this was a good enough reason not to have that car in paint by now? SLACKER!

Brian
Old 02-27-2012, 08:19 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
.... And the next time you venture back, wander over to Hudson Falls and see what a mess the EPA has caused - and for once, it was GW Bush's fault(Christy Todd Whitman, his EPA sect'y) .

As far as PCBs and cancer danger - it has not been proven that any human has contracted cancer from that nasty stuff. It IS a dermatological nightmare though. I worked briefly with the GE chemist/manager that was in charge of doing the river research - and his contention was to never dredge the Hudson River as it would create a much bigger problem. He was right as that pollution has drifted 40 miles further South since the dredging started.

So the power company - they are only working to the established requirements that require a panic mode when cleaning a PCB mess
Old 02-27-2012, 08:26 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
I remember talking to the electricians who worked for me at the mine, and they told me that the transformers now are filled with peanut oil. Can't speak for your transformer, but I would hanlde those absorbents with rubber gloves, if it was me.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:57 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

They stopped using PCB's in transformers back in the 70's. Many were still out there in existence from before that period, but our local power company went through their whole grid in the 90's and drained and refilled all transformers, or changed out small transformers. Not sure about your area, but as mentioned a pair of rubber gloves and a garbage bag will take care of it. Just wash your hands when done.
I handled a lot of leaky transformers during my career as an electrician before we had any knowledge of, or concern abbout PCB's. I wouldn't intentionally handle them or the oil, but short contact and good hand washing will eliminate any potential hazzard. If you're really worried tell them to come back and wash your floor and pick up their own towells.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:22 PM
elkyholic

Last journal entry: Center Link Installed
Last photo:

Since the wind knocked it down it is an act of God, therefore responsibility for clean up is yours. If the power company does anything it is only to recover their transformer and secure the power.

Assuming you have insurance for your shop, they should process your claim for the roof repair and the clean up of the oil spill (you should be able to get it professionally cleaned, after all oil on your floor is a fall hazard and the insurance company could be liable).

If you don't have insurance, same as above except it is on your dime.

Good luck.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:21 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

A week ago the power co stopped by and told us they needed to change the pole and transformers because it failed some kind of inspection.
believe it or not ,sunday I went to the shop and started hand sanding, straightening out a hood,made a pot of coffee went to get some coffee about 20 min later and NO COFFEE funny how used we are to all the little things electricity gives us besides lights...

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.