The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 345 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well, I got an education on early Chevy locks today.

As I have mentioned, I have been picking up a few items on CraigsList lately and thought it might be good to get an ignition switch with a key. It might be good but not economical. They are going for 65-75 bucks. I then had a eurica moment and decided to have a key made for mine. After surfing the Chevy Talk forum I read the key code is stamped on the rod that runs from the lockset to the latch on the door lock. It only took me an hour to get the rusty retainer loose and the lock out of the door and handle.

You guessed it........no numbers.

Next step pull the trunk lock. BINGO. As you see,in the pictures the key code is on it. The local lock smith says 20 bucks to make a key and I suspect that all the locks on the car are origional and the key will fit them. Will know in a couple of days.

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 08:01 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Is there only one key for all the locks ?? When did GM go to 2 keys ?

Might want to take that pic down with the number on it. Someone else could have a key made and "borrow" that fine ride when it's done...
Old 09-17-2013, 08:03 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Is there only one key for all the locks ?? When did GM go to 2 keys ?

Might want to take that pic down with the number on it. Someone else could have a key made and "borrow" that fine ride when it's done...
From what I have read GM used one key for all locks through something like 1964. I was surprised too.

John
Old 09-17-2013, 11:09 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

worked on the first Elios prototype car ever built. It's slated to be released in 2014 with 84 mpg....ok, now the fun stuff... This thing had Honda Civic door handles and the mechanic stated that it was a GM steering column and GEO Prism 3 liter motor. Also didn't have real glass. It was plexiglass I think. No gas cap and apparently the new standard soon for most automobiles, or so I hear.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:28 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
From what I have read GM used one key for all locks through something like 1964. I was surprised too.

John
I was trying to remember when GM went to separate keys also. I know my '67 Chevelle had two keys, but can't remember if all the Tri 5 Chevys I owned so many years ago did.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

I could be wrong ,,and probably am ,but I think ny 55 Chevy Belair had 2 keys but it had a locking glove box, 1 key fit doors amd ignition the other fit glove box don't remember which fit the trunck lock on the Belair ,and I have had several 210 & 150 without locking box which had only 1 key.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	81906   Click image for larger version

Name:	thCA2LUFO2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	81914  
Old 09-18-2013, 12:03 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
I could be wrong ,,and probably am ,but I think ny 55 Chevy Belair had 2 keys but it had a locking glove box, 1 key fit doors amd ignition the other fit glove box don't remember which fit the trunck lock on the Belair ,and I have had several 210 & 150 without locking box which had only 1 key.
The trunk and glove box were the same key.

BB
Old 09-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Below is a quote from The Locksmith Ledger. This seems to be the common consensus from what my research has uncovered. I took my door and trunk locks to the locksmith today so I should know for sure tomorrow or the next day.

"Ignition and door locks were generally keyed alike. Trunk locks and glove box locks were keyed alike but used a separate key code. Chrysler was the exception. A third key was used for locking Chrysler glove box locks which had a wafer lock with a 1098X keyway. Another exception was GM Chevrolet and Buick models in the 1950s. These two models used a key system with all locks keyed alike."

Be sure and read the last sentence carefully.

John
Old 09-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

I bought a 96 Silverado 3500 1ton dually today which has a 5.7 with a 5 speed trans ,it has just had the heads replaced with 2 new heads and cam but wiring and hoses not connected , he lost lease on building had to move it I MUST pick it up tomprrow ,does any one know if this has a roller cam engine ,if not I am going to use the engine I have one the stand and do some thing el;se with this one,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00303_3Y4ltZRgvcg_600x450.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	81946  
Old 09-18-2013, 08:12 PM

Last photo:

Pretty sure all 350's were roller cam after about '88.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

I new most af the cars were ,I did not now about the trucks, Thanks

I guess I will just finish hooking up and finish wiring
Old 09-18-2013, 09:20 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

putting together the Trans Am and The Elios car company was at the Folsom Mall today and gave our shop a shout out on the radio. I'm gonna see if the boss can get a copy of that segment to put on his site. They paid us to fix one fender bracket but we fixed both and stopped one side from rubbing and they appreciated our efforts. Pretty cool team work.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
The trunk and glove box were the same key.

BB
My locksmith called today and said he had done my keys but he was not in the shop so I couldn't pick them up. He did say the trunk and door were keyed alike. I am really anxious to get the keys and see if they also fit the ignition switch.....Maybe tomorrow.

I also tried to buy the instrument bezel on Ebay that is the mate to my speaker grill and glove box door but when it hit 79.00 dollars I quit. I boxed my spare one up and the chrome end cap from the rh dash and sent them to the chrome plater today. I have no idea what to expect. It has been years since I had anything plated. I am afraid I am in for a shock. we'll see.

Have I reminded you guys how great it was to wake up today?

John

Oh yea. Check out the phone number on this sticker on a door I bought yesterday.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

I dug my 1969 GMC 4X4 out of storage last weekend and I've been cleaning it up to sell. Hate to see it go but I've got too many projects...gee, where have I heard that before ?? I need the space in my building and the funds to work on other cars. I've had this for 11 years.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
My locksmith called today and said he had done my keys but he was not in the shop so I couldn't pick them up. He did say the trunk and door were keyed alike. I am really anxious to get the keys and see if they also fit the ignition switch.....Maybe tomorrow.

I also tried to buy the instrument bezel on Ebay that is the mate to my speaker grill and glove box door but when it hit 79.00 dollars I quit. I boxed my spare one up and the chrome end cap from the rh dash and sent them to the chrome plater today. I have no idea what to expect. It has been years since I had anything plated. I am afraid I am in for a shock. we'll see.

Have I reminded you guys how great it was to wake up today?

John

Oh yea. Check out the phone number on this sticker on a door I bought yesterday.

Is that sticker from Greenville BC? Greenville is a very small Nisga'a Indian community in Northwest BC, and in those days it would have been virtually unreachable by road.

Of course you know that the CR in the phone number would now be shown as 27. Area code would be 604 (then) - would be 250 now

Wonder if that Shell station place is still there?

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.