The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 347 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2013, 10:00 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
We slipped by with another dry day today, so I hit the local wrecking yard. Haven't had any luck getting my wipers going on my '63 Falcon, so after a Google search, I found that the newer Ford F150 and Bronco wiper motors from '73-'79 could be adapted to work with my Falcon. Found a '73 Ford F150, and pulled the wiper motor along with the switch as a unit.

Once I got home I pulled the old Falcon wiper motor and bracket, and found the two motors had different bolt patterns, but the Falcon bracket was drilled for both bolt patterns!! Pulled the motor and rubber insulators off, and relocated them to the correct holes. Then swapped the arm off my old motor and after turning it 180 degrees, I bolted it to the Falcon bracket. I had to add a ground strap from motor to the bracket, as there wasn't one on my Falcon's bracket.

Then I bolted it in place, and attached the wiper arm under the dash. I removed the outer wiper blades and arms so I could test it without them in place, as I figured the resting position might be off from before. They worked great, so I reinstalled the arms and I have working 2 speed wipers now for a $10 wrecking yard motor!
Not sure I'll do much driving in the wet weather, but hate getting caught out, and not having wipers.
I just love when something works out like that. Good for you !

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 10:13 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
We slipped by with another dry day today, so I hit the local wrecking yard. Haven't had any luck getting my wipers going on my '63 Falcon, so after a Google search, I found that the newer Ford F150 and Bronco wiper motors from '73-'79 could be adapted to work with my Falcon. Found a '73 Ford F150, and pulled the wiper motor along with the switch as a unit.

Once I got home I pulled the old Falcon wiper motor and bracket, and found the two motors had different bolt patterns, but the Falcon bracket was drilled for both bolt patterns!! Pulled the motor and rubber insulators off, and relocated them to the correct holes. Then swapped the arm off my old motor and after turning it 180 degrees, I bolted it to the Falcon bracket. I had to add a ground strap from motor to the bracket, as there wasn't one on my Falcon's bracket.

Then I bolted it in place, and attached the wiper arm under the dash. I removed the outer wiper blades and arms so I could test it without them in place, as I figured the resting position might be off from before. They worked great, so I reinstalled the arms and I have working 2 speed wipers now for a $10 wrecking yard motor!
Not sure I'll do much driving in the wet weather, but hate getting caught out, and not having wipers.
Damn that's cool! And remember, Trico sells a "classic" wiper blade assy that looks exactly like the stainless steel one your Falcon had on it when new. I was blown away when I got a set for the Rambler and the guy at the parts store hands me a wiper that looked just like the original! Got them for the Gran Sport too, I had saved a set of NOS ones for it and tossed them in the garbage when I brought home the brand new soft rubber Trico Classics.

Brian
Old 09-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,337 Times in 1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Damn that's cool! And remember, Trico sells a "classic" wiper blade assy that looks exactly like the stainless steel one your Falcon had on it when new. I was blown away when I got a set for the Rambler and the guy at the parts store hands me a wiper that looked just like the original! Got them for the Gran Sport too, I had saved a set of NOS ones for it and tossed them in the garbage when I brought home the brand new soft rubber Trico Classics.

Brian
Wow, I had no idea the were available from Trico again. Thanks for the post and congrats on being back out in the garage.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (09-21-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 11:46 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:

Brian
Thanks Brian! I need to find some, as the Falcon has some crappy black metal/plastic affair that don't look right on the SS arms I have.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:59 AM

Last photo:

I believe this is the one.

TRICO® Classic™ 33-150 - Windshield Wiper Blade | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
1971BB427 (09-21-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 12:49 PM

Last photo:

Thanks a lot Brian! I'll run over and grab a pair!
Old 09-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Installing an Edelbrock RPM AirGap manifold.
Few more connections tomorrow, coolant and it´s ready to run.
Modified it to take a fan switch sensor and coolant temp sender.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

It had been years since I had disassembled a tilt wheel mechanism. So I read on the internet before I tore the steering column apart on our Jeep that you could only access two bolts when fixing a Jeep XJ tilt wheel. Here is proof that you can't believe everything you read on the interweb. I can get to all four.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Wore myself out today but did not accomplish all I expected. Had a couple of friends came by and drank a couple of beers with them. That is even better than working on cars. Had a good day.

I do have my 4th row body mounts almost ready to weld up.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:08 AM

Last photo:

Looking good guys! I got out there this morning and did a little welding. I haven't gas welded stuff like this in so long and was never really good at it anyway so I have been doing some studying, thank goodness a new guy came to work in the office who has done a lot of fab stuff and he has been such a great help tossing things off of him is one thing but holy crap the stuff he comes up with that I never knew, wow. Anyway I am welding this stuff and plannishing it it into shape with much more confidence, and it's coming out very good. This is all being done without any filler rod at all (other than the blow there here and there). Just a near perfect butt weld and wham, it's done, wild the stuff I am learning from this guy! After little work welding this up it's just about flat for a skim coat of filler. But I will work it a little more with practice and get it even better.

I got so I could do stuff like this with the MIG but it leaves such a hard weld there is no working the metal like gas welding, getting it even closer that I thought I could pull off, very cool indeed.

We then took off with the family for a half hour drive to a very nice area in the bay area, Los Gatos. We are talking Ferraris and Lamborghinis parked in the shopping center parking lots kinda place. After checking out the Lotus' we had a wonderful lunch and headed off for Santa Cruz for a little bowling and walking on the beach. It was a GOOD day!

Nick got his first chance to sit in one of these cars today and it was a great time. Met up with a club in the area and what a bunch of great guys they were! We talked and talked, learned a LOT about these cars and got to sit in one and make vrrrrm vrrrrm sounds, it was very cool. Nick is jazzed.

Brian

Old 09-22-2013, 08:10 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Filled her up with coolant, turned the ignition key and it ran like it was never apart......
I had to readjust the distributor just a little, then I added a couple more degrees of advance....for fun.

Then I got back into the car.....horror......it´s pegging 250ºF.

I drained the top of the rad, removed the thermostat and checked it, all okay.
Back together add coolant.
Still at 250ºF.
So I took out the new temp sender and replaced it with the original,
top up with coolant again.
This time it pegged at 180ºF like it should.
I realise now the sender I fished out of the toolbox is a Stewart Warner,
my guages are AutoMeter.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Looking good guys! I got out there this morning and did a little welding. I haven't gas welded stuff like this in so long and was never really good at it anyway so I have been doing some studying, thank goodness a new guy came to work in the office who has done a lot of fab stuff and he has been such a great help tossing things off of him is one thing but holy crap the stuff he comes up with that I never knew, wow. Anyway I am welding this stuff and plannishing it it into shape with much more confidence, and it's coming out very good. This is all being done without any filler rod at all (other than the blow there here and there). Just a near perfect butt weld and wham, it's done, wild the stuff I am learning from this guy! After little work welding this up it's just about flat for a skim coat of filler. But I will work it a little more with practice and get it even better.

I got so I could do stuff like this with the MIG but it leaves such a hard weld there is no working the metal like gas welding, getting it even closer that I thought I could pull off, very cool indeed.

We then took off with the family for a half hour drive to a very nice area in the bay area, Los Gatos. We are talking Ferraris and Lamborghinis parked in the shopping center parking lots kinda place. After checking out the Lotus' we had a wonderful lunch and headed off for Santa Cruz for a little bowling and walking on the beach. It was a GOOD day!

Nick got his first chance to sit in one of these cars today and it was a great time. Met up with a club in the area and what a bunch of great guys they were! We talked and talked, learned a LOT about these cars and got to sit in one and make vrrrrm vrrrrm sounds, it was very cool. Nick is jazzed.

Brian
Very good Brian. I wonder if your Jeweler's torch is so small that it akes too long to heat the metal. This could cause the HEA (heat effected area) to be larger because it takes longer to bring the metal up to fusing temparature. That would give the heat more time to travel. I am just thinking out loud but have to wonder.

I have a video tape made by an English gentleman who builds a model A front fender with an English wheel. He makes it in 7 pieces and welds it together with gas and no filler rod. He is a true artist with a torch. You would think that these guys that make the rest of us look so amaturish would be using a pencil flame if it was the way to go. I don't have the answer but do wonder.

John
Old 09-22-2013, 08:24 AM

Last photo:

Last day of dry weather yesterday, so I took the Falcon for a short cruise, and stopped at O'Reilly's for a pair of Trico Classic wiper blades. Of course they didn't have them in stock in a 15" blade, so have to go back today and get them. Probably just put them in the trunk for the winter, and not let them dry out from sitting for the winter months.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:41 AM

Last photo:

Here's a link to a couple videos that Steve of Steve's Pro Shop posted over on Gasser Hotrods forum to show some fusion welding with gas:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=y...e_gdata_player

Old 09-22-2013, 09:08 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Very good Brian. I wonder if your Jeweler's torch is so small that it akes too long to heat the metal. This could cause the HEA (heat effected area) to be larger because it takes longer to bring the metal up to fusing temparature. That would give the heat more time to travel. I am just thinking out loud but have to wonder.

I have a video tape made by an English gentleman who builds a model A front fender with an English wheel. He makes it in 7 pieces and welds it together with gas and no filler rod. He is a true artist with a torch. You would think that these guys that make the rest of us look so amaturish would be using a pencil flame if it was the way to go. I don't have the answer but do wonder.

John
I thought the same thing when I saw the initial pics, John. The HEA is much larger than a mig and is prone to warpage. I don't have the answer either but I would use the mig and reduce the heated area. I don't have the patience to turn welding into an art on my cars...

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.