The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 357 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013, 02:04 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Brian,
You are about to end up in the same boat as my best friend. He had about 4 project cars, a finished 33 Ford. He is selling cars to build a garage so he can build the cars he had to sell to build the garage.

John
I second mortgaged the house to build my shop and then filled it with project cars before I paid off the mortgage.....

If he needs pointers on how to get his wife to agree to that, have him contact me...my wife says I have "very smooth moves"...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
John long (09-30-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 02:05 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post

John, there's nothing wrong with that nozzle that a couple wraps of duct tape won't fix....
Now why in the world did I not think of that?
Old 09-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,082 Times in 965 Posts
Quote:
You know, I suspect that if it is a numbers matching car, even being rusty it will bring that AS IS. I am no expert but I suspect it would be money invested not spent.

Look at it this way, You would own one of the few cars David doesn't have.
This is my problem, I am torn as to "invest" being I don't know a thing about these cars. When I look I am amazed at how cheap they go! How in the heck can a Cobra be worth a million dollars and this car $50K? I know they are quite different but they are the "same" at the same time, how could be possibly not be worth $100k at least?

I haven't found a basket case to see what it's worth but the Alpine parts are dirt cheap, a nice door on eBay, $50, a pair of super nice tail lights, $50, the Alpines are very cheap, but the Tigers are much more, most of the parts fit on both. I am just amazed at how little they are worth.

Brian
Old 09-30-2013, 03:28 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Very good question Brian, and one I've wondered about since not long after the Cobra and Tigers both hit the market. I know the main reason is the Cobra's race history, and connection to a major auto maker, but it might also be the long history a Cobra has vs. the short lived Tiger. The Tiger was never around long enough to be refined and developed to the status the Cobras reached, so it never had the performance and handling that subsequent Cobras were famous for.
Considering both the Cobra and the Tiger were Shelby ideas, the Tiger could have been as successful. The problem was that Shelby wanted Tigers to be built in his facility in the USA, but Rootes wanted Jensen to build them in their facility in England, and just pay Shelby a royalty for each car built. I don't think Rootes or Jensen ever considered developing the Tiger further, so it languished and died as the US market was not interested in a import built hotrod, and instead followed the Cobras. Had they handed the Tiger over to Shelby, I think we'd see Tigers getting as big a dollar value as Cobras, and probably see other engine options besides the lowly 260 Ford too!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:01 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Another issue partially explained why the Tiger was such a short-lived production. Chrysler bought up (most of) Rootes group and then found themselves putting a Ford engine into one of "their" cars

It just occurred to me that Chrysler has had a less than stellar record of working with partners - Rootes, Simca, AMC, Renault, Mitsubishi, Daimler and now Fiat. Note that Fiat is financially suffering badly in Europe and elsewhere.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
This is my problem, I am torn as to "invest" being I don't know a thing about these cars. When I look I am amazed at how cheap they go! How in the heck can a Cobra be worth a million dollars and this car $50K? I know they are quite different but they are the "same" at the same time, how could be possibly not be worth $100k at least?

I haven't found a basket case to see what it's worth but the Alpine parts are dirt cheap, a nice door on eBay, $50, a pair of super nice tail lights, $50, the Alpines are very cheap, but the Tigers are much more, most of the parts fit on both. I am just amazed at how little they are worth.

Brian
It looks like you are wisely doing your homework. Smart move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
Another issue partially explained why the Tiger was such a short-lived production. Chrysler bought up (most of) Rootes group and then found themselves putting a Ford engine into one of "their" cars

It just occurred to me that Chrysler has had a less than stellar record of working with partners - Rootes, Simca, AMC, Renault, Mitsubishi, Daimler and now Fiat. Note that Fiat is financially suffering badly in Europe and elsewhere.
I think Daimler has really hurt their own brand name. Years ago when you thought of Mercedes Benz you thought of a 300 thousand mile car while all the others were going 150,000 if you were lucky. Now the last thing you want is a high mileage Mercedes when a plastic body clip is 16 dollars and can't be taken off without breaking it.

John
Old 09-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Went to the Doctor today. I was a little concerned when after an extensive physical he said I was doing "pretty well" for my age.

A little concerned about that comment, I couldn't
resist asking him, 'Do you think I'll live to be 80?'

He asked, 'Do you smoke tobacco, or drink beer, wine or hard liquor?'

Not much I replied. 'I'm not doing drugs, either!'

Then he asked, 'Do you eat rib-eye steaks and barbecued
ribs?'

I said, 'Not much... my former doctor said that
all red meat is very unhealthy!'

'Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing
golf, boating, sailing, hiking, or bicycling?'

'No, I don't,' I said.

He asked, 'Do you gamble, drive fast cars, or have a
lots of sex?'

'No,' I said...

He looked at me and said, 'Then, why do you even give a sheet?'

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
Metalman Sr. (10-02-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 07:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Went to the Doctor today. I was a little concerned when after an extensive physical he said I was doing "pretty well" for my age.

A little concerned about that comment, I couldn't
resist asking him, 'Do you think I'll live to be 80?'

He asked, 'Do you smoke tobacco, or drink beer, wine or hard liquor?'

Not much I replied. 'I'm not doing drugs, either!'

Then he asked, 'Do you eat rib-eye steaks and barbecued
ribs?'

I said, 'Not much... my former doctor said that
all red meat is very unhealthy!'

'Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing
golf, boating, sailing, hiking, or bicycling?'

'No, I don't,' I said.

He asked, 'Do you gamble, drive fast cars, or have a
lots of sex?'

'No,' I said...

He looked at me and said, 'Then, why do you even give a sheet?'

John
RIGHT ON !!!!! What's the point ???

So, what happened at Sonic ... I'm living my cruise life thru those who still can.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:41 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
RIGHT ON !!!!! What's the point ???

So, what happened at Sonic ... I'm living my cruise life thru those who still can.
Barb and I did go but I did not take pictures. I guess i felt like everyone would be tired of seeing basically the same cars. We did have a nice evening though.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:11 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,082 Times in 965 Posts
I didn't get a damn thing done but I pickup a Holly progressive two barrel for Marge from my nephew. I am thinking she may break the speed limit with this!

Brian

The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (09-30-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 12:18 AM

Last journal entry: C10
Last photo:

????

Hay John is that a '49 or '50 Chevy you're working: I bet it came out of squire when you cut the rocker out, I didn't see any bracing fixtures to hold things in place. Good luck.

Bill
Old 10-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman Sr. View Post
Hay John is that a '49 or '50 Chevy you're working: I bet it came out of squire when you cut the rocker out, I didn't see any bracing fixtures to hold things in place. Good luck.

Bill
I guess I wasn't very clear Bill. The car is not out of square. The 3rd row floorboard channel and body mounts are. They are not even attached to the car yet. I will tweak them as needed but have to admit I got all excited about the fourth row and have not pursued it yet.

John
Old 10-01-2013, 09:13 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman Sr. View Post

Bill
John is working on a "53 Belair convertible.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:07 PM

Last photo:

Drove 180 miles round trip today to look at a '67 Corvair convert. Trying to join the topless crowd with John....

It's a "driver" but it came from Naples FL and the salt air must have eaten it pretty good in the past. Lots of repair panels and bondo badly done. It's a 40 footer.... Best things are the Corsa 140 engine and dash someone put in long ago and it's a 4 speed. Black interior is presentable, the body will look OK for a few years yet. It needs a whole new top and all associated parts. $2500 too much ?? I really want a cleaner body but they are hard to find in the price range. Oh and the top is power.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Drove 180 miles round trip today to look at a '67 Corvair convert. Trying to join the topless crowd with John....

It's a "driver" but it came from Naples FL and the salt air must have eaten it pretty good in the past. Lots of repair panels and bondo badly done. It's a 40 footer.... Best things are the Corsa 140 engine and dash someone put in long ago and it's a 4 speed. Black interior is presentable, the body will look OK for a few years yet. It needs a whole new top and all associated parts. $2500 too much ?? I really want a cleaner body but they are hard to find in the price range. Oh and the top is power.
If it has a good running gear, I have a 63 Monza Convertible 4 speed car you can almost have. It has been in the barn since 1976. Not very rusty but it has been put away for so long, I am not sure how much of it is usable. I am pushing the rules of the forum, If wou want to know more PM me.

John

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.