Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#7,241 ·
Spent the day tearing the 327 down, and getting the tilt frontend taken off the car. Marking all the wiring to cut, and before I put it back on I'll solder in a plug so it's easier if I ever need to do it again. I put a plug on my Falcon tilt frontend to make it quick disconnect when I built it.
Engine is down to the short block and completely unbolted. Just need to get my neighbor to bring back my hoist and a dozen other tools he's got over in his garage so I can get it on the engine stand. I also welded an extra box tubing brace to my HF engine stand, as it seemed to sag under weight the last time I had my complete engine on it. Should be stout now.

#7,242 ·
Tore into a '47 Ford coupe at work. This car has been sitting in the corner for 5 years. They had it sandblasted, installed a rear spring lowering kit and then pushed it aside. I was told this would be my next project for the last 2 years...:rolleyes: I finished the '57 Chev wagon last week and had to find something to do again. The boss was in FL and wouldn't be back until noon today, so I dug it out and had the front off before he got back.. :D It's now "officially" my next project...;)

The Heidt's kit has been sitting on the shelf for 5 years too.

First step is to weld in 2 plugs in holes where the crossmember will weld in.

Next was to cut out a crescent and peen the frame over for spring clearance. forgot to get a pic of it done...:rolleyes:

Crossmember mocked up and ready to weld.

#7,243 ·
Tore into a '47 Ford coupe at work. This car has been sitting in the corner for 5 years. They had it sandblasted, installed a rear spring lowering kit and then pushed it aside. I was told this would be my next project for the last 2 years...:rolleyes: I finished the '57 Chev wagon last week and had to find something to do again. The boss was in FL and wouldn't be back until noon today, so I dug it out and had the front off before he got back.. :D It's now "officially" my next project...;)

If I am looking at the picture right that is a short door business coupe. I hope you can post pictures as you go on this one. That is my kind of car. I, for one, would love to follow along as you do this one.

I got my plug weld holes drilled today and my piece that covers the frame almost built but still have a way to go.

All and all a good day for the couple of hours I had to play.

John

#7,245 ·
been doing a bit of everything at work lately, including some paint. This is an upper rail I replaced on a Ford Fusion. The support is a bolt on and in raw plastic so no need to paint that.

it was good fun painting these jambs. It's been over 3 years since I last painted!...and it's obvious with this half arse mask job on the jambs

I was originally supposed to re-do a bad blend and although it was bad it didn't look AS bad outside, but there was still the other fender that needed to be blended. I pinpointed the problem with the original blend to the blending agent making the color too light. So I tinted it a hair when mixed with the blending agent and added a little more base coat into the blending agent formula after the initial wetbed, which is what it calls for anyways. Looked good under the sun gun and looks really good after the clear. We'll really be able tell tomorrow but I think it's gonna look good. These blues and silvers have been giving everybody fits here.

since no sealer was sprayed I took the chance of bagging it to the edge. Hey, I had to rush to get this done today. What took the other guy 3 days to do I do in 1 day, and he calls himself a painter-lol

#7,246 ·
Looks like I got some catchin up to do,we lost power wed and it didn't come back on till sat just got the internet back on yesterday.the whole infrastructure went down here in Ga. due to that storm ,it just wasn't meant to handle wheather like this. about a thousand line worker came in from all over the country and they were based two blocks from us but we were the last one to get turned on....trees are down everywhere we're still digging out from the aftermath ,what a mess.

#7,247 ·
I need a lot of help deadman. Pretty much every word you say is becoming the gospel truth. I used all my ospho on the cab. Rustmort on the doors. I know I cannot buy oshpo here.

Now some one go look at my pics in body forum and help me out before I screw up again. Please???
I'll check it out but....

ospho is the only one I've used ,I wont be of any help at all if your using something else but I have been using it well over 35 yrs successfully.
I know some guys say they are all the same but those are the same guys that say ospho don't work too....trust me ,it works , or my names not DBM,LOL

#7,248 ·
I'll check it out but....

ospho is the only one I've used ,I wont be of any help at all if your using something else but I have been using it well over 35 yrs successfully.
I know some guys say they are all the same but those are the same guys that say ospho don't work too....trust me ,it works , or my names not DBM,LOL

Saw on the news today parts of Augusta still don't have power,we were only out a e\few hours but we were without phones and internet 3 days, no power would make tensions run high ,:evil:

#7,252 ·
Pulled the oil pan on my 327 in the Austin gasser today. Had a rod noise in it the other day, and narrowed it down to #8. When I dropped the pan I could see the rod cap and end of the rod were both black, so I knew it wasn't good. Spun bearing, and rod and crank are both toast. They've already been turned 10/10, and not sure what it might take to clean up the crank.
I've been looking at Eagle Specialties rotating assemblies. Although they don't make anything for a 327, they do make a 350 assembly, and since my engine is a large journal '69, the 350 assembly would be a drop in. It comes with everything from crank, to pistons, plus rods, ARP bolts, wrist pins, bearings, and rings. So if I order it in the same .040" bore I have it will get me to 357 c.i. in the end. At $600, for the balanced assembly, it's cheaper than having my crank turned, replacing rods, balancing, and ending up still with used reconditioned parts. Lots of different dome choices, so I can keep my 10:1 cr that I have, and reuse my top end.
$600.00 to gain 30 cubes and more torque and horsepower is not a bad deal at all. :D

#7,254 ·
Made good progress on the '47 ford.

Leveled the frame and crossmember and tacked it in.

Cut out the divots for the spring clearance a little bigger to match the circumference better.

Moved on to getting the spring towers aligned and welded on.

Welded all the way around the towers and crossmember for strength.

Assembled the suspension and steering so we can put wheels on and roll it around again.

#7,256 ·
I was anticipating getting this thing outside to check the match but it was still a little soft so I put the infrared on it and worked on the comet. After lunch I pulled it out and cut and rubbed it.

I think it was a good decision to play around with the blending agent mix to slightly darken it and by adding more base. You can't even tell there was a blend! My next job is a charcoal metallic, so I'll use a spray out and add a little black to the blending agent mix and base and pretty much do the same thing I did here. Looks like I'm the new painter now but told him to hold off on the completes til I get a dedicated air and full face shield. Too much clear for the eyeballs.

it even looks decent butted up against the a pillar(butt match).

production cut and rub. No wool, thanks Shine!

#7,257 ·
I was anticipating getting this thing outside to check the match but it was still a little soft so I put the infrared on it and worked on the comet. After lunch I pulled it out and cut and rubbed it.

I think it was a good decision to play around with the blending agent mix to slightly darken it and by adding more base. You can't even tell there was a blend! My next job is a charcoal metallic, so I'll use a spray out and add a little black to the blending agent mix and base and pretty much do the same thing I did here. Looks like I'm the new painter now but told him to hold off on the completes til I get a dedicated air and full face shield. Too much clear for the eyeballs.
Congratulations Henry. I hope you like the paint side. It always feels good to have someone trust you with added responsability. Hopefully this will translate to money in your pocket. :thumbup:

John

#7,258 ·
Congratulations Henry. I hope you like the paint side. It always feels good to have someone trust you with added responsability. Hopefully this will translate to money in your pocket. :thumbup:

John
Pretty excited about it. After replacing the rail and jambing the car I felt disrespected that he brings in a guy to paint who can't even paint. The guy left hard lines everywhere. Backmasked but didn't even push the tape in. Actually taped right up to the fender jamb and I swear I cut my finger on it. I just used 6" paper back masked 1/8" into the jamb. After fully going over what he did I felt grateful for all the little tips I've gotten thru the years that helped me out in doing something I'm not totally comfortable doing.

#7,260 ·
I really don't like how my eyes feel dry though. I'm looking into those hobby air supplied air systems. Supposed to take my Mustang to my pal's warehouse soon to finish it off before I sell it so maybe I can talk the wife into letting me buy one on my credit card. I'll remind her it's for my health.