Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#7,302 ·
Be careful, you're so used to working from the other side, you might put the floor in backwards now....:p

I had 12 members of the Chevelle Club here today for the monthly meeting and BS session. We were supposed to be doing a tech session with my plasma, Mig and Tig welders but only one guy had 2 plates he wanted to cut out with the plasma. We set up the Tig and I played with it a few minutes. It's going to be a longer learning curve than when I picked up a Mig handle...:(
I have only played with my buddie's TIG but really liked it I would love to have one but it is way down on the priority list I'm afraid. I am sick and tired of grinding MIG welds. :drunk:

John

#7,303 ·
I certainly hope you don't overload your door lift. It is not wise to abuse your tools. :thumbup:

John
No worries there. It's good for 480 LBS with the cable doubled.

And if you go over, it just doesn't pick the item up.
Great investment for about 70 bucks. A real back saver.

#7,308 ·
I found this pic today of my 88. I had it since new. I redid the rockers and cab corners, a bit around the wheels wells. Then I sold it. To make room for 53.

Darnit! I miss that truck already. It looks good, but the frame is so finished on it. I decided to put my effort into something older. I did it all with rattle cans too!

Attachments

#7,309 ·
You know what's creepy? My God time flies, this is a photo of the day I brought my truck home. It's a 48 and it was 26 years old the day I brought I in 1974.

This is your 1988 truck that looks darn near like a new truck to me! It certainly doesn't look like a "vintage" truck to my 55 year old brain, yet it is the same age as my OLD truck was when I bought it!

My God time goes by fast! :sweat:

Brian

#7,310 ·
awesome weekend so far. Saturday I visited my old stomping grounds in SF and my daughter got to go eat at a nice place with her grandfather and then we all walked down to the playground for a couple hours. Then I dropped pops off and we headed to Baker beach, where I held my daughter's hand as we said, "na-na-nanana-you can't get me" to the incoming waves as we'd run for our lives up and down the beach. Good fun. Today just pulling weeds in the backyard and will finally hollow out my stump and perhaps will get a fender for the 49ers bike started and planished out so when the E wheel gets here I can do some quiet work on the week nights and get it nice. Would be great to do all the loud stuff on the weekend and save all the quiet wheeling/bead rolling for the weeknights. Anyhow, gotta go run to the store to make my wife and daughter an awesome veggie sandwich...garbanzo beans/kidney beans mashed up with vinegar and olive oil, topped with advocado, sprouts, lettuce, tomatoes, on fresh sourdough. Good day all.

#7,311 ·
I also took a day off from car stuff.

It is 72 degrees here and Barb and I just got back from about a 150 mile ride around the lake on the Harley.

It did a lot for my cabin fever but it is supposed to be a high of 39 on Wednesday. If so it is good we did it while we could. Cabin fever will return soon enough.

John

Attachments

#7,313 ·

It is 72 degrees here and Barb and I just got back from about a 150 mile ride around the lake on the Harley.

It did a lot for my cabin fever but it is supposed to be a high of 39 on Wednesday. If so it is good we did it while we could. Cabin fever will return soon enough.

John
John ,I think riding around on a Harley is about the best excuse not to work there is..
Myself,I worked all weekend but I also made progress with be bead roller...and came up with an unusual design for rollers that I'm in the process of getting turned. When the rollers are done I'll post some pics. I'll start a thread when the bead roller is done I expect in about 2 weeks. its variable speed/reversible.with a 30" throat. I'll be getting restarted on the coupe as soon as its done.......whahoo

#7,315 ·
John ,I think riding around on a Harley is about the best excuse not to work there is..
Myself,I worked all weekend but I also made progress with be bead roller...and came up with an unusual design for rollers that I'm in the process of getting turned. When the rollers are done I'll post some pics. I'll start a thread when the bead roller is done I expect in about 2 weeks. its variable speed/reversible.with a 30" throat. I'll be getting restarted on the coupe as soon as its done.......whahoo
I think we are all looking forward to both. :thumbup:

John

#7,317 ·
Brian heres a shot of my truck getting loaded up for a trip to its new home.
Did you just buy this? If you did you really need to change the date on your camera, or turn it off, when you are gone your family is going to have one hell of time figuring out what you did in life and when!:drunk:

Looks like a pretty solid truck.:thumbup:

Brian

#7,318 ·
Thought I'd post some pics of the '69 Nova gasser I've been building for a friend. A little off beat, but this is my buddy's Nova that I've been helping him build lately.
The engine is a full roller 350, bored .030", with Offenhouser tunnel ram. Headers are Tri 5 Chevy. Rear axle is a 3.73 posi, 8.8" Ford, trans is a T56 six speed, front axle is a Econoline that we converted to Aerostar rotors, and GM calipers, and rear is stock Explorer disc brakes. Hand built ladder bars. Hood isn't on it, but it's a fiberglass cowl induction cut for the tunnel ram and scoop to clear. It will be a lift off, as it's a lightweight. All the luxuries of power steering and power brakes too!
Stock interior, with bucket seats, and a 4 point roll bar. That's the original factory red paint! Not perfect, but pretty decent for 45 yr. old paint!

We've got a few more days work, and it will be road ready!

#7,319 ·

John
And you talk about others having a mean streak....:nono:

We struggled to get to 14° degrees with a 20mph wind that felt like -2 all day...:pain:

#7,320 ·
Thought I'd post some pics of the '69 Nova gasser I've been building for a friend. A little off beat, but this is my buddy's Nova that I've been helping him build lately.
The engine is a full roller 350, bored .030", with Offenhouser tunnel ram. Headers are Tri 5 Chevy. Rear axle is a 3.73 posi, 8.8" Ford, trans is a T56 six speed, front axle is a Econoline that we converted to Aerostar rotors, and GM calipers, and rear is stock Explorer disc brakes. Hand built ladder bars. Hood isn't on it, but it's a fiberglass cowl induction cut for the tunnel ram and scoop to clear. It will be a lift off, as it's a lightweight. All the luxuries of power steering and power brakes too!
Stock interior, with bucket seats, and a 4 point roll bar. That's the original factory red paint! Not perfect, but pretty decent for 45 yr. old paint!

We've got a few more days work, and it will be road ready!

Mabe it will launch a little better than this. ,,Note rear tires .;)

Attachments