Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#7,462 ·
Wow, It looks great Pugsy. Is it all you hoped it would be?

John
Thanks John.

It seems OK.
I got a problem with the hydraulic jacks. They don't want to go down. The weight must have them cocked at an angle.

The tubing could have been one size larger and the axle system could have just been 2 large pillow blocks. With the castle nut and cotter pins system, there is a bit of slippage.

Overall, it works OK. Hitting the body with primer will be a breeze for sure.

Ran out of time last night. Got to play with it tonight to see how it is.

#7,464 ·
Thanks John.

It seems OK.
I got a problem with the hydraulic jacks. They don't want to go down. The weight must have them cocked at an angle.

The tubing could have been one size larger and the axle system could have just been 2 large pillow blocks. With the castle nut and cotter pins system, there is a bit of slippage.

Overall, it works OK. Hitting the body with primer will be a breeze for sure.

Ran out of time last night. Got to play with it tonight to see how it is.
Hopefully just a little fine tuning will take care of it.

I talked to a buddy about picking up some square tubing to make a hoop style one for the belAir last night. It would definitely take up less room in my shop length wise. It will only be used once by me.

John

#7,465 ·

I talked to a buddy about picking up some square tubing to make a hoop style one for the belAir last night. It would definitely take up less room in my shop length wise. It will only be used once by me.

John
Looking forward to seeing this. :thumbup:

#7,466 ·

John
Wouldn't round tubing be easier to bend into a circle ...:confused:

I've seen some pics of those and there will be areas of the body that will have restricted access for work space. That style may well be a better choice for your shop...;)

#7,467 ·
Wouldn't round tubing be easier to bend into a circle ...:confused:

I've seen some pics of those and there will be areas of the body that will have restricted access for work space. That style may well be a better choice for your shop...;)
I don't think forming the hoop is a major issue as it will be about a 7 foot diameter. I have a friend who said he took a 20 foot length if square tubing and hooked it to his back hoe wheel with a chain, drove down the length of steel and pulled it onto about a 6 foot hoop. Mickey said the ends overlapped a little but it was easy to spring it out and make the ends meet.

I have also seen an octagonal shape made that would sit on its flat spots. (HomemadeTools.net). That would require only miter cuts and some welding.........Still thinking. :)

John

#7,469 ·
I don't think forming the hoop is a major issue as it will be about a 7 foot diameter. I have a friend who said he took a 20 foot length if square tubing and hooked it to his back hoe wheel with a chain, drove down the length of steel and pulled it onto about a 6 foot hoop. Mickey said the ends overlapped a little but it was easy to spring it out and make the ends meet.

I have also seen an octagonal shape made that would sit on its flat spots. (HomemadeTools.net). That would require only miter cuts and some welding.........Still thinking. :)

John
The octagon would be a pain in your space. You'd have to pull it back to center every time you "rolled" it. The round tubing would sit in a cradle with rollers to keep it centered and allow easy rolling in place.

Roller Hoop - Contact Us

#7,470 ·
The octagon would be a pain in your space. You'd have to pull it back to center every time you "rolled" it. The round tubing would sit in a cradle with rollers to keep it centered and allow easy rolling in place.

Roller Hoop - Contact Us

Agreed, This would be best. I just don't see 1400 dollars though...and that is without casters. Lots of time to make a decision on how I want to go. Since it will be a one time deal for me I need to make something inexpensive. You guys do remember how frugal :D I am. (Still love that word.)

I did work on some templates for the floorpans tonoght.

#7,471 ·
Do you have proper restraints for it as it does not meet height restrictions,it may hae to be in an approved car seat,and proper permits for installation and meet noise requirements,not to mention,waste desposal of the old radio ,proper paperworj and proof of ownership just in case you get pulled over for LOUD MUSIC ,:D:D:D
I am kinda shocked you didn't cut a hole in the floor too mount the radio in!!! LOL
That pic cracked me up.

#7,472 ·
Agreed, This would be best. I just don't see 1400 dollars though...and that is without casters. Lots of time to make a decision on how I want to go. Since it will be a one time deal for me I need to make something inexpensive. You guys do remember how frugal :D I am. (Still love that word.)
I didn't include the link thinking you would buy one, just as a reference to get the brain scheming on building it....

#7,477 ·
The thing I don't get is why is such an elaborate thing needed for such sort use? I don't know but on my cab I plan on welding some pieces of tubing straight up off the cart that I have so the cab can be bolted to it with the back of the cab down so the floor can be sand blasted top and bottom, the firewall can be blasted, as well as all the jambs. I will then prime and paint the underside then put it back up as normal and prime the rest of it.

That's my plan that is, it may change but that's the plan.

Ok, I got out to the garage after a few week hiatus. I got an idea today on putting the stereo in the Marge and had to jump out there and start it.

Here is the glove box in these cars, it is a drawer that slides out from under the dash. It only moves about four or five inches.

And here is the start of the mod, this is an extra glove box by the way, so cool that I saved it from my parts car.

It will be realistically hidden from view unless you REALLY want to look under there. But even then, I plan on making some kind of cover. For the typical dummy who would break my windows to take this $35 stereo nothing but a black cover would do it. But I think I am going to make a fold down tissue dispenser just for the fun of it.

And if you are wondering if the stereo will fit, I am going to cut a hole in the back so it hangs out a bit (very little) just so I can tuck it back out of sight as far as I can. The new stereo I have without the cd player and USB plug is shorter than your typical radio so it actually almost fits, but I planned on cutting the back out anyway. I am stoked.

WHOOO HOOOOO:thumbup:

Brian

#7,478 ·
busy busy at work today. Prepped the jambs and bumper on the Avenger, body worked and primed a Rav4 hood, and primed an old fender. Tomorrow I paint the jambs on the Avenger as well as the bumpers. Not the best at burning in clear but will give it a try. I did one on my wife's car and it turned out ok.

Anyhow, got a couple hours in on the tank I'm fabbing up and the other side is going so much smoother and I'm learning so much. Hopefully by this weekend I have a buck for it cause I can't wait to weld it together with the middle piece. For a minute I was worried that the edges were too thin on the first one I fabbed up due to rolling the edges smooth but I cut a little bit off that would be cut off anyways(for a cleaner cut line) and it's thick again! Woo hoo!

#7,479 ·
The thing I don't get is why is such an elaborate thing needed for such sort use? I don't know but on my cab I plan on welding some pieces of tubing straight up off the cart that I have so the cab can be bolted to it with the back of the cab down so the floor can be sand blasted top and bottom, the firewall can be blasted, as well as all the jambs. I will then prime and paint the underside then put it back up as normal and prime the rest of it.

Ok, I got out to the garage after a few week hiatus. I got an idea today on putting the stereo in the Marge and had to jump out there and start it.

Here is the glove box in these cars, it is a drawer that slides out from under the dash. It only moves about four or five inches.

And here is the start of the mod, this is an extra glove box by the way, so cool that I saved it from my parts car.

It will be realistically hidden from view unless you REALLY want to look under there. But even then, I plan on making some kind of cover. For the typical dummy who would break my windows to take this $35 stereo nothing but a black cover would do it. But I think I am going to make a fold down tissue dispenser just for the fun of it.

And if you are wondering if the stereo will fit, I am going to cut a hole in the back so it hangs out a bit (very little) just so I can tuck it back out of sight as far as I can. The new stereo I have without the cd player and USB plug is shorter than your typical radio so it actually almost fits, but I planned on cutting the back out anyway. I am stoked.

Brian
I did he exact same thing back in the 50's to hide my tunes maker. Of course it was my " State of the Art" Muntz 8-track ( sold to me by Jim Muntz, Mad Man's son).
It all comes around again!

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

#7,480 ·

Brian

Since I am Cheap not frugal I will be using 2 HD motor stands with cross bar bolted to them , I have for 7.3 Navistar diesel engines for temporary rotisserie since I already have them and only need to turn 45 degrees to do the floors in my 55