The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 378 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
Henry, you didn't learn to use it then, you didn't give it a chance. I know with your smarts you would find the ways to make it work. If you did you would find that you can get to about 95% of welds, you simply have to cut away the panel you are removing. Besides, you need all the "clamps" that most guys don't have. The tool only comes with the smallest one, with just that, heck yeah it is seriously limited. Adding the others changed everything.

I watch the guys drill out weld after weld pushing on the drill, one after another. This tool does all that for you. And you don't have to think about how deep, it does that too.

You could do a hundred spot welds in minutes, all looking exactly like that, a gentle split with the panel splitter and it comes apart like you unbolted it.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

One of the best tools in the shop ,after many spot welds my Old hands are not cramping.like they normally would be.
it does most of the work for you.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:21 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

I have my reasons. I knew about the depth clamp. If I find one for $150-$200 I'd jump all over it but I'm not going to spend $300+ for a tool I already have when I'm looking at bead rollers and english wheels. Not in a hurry to get one but I always have an eye out on CL for good deals and that's one tool I'm looking for.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:58 PM

Last photo:

Finished up assembling a bone stock 31 Ford "banger" long block today, Original builder had installed the rods wrong with the dippers facing the wrong direction. Didn't oil the rods well.. Been waiting for a good cylinder head for a while now.. Will finish up the paint and install distrib and plugs tomorrow

Woops wrong pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1104131556a (1).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	96417   Click image for larger version

Name:	1104131556a (2).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	96425  
Old 11-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I got to work on the 53 today for a change. Sure was dirty work removing the rocker and grinding the spot welds. It was good to be back on it though.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 07:11 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

really random stuff kind of day. Swapped out a knuckle/ strut on a Lexus SUV, took off the roof rack, filled some holes on a Vette, and helped wet sand The GTO to take out some of the urethane wave. It's hard to make these cars look sharp but we're gonna pull it off and it only got primed twice. We're meshing well as a team on the restorations now,which is nice.

We also got word that we will be doing Demarcus Cousins' Le Mans. He's the star center for The Sacramento Kings and arguably the best young center in the game. I'm pretty excited to know that at least on one occasion he himself will come check the car out and not his side kick. That's gonna be awesome and I'm gonna tell him he's the best center and very underrated, and I believe that. Probably will fan out on him and get an autograph and pic too.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Blown 502

Last photo:

Took the Ranger to the track Sat for it's last passes of the season, unfortunately the track was 515 ft above sea level so the et's were a couple of tenth off it's usual et's but any time you take it home in one piece it's a total success.

Then tucked my Ranger away for the winter in a friends garage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131106_132114.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	96433   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131106_164737.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	96441  
Old 11-06-2013, 11:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
really random stuff kind of day. Swapped out a knuckle/ strut on a Lexus SUV, took off the roof rack, filled some holes on a Vette, and helped wet sand The GTO to take out some of the urethane wave. It's hard to make these cars look sharp but we're gonna pull it off and it only got primed twice. We're meshing well as a team on the restorations now,which is nice.

We also got word that we will be doing Demarcus Cousins' Le Mans. He's the star center for The Sacramento Kings and arguably the best young center in the game. I'm pretty excited to know that at least on one occasion he himself will come check the car out and not his side kick. That's gonna be awesome and I'm gonna tell him he's the best center and very underrated, and I believe that. Probably will fan out on him and get an autograph and pic too.

DeMarcus Cousins Offense Highlights 2012/2013 - YouTube
Cool!

Brian
Old 11-06-2013, 11:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetRob View Post
Took the Ranger to the track Sat for it's last passes of the season, unfortunately the track was 515 ft above sea level so the et's were a couple of tenth off it's usual et's but any time you take it home in one piece it's a total success.

10 92 Island 11 2 13 - YouTube

10 81 Island 11 2 13 - YouTube

10 70 Island 11 2 13 - YouTube

Then tucked my Ranger away for the winter in a friends garage
Damn I miss the drags, The Rangers looking good!

Brian
Old 11-06-2013, 11:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I got to work on the 53 today for a change. Sure was dirty work removing the rocker and grinding the spot welds. It was good to be back on it though.

John
Got out there and did a little studying on the truck and the spare roof to figure the best way to rake the posts. Then got back to cleaning. I am getting so much better at throwing stuff out but not quite good enough.

I am going to get back on the truck this weekend I believe. I have been talking to a guy at work about welding sheetmetal and really learning a lot. Some mind blowing techniques that go against everything I have ever known. I am dying to get back at it and see how they work.

Brian
Old 11-07-2013, 09:04 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Cool!

Brian
I'm pretty excited to be involved with that build. I'm assuming when he does show up it will be after paint.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

The fellow redoing my old 47 ragtop asked if I would come buy and help install the windshield. This is the same car I built in 1972 and the one I straightened the stainless trim on a week or so ago.

I also have enjoyed being part of this build even though it is a very small part.

The owner offered me the 60/40 Cordoba power seat that was in it. I need to do some measuring and see if it would be a good choice for the '53.

John

Old 11-07-2013, 04:01 PM

Last photo:

My daughter bought an old Jimmy from her uncle. I warned her about the problems with a high mile GM 4.3 powered vehicle... But,,,,,

It has funny looking oil.. I hear last night.... Today I installed intake gaskets. Looked at the front end parts.. Right tie rod end. Idler arm and cross bar are shot. Start to do the repairs and discover the brake pads are about to the metal and the rotors are almost at discard.. Rjght shock is shot and sway arm bushing is gone..

But daddy,, Why didn't you get my car done today???
Old 11-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

My 4Runner has been parked for a couple of months - maybe selling it, so I'd kinda like it to start. Of course, with computerized this 'n'that plus 2 separate alarms & immobilizers, it has drained the battery completely, so I went and got a "smart charger" with 8 different levels of charge, etc.

Went out, disconnected the batt (Yes, I know, I should have done that when I parked it, but....) and hooked it up on "supply/desulphate" level to see if I can make it recover or if I gotta buy yet another new battery. I think I should buy shares in a battery maker! This would be the fourth new batt I'd have to get this year!
Old 11-08-2013, 07:25 AM

Last journal entry: bump stops
Last photo:

I just ordered two new studded snow tires from Tirerac. for my plow truck here in Maine. 400. bucks for 2 tires. I'd rather be buying a new battery. need two more next month. sc

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.