The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 379 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2013, 03:58 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Worked on the neighbors Corvette. Installed a new driven gear in the trans along with a new seal and o-ring on the adaptor. New speedo cable is in and I pulled the tack cable out and cleaned/lubed that too. He had a new clock and center gauge housing, so I installed that and then pulled the wheels for inspection and trouble shooting the left front grabbing. The left front isn't the problem. The right front has brake fluid on the rotor...can't see an obvious leak but the caliper must be seeping. He'll have to decide if he wants to do all 4 or just the one.

His heater core has been bypassed for years and with the entire dash out of the car, now would be the time to change that too, but I'm reluctant to get involved. His front control arm bushings are rotten and falling out too. Wish I would learn to NOT LOOK for more work...

After that I got the wife's winter tires/wheels down off the storage rack. I had mounted the tires on an extra set of wheels I bought and then realized they didn't have the TPM sensors. She whined all last winter about the car nagging her about no tire pressure... I bought a set of sensors and installed them today along with re-balancing. They are ready to put on. Hope I can get the computer to recognize the new sensors...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 04:27 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Went over this morning to watch our 14 yr. old granddaughter receive her black belt in Tae Kwondo. She thanked her grandmother for taking her to all the practices. My wife was very touched that she mentioned her, in her acceptance speech!
Got the poly bushings for a GM truck today, and looks like part of the set will fit perfectly in the straight axle on the front of the Falcon gasser. The rear spring bushings needed some trimming as they're 1/4" too large, so I put them in the lathe and turned them down 1/4". Nobody makes poly bushings for 1st gen Falcons, or the Econoline straight axle, so this worked out great!
Old 11-09-2013, 05:08 PM

Last journal entry: bump stops
Last photo:

took advantage of a sunny day in the 40's, power washed my wifes horse trailer inside and out. ready to put away for the winter. spread lime on my lawn went to our new Tractor Supply store, never been in one before. not a bad store to have around especially that its open on Sundays. Rain tomorrow so hope to work on my coupe.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
I got out and worked on my truck today WHOOO HOOOOO!
Double WHOOO HOOOOOWHOOO HOOOOO!

I played a little bit with my planishing hammer. I just can't believe that I own this tool and really didn't know what I could do with it. I thought it was all about fabricating panels, but it can be used to planish this weld that I would have done with hammer and dolly, this old dude is VERY thankful for this tool! This is one of the "frames" I have for it, I thought it was worthless, oh my God was I clueless!

I have been being "mentored" by a guy at work. This guy came to the shop and is an estimator, doesn't have a single tool there. He told me how he use to work at a rod shop here in the bay area, ok, I thought. The more he has talked to me about this stuff the more it has been made very clear, he knows his stuff! Anyway, I have been learning so much on our lunch time chats (he about crapped when I told him I had TWO pneumatic planishing hammers). He has an english wheel in his garage and is planning on starting a project, he wants to build something more challenging but his 69 Camaro is in his way right now, sounds familiar.

Anyway, this guy has been so nice, he has been so helpful to me I am thinking about giving him one of the planshing hammers. The only thing that holds me back is thinking about the one I keep braking, that would suck. But I need to get over that, he has been so cool to me.

Anyway, the other thing I did was rake one of the roof posts forward.

I used a method I have used a number of times, it really works well. Instead of cutting a slot to then weld up, either on top or on the bottom I simply removed a piece of metal that was supporting the back side. Then heated up a 3 or so inch area with the torch on the inside, I jacked the pillar out, done deal, as simple as that.

Instead of bending it right at the cut you bend it over that 3 inches creating the shape just as if it was made that way from the factory.

One of my dearest old friends stopped by tonight and wanted a picture of me by my truck so I had him get another with my camera.

He told me he had a piece of rope to help me bend the post. You see, he was one of my friends who helped me bend the post (wrong) when I chopped my original cab back in 1974. I ran a rope that was tied to the roof post, out the door of the barn I was in to a post. He and a couple of my other friends stood on the rope to bend the post over! Sad part is, two of those other friends are no longer with us.

I am dying to get out there tomorrow and get a little more done. This was very therapeutic for me.

Brian
Old 11-09-2013, 09:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Went over this morning to watch our 14 yr. old granddaughter receive her black belt in Tae Kwondo. She thanked her grandmother for taking her to all the practices. My wife was very touched that she mentioned her, in her acceptance speech!
Got the poly bushings for a GM truck today, and looks like part of the set will fit perfectly in the straight axle on the front of the Falcon gasser. The rear spring bushings needed some trimming as they're 1/4" too large, so I put them in the lathe and turned them down 1/4". Nobody makes poly bushings for 1st gen Falcons, or the Econoline straight axle, so this worked out great!
That is so cool! What a little sweetheart, you raised your kids right and they are raising their children right. Sooooo good to have her learning that too! Good stuff indeed.

Brian
Old 11-09-2013, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

On a side note to the garage I found an old "slapper" of mine from 35 years ago when I was doing restoration work full time. I blocked primer about half the time I was there. I had this slapper I made out of 1/8 brass rod to slap the sand paper knocking the primer out of it. Check out how it's worn half thru!

And this jet heater my boss gave me. I fired it up today, HOLY MOLY this sucker BLOWS SOME HEAT!

I fired it up not knowing the heat knob was turned wide open, it was REALLY putting out some heat. I thought holy crap I can't even use this thing the damn garage will be an oven! Then I realized I could turn it down. This baby is awesome!

Brian
Old 11-09-2013, 11:25 PM

Last photo:

went to take my camaro over to my friends farm shop today to finish installing the heater , car never made it out of the driveway. after putting the battery in it and fireing the car up i ran back inside for a few mins to gather my parts and head out.

get back in the car and it smells funny , liek that smell u get when something gets really hot ,look down at the temp gauge and notice its at 240* way to hot in such a short period of time , so i go pop the rad cap and theres no water in it , grab a jug of water out of the trunk and pour it in , sure enough fast as im pouring it in , it comes pouring right back out.

it pushed out the passenger side freeze plug behind the engine mount which i dont get , it had a 50/50 mix in it , my truck has the same brand an mix in it and didnt freeze, but then again ive been daily driving the truck.

so next weekend i now get to tow the car to the shop pull the engine and put in new freeze plugs i probably dont have to pull the engine out but atleast in doing so ill get a chance to prime the engine bay
Old 11-09-2013, 11:26 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

What did I do today? Not a bleeping thing! Felt really good to just kick back and laze around for a day. I needed it!
Old 11-10-2013, 06:54 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,426 Times in 1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
went to take my camaro over to my friends farm shop today to finish installing the heater , car never made it out of the driveway. after putting the battery in it and fireing the car up i ran back inside for a few mins to gather my parts and head out.

get back in the car and it smells funny , liek that smell u get when something gets really hot ,look down at the temp gauge and notice its at 240* way to hot in such a short period of time , so i go pop the rad cap and theres no water in it , grab a jug of water out of the trunk and pour it in , sure enough fast as im pouring it in , it comes pouring right back out.

it pushed out the passenger side freeze plug behind the engine mount which i dont get , it had a 50/50 mix in it , my truck has the same brand an mix in it and didnt freeze, but then again ive been daily driving the truck.

so next weekend i now get to tow the car to the shop pull the engine and put in new freeze plugs i probably dont have to pull the engine out but atleast in doing so ill get a chance to prime the engine bay
This is really bad news. I certainly hope it is only a freeze plug issue and you can get back together quickly.

John
Old 11-10-2013, 08:54 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
took advantage of a sunny day in the 40's, power washed my wifes horse trailer inside and out. ready to put away for the winter. spread lime on my lawn went to our new Tractor Supply store, never been in one before. not a bad store to have around especially that its open on Sundays. Rain tomorrow so hope to work on my coupe.
Make sure you look at the nuts and bolts. They're sold by the pound.

BB
Old 11-10-2013, 09:08 AM

Last photo:

I don't have a Tractor Supply store near me, I hit one up two and a half hours away when I am at my kids house. Black Diamond blasting media, HIGHLY recommend it. I get a kick out of going in because when I was a kid we had some property and horses and use to go to places like that (though much smaller) around here that are long gone. It's really a trip for me to go in there, a trip back in time.

Brian
Old 11-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Make sure you look at the nuts and bolts. They're sold by the pound.

BB

much better price than Home depot
I bought 24 lag bolts 1/4 x 6 at home depot 24.85 I ran out so I went to the NEW Tractor Supply I bought same bolts ,only 16 though they were $4.85 ,big difference.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:57 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Went to Tractor Supply and entered my zip code. My "local store" is a 6.5 hr. drive! Think I'll make up a big hardware list before I make the drive!
Old 11-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

That would be a good cruise for the Austin,having fun while youget something to work with.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I don't have a Tractor Supply store near me, I hit one up two and a half hours away when I am at my kids house. Black Diamond blasting media, HIGHLY recommend it. I get a kick out of going in because when I was a kid we had some property and horses and use to go to places like that (though much smaller) around here that are long gone. It's really a trip for me to go in there, a trip back in time.

Brian

They have mail order catalog for bigger items,would not be worth it for bolts if they charge for shipping unless you ordered large quanity ,they have the best price on grage 8 bolts I have found ,they sell by the pound.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.