The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 383 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,119 Times in 995 Posts
We just got about 25 new carts at the shop that are pretty neat, but I wonder if we shouldn't have gotten those, they do look very nice.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,119 Times in 995 Posts
I got the right front pillar heading in the right direction with my "5 minutes" today (more like 30).

The pillar needs to change shape as it goes down it's length with the new placement of the roof and the lower piece leaned in and back. I cut a piece out of the extra roof and it ended up needing a bit of help to make it fit. I first tacked it in where the outside fit. At the windshield is where I started making it fit perfect, as this would be the most difficult area to modify. After I tacked it at the windshield I was able to tack the bottom near the door, but the upper area at that point was way in, as the donor pillar sort of twisted in there.

This photo is after I drilled the welds out of that outer layer in the jamb and pulling out on that outer layer until it lined up then tacking it.

After tacking it in place at the windshield edge this is how it looked, with the inside no where near good enough to weld. It's kinda hard to see but the upper edge on the inside is off about a quarter inch.

One trick I have learned from collision repair is drilling out spot welds "unbolting" the parts. Where in the old days I would have spliced the pillar and welded up those splices after forcing it into shape. But drilling out the spots welds releases it to do about anything you want.

Here is the back side with the spot welds drilled out, then the outside pulled out to line up properly, then tacked. You can see just how far off that inside portion is!

And here it is after simply pulling the inside over with my hand and putting the clamp just to hold it. Will plug weld those holes up and it will be just like it was made that way. Now of course a little more work needs to be done to get it perfect, but you see it is well on it's way.

Today I drove the Gran Sport 200 miles (round trip) to a tiny little farming town out in the middle of the valley for a funeral of the wife of the guy who sold me my truck in '73.

My friend was overwrought with heartache, it was really sad. She had been very ill for years, in a rest home the last 8 years much of it with almost zero response. Though he visited her every single day for hours! This was after taking care of her at home for years. A true gentleman, one of the best ever. And neither of them EVER complained. What amazing people. I felt so bad for him at the funeral, it tore my heart out. When I got home after that long drive (I work with a guy who makes the trip every day!) I realllllllly needed to go out in the garage for some therapy if you know what I mean. This was after some serious hugging time with my wife though.

We are so blessed with this life guys, every day, THIS is life. Not sometime in the perfect future, this is it, enjoy it.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (11-13-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 06:21 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
They aren't going to paint anything but the new subframe, so I had to tape all the seams and be very careful taking it apart. The rack is pretty cool and I thought about buying one for home until I asked the owner what it cost....~$600...

Who is the rack avalible from.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:37 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
You are lucky to have such a store ,it is about13 miles to the closest town from where I live,and the population is under a thousand ,so the stores are down sized and limited as to what we can buy so I fell lucky to have the little tractor supply store move in .only 2 weeks ago.
I must have drove by the tractor store a thousand times and didnt know it was there until someone gave me directions ,its tucked away in a strip mall..I'm fourtunate to have Harbor fright 1/2 mile from the shop the tractor store 2mi,.home dept across the street from it and PPG paint 1 mile from the shop, all closer than my house which is 5miles we also have a huge a nut and bolt warehouse in town where you can get any type bolt or fastener you want but they are a bit pricey and the specific model body fasteners from al-veco arent too expensive when you get them by the box...but these are best orderd direct...It actually takes more time for me to sort through my 30 something coffee cans full of hardware than to run and buy new stuff...
For THAT I am fortunate...
Old 11-13-2013, 07:19 AM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

I normally buy a box of the sizes I need 3/8 and under because lot of the things I work on at home are older so lot of bolts are rusty or have the heads rounded ,and a few of the body and fender bolts various lengths,

but here is what happens when we get a break lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	526536_576642002390851_2082300537_n.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	98258  
Old 11-13-2013, 08:27 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

took a couple days off and on Friday I drilled holes for the GTO tack on the hood. The template was way off and had to re-adjust to fit factory spec, even though a few inches away you can clearly see the cowl is painted in orange and not the factory black-smh. Today I'll re-adjust the body on the frame cause it was painted off the frame and put on cockeyed and needs to be kicked over to make the hood opening square and to square up the body. Then I'll put on the hood and deck and take some final pics before it's delivered for final assembly. It looks pretty good but it's apparent we're having some issue with urethane wave.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 AM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
took a couple days off and on Friday I drilled holes for the GTO tack on the hood. The template was way off and had to re-adjust to fit factory spec, even though a few inches away you can clearly see the cowl is painted in orange and not the factory black-smh. Today I'll re-adjust the body on the frame cause it was painted off the frame and put on cockeyed and needs to be kicked over to make the hood opening square and to square up the body. Then I'll put on the hood and deck and take some final pics before it's delivered for final assembly. It looks pretty good but it's apparent we're having some issue with urethane wave.

am I missing the picture
Old 11-13-2013, 03:44 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Who is the rack avalible from.
Collision Services

Collision Services - Show Product

5 minutes with the sawzall...

Another cool tool at work. It scrubs under coating a debris off the surface to expose the spot welds.

Couple minutes of scrubbing.

Cut off more of the excess to get better access to the welds.

After drilling with the flat faced spot weld remover.

Couple taps with the chisel.

All gone ....

The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
John long (11-13-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 05:22 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,279 Times in 1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post

We are so blessed with this life guys, every day, THIS is life. Not sometime in the perfect future, this is it, enjoy it.

Brian

You are so right Brian. Every day is a precious gift and should be enjoyed to the fullest. It is sad that we don't really appreciate our lives until after we have lived most of it.

Quote:
Collision Services

Collision Services - Show Product

5 minutes with the sawzall...

Another cool tool at work. It scrubs under coating a debris off the surface to expose the spot welds.

Couple minutes of scrubbing.

Cut off more of the excess to get better access to the welds.
Thanks for posting Mitch. I assume that the Scrub Thug is not on sale for 19.99 at Harber Frieght.

You guys make me embarrassed to get so little done but I try to remmember that the journey I am on is to be enjoyed. The destination is just a bonus.

I did spend my 5 minutes and started trimming the LH side in order to install the rocker but really accomplished very little. My bucket is full tomorrow so hopefully this weekend will produce some results.

John
Old 11-13-2013, 07:12 PM

Last photo:

John, I do this for pay, so I have to produce, just like the other guys on here cranking this stuff out.
At home, I work like a turtle... don't let it get to you.

As for the Crud Thug, the current price is $515... You gotta be able to write an expense like that off on a business. It's not a tool I would buy to use a couple times a year at home...
Old 11-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,279 Times in 1,038 Posts
Quote:
John, I do this for pay, so I have to produce, just like the other guys on here cranking this stuff out.
At home, I work like a turtle... don't let it get to you.

As for the Crud Thug, the current price is $515... You gotta be able to write an expense like that off on a business. It's not a tool I would buy to use a couple times a year at home...
Understood, but it would be nice to ask the boss if you could borrow it overnight.

John
Old 11-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

How I could have used one of those scrubber a couple weeks ago on my hood and inner fenders removing that POR 15 ,

love this site see o lot of tried tools used before I buy them and some I didn't even know existed..just boyght a new 13 drawer tool chest Monday ,with all the new stuff on here I might have to get another box.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:19 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

That's a pretty aggressive looking scrubber brush! I think I need one of those for doing the underside of cars I can't take the body off to clean!
Old 11-13-2013, 08:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Understood, but it would be nice to ask the boss if you could borrow it overnight.

John
Actually, he'd tell me to take it... just bring it back in the morning.

Quote:
How I could have used one of those scrubber a couple weeks ago on my hood and inner fenders removing that POR 15 ,

love this site see o lot of tried tools used before I buy them and some I didn't even know existed..just boyght a new 13 drawer tool chest Monday ,with all the new stuff on here I might have to get another box.
The Crud Thug wouldn't have worked on that, if you had a hard time sanding it off. Undercoating, rust scale, dirt, etc. it works wonders but it doesn't do much for paints or coatings with good adhesion.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:30 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

I had a VERY hard time ,tried glass bead ,sand blasting ,air craft stripper,even took them to a commercial sand blaster ,they would not touch then ,he sais as well as it was adhered it would warp the metal,,so I sanded 4 days almost all day each day with 80 grit an a DA then epexy coated them for a base then did the regular prep ..Never again I will buy different panels before I would try that again.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.