The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 384 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Today my & I went (along with several of my car-club buddies) to the FINAL ever! public open house at a local car collection. Seems the owner passed away and his heirs are liquidating his estate. I have heard that the entire collection was sold intact, (and to a local buyer) so hopefully it will appear again somewhere

Cords, Auburns, early 30's Lincolns, similar aged Caddies, Including a V16 Cad!, plus a whole host of others. Packard limo's and Packard roadsters How about a Stutz Firetruck? And, of course, for contrast, a Crosley firetruck, from "Tinytown!"

A mint pebble beach type of restoration on a double overhead cam, supercharged Deusenberg, complete with thermostaticly-operated radiator shutters and headlights that steer along with the front wheels. (Sounds like the latest innovations from the 2014 models, doesn't it?)

Ever hear of a car called the Diana? 4 of them in this collection.

Early Mercedes, early Horch, and many other makes I had not heard of.

The very first "car' ever registered in BC - a Delion-Bouton 3 wheeler

Marmons, a Detroit Electric and a steam car of unidentified make.

My son used my camera and must have taken about 400 shots - now I gotta download them to the computer to see what I have.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 11:55 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

you can get a cheap eraser wheel, get the dynabrade hub, and wire wheel, and make it work. It won't be as good but it will be a whole lot better than anything under $300.

Today I just did what I normally do, fix all the big dents. Annoying. Today was McGuiver day for me. I pulled out a badly damaged wheel well with a home made C-clamp turned into a wheel well clamp being pulled by a comealong hooked to a chain wrapped around a concrete door opening. That's not all of it. I had to place a porto power on the rail and the edge of the roll up door opening to hold the car still. Worked great though. Just used vise grips to move and keep the wheel well clamp in place being that there was only one stationary pulling point, the door opening!
Old 11-14-2013, 05:19 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
I had a VERY hard time ,tried glass bead ,sand blasting ,air craft stripper,even took them to a commercial sand blaster ,they would not touch then ,he sais as well as it was adhered it would warp the metal,,so I sanded 4 days almost all day each day with 80 grit an a DA then epexy coated them for a base then did the regular prep ..Never again I will buy different panels before I would try that again.
did you try heating uo the undercoating with a propane torch with a difuser head or a heat gun then scrape it off with putty knifes? if its just undercoating it should scrape off clean to the metal very easily once its warmed up...
Old 11-14-2013, 06:28 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

It is not under coating it is a rust proof type paint ,works very well it had ben brushed on entire underside of the truck the inner fenders under side of the hood and interior floor Before I bought it ,I am removing it as I am painting it red inside amd out and underneath,,The POR15 is great stuff for its intended purpose and I think it would require enough heat to remove it , it would probably warp the hood, I finally have it off and in primer probably go in paint Saturday'
Thanks for the advise.
I bot it hot enough with heat gun it blistered the paint on the outside of the hood,but had no effect on the underside that I was trying to remove.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,081 Times in 964 Posts
I got the passenger pillar all welded up last night.

And the top of the pillar where it looks horribly mis-aligned? That is the factory weld not mine.

Brian
Old 11-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Looks really good Brian. First class.

Back in the early 90's when I was doing some customer work I had a 53 Ford F100 in the shop. It was unbelievable how poorly it was assembled from the factory. Even the drip rail where the ends came together over the windshield were off over an 1/8 of an inch. In those days pick up trucks were just tools. Strictly utilitarian and the quality control on the assembly line was nothing at all like the automobiles...and they weren't much to brag on.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (11-14-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 02:49 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, it's miles from perfect but I know where I can buy Chevy pickup in a can and will smooth it out later with that.

Brian
Old 11-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Thanks, it's miles from perfect but I know where I can buy Chevy pickup in a can and will smooth it out later with that.

Brian
It looks awful good to me with out the Chevy pick up in the can.

I guess that would not help me. I am hoping for a stem cell break through. Mine needs to reconstitute itself.

John
MARTINSR (11-14-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 05:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
Today my & I went (along with several of my car-club buddies) to the FINAL ever! public open house at a local car collection. Seems the owner passed away and his heirs are liquidating his estate. I have heard that the entire collection was sold intact, (and to a local buyer) so hopefully it will appear again somewhere

Cords, Auburns, early 30's Lincolns, similar aged Caddies, Including a V16 Cad!, plus a whole host of others. Packard limo's and Packard roadsters How about a Stutz Firetruck? And, of course, for contrast, a Crosley firetruck, from "Tinytown!"

A mint pebble beach type of restoration on a double overhead cam, supercharged Deusenberg, complete with thermostaticly-operated radiator shutters and headlights that steer along with the front wheels. (Sounds like the latest innovations from the 2014 models, doesn't it?)

Ever hear of a car called the Diana? 4 of them in this collection.

Early Mercedes, early Horch, and many other makes I had not heard of.

The very first "car' ever registered in BC - a Delion-Bouton 3 wheeler

Marmons, a Detroit Electric and a steam car of unidentified make.

My son used my camera and must have taken about 400 shots - now I gotta download them to the computer to see what I have.
Oh yes, Do post pictures please!

Brian
Old 11-14-2013, 05:12 PM

Last journal entry: tools
Last photo:

Wow dude sounds like some good stuff.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Gave blood, went to cardiac rehab, Ate with the gang, (10 of us) and the good news. Won a chain drive garage door opener on Ebay with free shipping for 35 bucks.

I am going to start a thread on turning my bead roller into a powered unit with the garage door opener power head. It is gear reduction reversible 110v a/c. I think it will work well if I gear it right.

Hope you all will enjoy following along. Christine and Tim are coming for the holidays. I hope it is a project he will get a kick out of doing.

John
MARTINSR (11-14-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 11:16 PM

Last photo:

I put my five minutes in (about 15) and removed a reinforcement over the drivers A pillar in anticipation of raking it, tomorrow I hope.

Brian
Old 11-14-2013, 11:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Gave blood, went to cardiac rehab, Ate with the gang, (10 of us) and the good news. Won a chain drive garage door opener on Ebay with free shipping for 35 bucks.

I am going to start a thread on turning my bead roller into a powered unit with the garage door opener power head. It is gear reduction reversible 110v a/c. I think it will work well if I gear it right.

Hope you all will enjoy following along. Christine and Tim are coming for the holidays. I hope it is a project he will get a kick out of doing.

John
You doing ok John?

Brian
Old 11-15-2013, 08:21 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
You doing ok John?

Brian
Oh yes. Doing great. I had a mild heart attack in 2007 and was the recipient of 3 stents but I am fine. Even have a normal EKG. Barb and I just go twice a week to the rehab center at the hospital and work out. LOL, If I am going to have chest pains what better place than the hospital. As far as I know, I am 100% at this time.

Thanks for asking.

John
boothboy (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 02:05 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Well, when I bought this car, it smelled of coolant,so it was a tiny leak but wasn't loosing enough coolant to really bother.. but the other day the defrost wouldn't unfog the windows as they were getting a light coat of coolant, so couldn't put it off any longer..
In this car it's mighty easy, you remove the windshield washer bottle, the jack and donut(spare) a little plastic thing that holds the sunroof glass and air deflector, a few wires ,a relay, the hoses and unbolt the cover from outside the cabin, under what would be a engine compartment in most cars.
and then undo one bolt... As you can see at the bottom of core all the pine needles, there was more, so I removed the cowl vent screen and there was an older mouse "home" made mostly of the jute padding that's under the dash. no wonder the air flow sucked, it blows like a banshee now
008 by newenglandracefan@gmail.com, on Flickr
Found out while doing this that there is a light under the hood

009 by newenglandracefan@gmail.com, on Flickr
Mighty big core for a tiny car

010 by newenglandracefan@gmail.com, on Flickr
The green should stay in the inside,

011 by newenglandracefan@gmail.com, on Flickr
New core made in Mex-i-co, better than china

013 by newenglandracefan@gmail.com, on Flickr

Part # for non a/c cars

015 by newenglandracefan@gmail.com, on Flickr
When I ordered it .. :be:
:an:

016 by newenglandracefan@gmail.com, on Flickr
Yup looks like it's the one.

017 by newenglandracefan@gmail.com, on Flickr
All back together , I cleaned it up a tad while I was there..

018 by newenglandracefan@gmail.com, on Flickr

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.