The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 387 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Today I spent more time than I care to admit making the reinforcements for the fourth row body mounts. I am anxious to get some of these pieces welded in but it will have to wait for another day.

Still, Had a good day

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
tech69 (11-21-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 06:38 PM

Last photo:

John you do awsome work. I wish I had the patience..

Today I repaired a Northstar engine. Assembled a mild aluminum head 355 for a 70's vette. Valve job an a pr of GM 3.8 heads. No Studebaker work again!!
The Following User Says Thank You to BOBCRMAN@aol.com For This Useful Post:
John long (11-20-2013)
Old 11-20-2013, 11:15 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,081 Times in 964 Posts
I got out there and got the drivers A pillar bent out. Hopefully I can get the bottom back tomorrow and it will be on it's way!

Brian

Old 11-20-2013, 11:46 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

did you use heat?

my day sucked. This ford fusion is a fricken disaster. The rear door took a decent hit but nothing that would warrant a skin or anything and it bent the door striker a tad and ruined the latch. I think it's just a cheap latch. I tried to spread the outside metal of the latch away from the part that latches and that helped a little but it just doesn't open like the rest of the doors, and since it's Ford it doesn't have to open up like a Lexus door, just crappy like the rest of the doors. I've never had to change a latch over a hit so light. We have decided to leave the handles in and tape them in the open position. Only thing, in order to gain access to the fricken handle to begin with I had to move the front door latch(not the broken rear one) and in doing so you have to unclip this big pointless piece of plastic wrapped around it from the big door handle "reinforcement" and when you do that you have to clear a tab and tilt it, doing this unhooks the cable to the handle/latch, which connects in the FRONT! Now I HAVE to find a way to take this handle off cause now the outside handle doesn't work and you can't put it back on without removing the handle. Keep in mind, I have never, not once, have been stumped on part removal after doing so many. This is flat out a horrible design. The Japanese cars will ALWAYS have something that you may have to look at for a couple minutes but you will figure it out. The ONLY Japanese car I ever had trouble with was the old Honda C clips on the lock cylinder, but everyone goes thru that at least once. In the end I will chalk it up as being like another Honda C clip handle but this is it for me with Ford. I will always speak honestly about their crappy cars. Sorry for the rant. these hybrids are headaches. The old man left the door open over night and it killed the battery on the lexus. Brand new car! Won't even take a slow charge. Never had that problem with conventional cars unless the battery was on it's way out anyways. This one was brand new. It's a brand new car!

everytime you open a door a million lights go on and the screen boots up. Technology really needs to focus on where it's needed as opposed to where it's not.

Last edited by tech69; 11-20-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:18 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
John you do awsome work. I wish I had the patience..

Today I repaired a Northstar engine. Assembled a mild aluminum head 355 for a 70's vette. Valve job an a pr of GM 3.8 heads. No Studebaker work again!!
If you do work on those norstars you certainly will have plenty of work.How long does it take to change a starter? LOL
Old 11-21-2013, 08:12 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Spent the day at my buddy's house again. Still working on his '69 Nova A/FX clone. Built up the upper crossmember for the top shock mount, and got it installed in the car. We also decided to pull the engine to do clean up/paint, and make it easier to clean the engine bay. While it's out we're going to fit the new flywheel and clutch assembly. A detour from the nostalgia theme is he's putting in a T56 6 speed behind the full roller 350 Chevy. We have to figure out how it will all adapt to the engine, and fit. Never played with a T56, so it's new territory for us.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:51 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

My z28 has a six speed it sits at about a 30 degree angle (rotation ) don't know if that will be a problem with shifter or not,
Old 11-21-2013, 08:53 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Today I spent more time than I care to admit making the reinforcements for the fourth row body mounts. I am anxious to get some of these pieces welded in but it will have to wait for another day.

Still, Had a good day

John

that's one of the pieces you built? Nice. Can't even see the weld seams.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:06 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
My z28 has a six speed it sits at about a 30 degree angle (rotation ) don't know if that will be a problem with shifter or not,
No 30 degree angle on this one. It came out of a '95 Camaro with LT-1 SBC, and I helped pull it, so I saw it sitting straight up, not canted like some were. Biggest issue I saw was we fought to get the clutch fork and throwout bearing apart as we tried to pull the trans. Need to find some info on the internet to see how it all slides together on assembly, or we'll be scratching our heads when we try it.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
that's one of the pieces you built? Nice. Can't even see the weld seams.
I wish I could say I built it Henry but no. The fourth row were a gift as described in my rust repair thread. I get no credit here. They are EMS brand.

John
Old 11-21-2013, 09:24 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I wish I could say I built it Henry but no. The fourth row were a gift as described in my rust repair thread. I get no credit here. They are EMS brand.

John
yeah, that would be incredible to do that. The more I read the more I want a tig to get a taste of the softer welds.

Love your coping skills on this huge project. As DB said, you have a lot more patience than me.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
yeah, that would be incredible to do that. The more I read the more I want a tig to get a taste of the softer welds.

Love your coping skills on this huge project. As DB said, you have a lot more patience than me.
LOL. That will be my legacy Henry. When I am dead and gone all my friends will say "Well, he had great coping skills."

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
tech69 (11-21-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 01:49 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

my week got a lot better. I did all the repairs on the Ford Fusion and worked around the door handles to put it off til later and not waste too much time on it...and we know how that goes. Guess what I was trying to do on the internet last night? Anyhow, I get to work and tell him to call a Ford dealership with it's own body shop. Harrold Ford put us thru to a tech who said you have to pull on the handle WHILE loosening the torx in the jamb, the same torx to take off the lock cylinder. He said about 9 turns should do it. So I tried it and NOTHING. Then for the hell of it I tried it on the rear(door with bad latch) and nothing. But this time the door stopped opening alltogether, so I knew something was fishy cause the latch was somehow related to that torx. I went ahead and re-tightened the torx and tried again and it came out. I think it has to be tightened a certain amount from the starting point of you holding the handle out for the trick to work. Once the handle is out your door won't close anymore so you have to re-tighten the torx and in doing so you will hear the latch mechanism on the handle bracket pop. Just means you have to push it back in when installing the handle. So not only did this handle the situation of the door handles, I also realized the rear latch was just fine and was binding because that stupid torx was too loose. If it's just a hair loose it will open like there's a problem.

So I was wrong but in a sense it still is not a very good design. I know this handle will/has given plenty of techs headaches trying to figure it out. You wouldn't think it's the torx in the jamb from the get go because you are taught NOT to loosen that bolt very much to normally get the lock cylinder/lock cover or else you can open up a can of worms. When the old man comes in he's gonna get a good laugh. We were scratching our heads over it for like an hour yesterday.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,081 Times in 964 Posts
That's the thing, they aren't designed to be easy to figure out during a repair, they are designed for easy assembly. Their techs know how to do it at the dealership, that's all that matters. It's our job to figure out, like I said "How did they install this at the factory", that is the trick to figuring it out.

The VW has a very similar handle. You unscrew the torx thru a hole in the door while the handle is out. What you are doing is rotating a ring that holds the lock cyl or on a door without one, the little piece that goes where the cyl does. Once you get that torx unscrewed, the cyl (or dummy) comes out and the handle then stays out like that. You pull back on the handle sliding it into the hole where the cyl goes and the handle comes out no problem. Now, if you were to screw that torx back in at that point.......the ring will turn and fall off inside the door! The cyl is what holds it when it rotates! So, now you have it in the bottom of the door and you have to remove the window, then the whole regulator assy to get to that ring and re-install it as there are no access holes in the door!

I didn't have to learn that myself, I saw someone else do it. That is all I needed to figure it out myself to never let it happen. You can't believe how many guys (or the same guy a number of times) not do what I tell them, and they end up loosing the ring inside the door! LOL. The other day I looked up on ALLDATA to show them how VW says to do it, they explained it just as I just did to you and even said "Do not turn screw after removing cyl as the retaining ring will fall down into door". LOLOL No kidding it said it just like that, funny stuff.

But honestly, is it weird, yes, but it's simply a different design. Not every woman works the same way either.

Brian
Old 11-21-2013, 04:59 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Not every woman works the same way either.

Brian
Someone said just a couple of days ago that it was not important to a woman to be happy. They were only concerned about the quest for happiness.

There might be some truth in that.

John

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.