Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#7,741 ·
I wish someone had told me about these wheels smelling when you sand them. I dremeled it last night and glued it. Today at work I smelled burnt rubber in my truck. On site I smelled burnt rubber. Everywhere I smelled burnt rubber. I clued in just before lunch it was my jacket, plus maybe my boots.

I ran home at lunch and showered and changed clothes and tossed on an old pair of work boots. Man I stunk!

I sanded the glue and spot puttied it. Should be like new soon!
LOL, but how does the wheel look?

Brian

#7,743 ·
Tonight I worked late, but still got my axle bubble wrapped up.

I am not kidding you, this is the most cuddly axle I have ever seen.

I also got my NOS rare tissue dispensor stereo cover installed in the Rambler. Sorry for the blurry shot. :drunk:

Brian

#7,744 ·
Come to think of it, one of the neighbours when I was a kid had one of those ramblers, but, it was the only car he ever owned. My parents lived across from the rambler for 50 yrs and you know, it was the only car he owned. His kids sold it when he past away. It just came to me. He drove it almost everyday too.

#7,746 ·
Been busy looking at the front of the cowl and floor area........

And thinking about what to do next.....

So I thunk up the idea of cutting off the two cowl braces.

Then I thunk that I could get some more foot space in there. Looks like an inch and a half on each side.......

#7,749 ·
I am rewiring my trailor lights on my new to me trailor they are to short to reach my plug in with the hitch I have,,that is about all I can do for next 10 days the doctor has my head wrapped up like a mummy.when this side heals then I have to do surgery on the other side ,10 more days :evil::evil:

#7,750 ·
I am rewiring my trailor lights on my new to me trailor they are to short to reach my plug in with the hitch I have,,that is about all I can do for next 10 days the doctor has my head wrapped up like a mummy.when this side heals then I have to do surgery on the other side ,10 more days :evil::evil:
Hang in there David. I know you are sick and tired of being sick and tired. You will get through this though.

I wish I had a couple of you body guys here. I felt like I needed to make this thing as square as possible before I moved on to the trunk floor.

As I had posted earlier that this thing had been tagged in the right rear. I don't own a Porta-Power but my spring spreader and I spent some time together along with some hammers and dollies. The left side is fair and the right side is better but I think this is bout the best I can do until I have some structure back here to anchor to. From the axle back is still just flopping as you can see.

John

#7,752 ·
Damn that sucks, do take it easy, it's not worth it to mess with your health. I just had some tests done and Tuesday I was told I am "pre-diabetic". As the doctor was telling me all the stuff I need to change I made it clear to her that she doesn't have to tell me twice. I am a foodie like you can't believe, but I will stop eating everything but tofu is that is what is needed, I have been walking every night, this life is too precious!

Brian

Reactions: 496CHEVY3100
#7,753 ·
geez, the boss tells me a new painter is coming in next week to alleviate some pressure on the body side so this week he's just pushing me to the max to try to get out as much as possible before he has to pay more for it to be done next week. Frustrating. He didn't get nearly this much production out of the old painter and the work looks better and is better for a lot less. I need a raise.:p

#7,754 ·
Awesome repair John, hey, while you are at it,you should fix some of that rust huh?

Brian
If you look more closely Brian you will see it is a brown car. It just looks like rust.:D:nono::mwink::):p

John

The truth is, I thought maybe Tim and I would have a chance to make the rear inner quarter panel and the tail pan below the deck lid this weekend. That would be fairly clean work and fulfill a bit of a creative urge. It would be good to have them waiting. I am going to buy a rear splash apron.

There is way too much work to do to get it ready in slip the trunk floor in.

#7,755 ·
Hang in there David. I know you are sick and tired of being sick and tired. You will get through this though.

I wish I had a couple of you body guys here. I felt like I needed to make this thing as square as possible before I moved on to the trunk floor.

As I had posted earlier that this thing had been tagged in the right rear. I don't own a Porta-Power but my spring spreader and I spent some time together along with some hammers and dollies. The left side is fair and the right side is better but I think this is bout the best I can do until I have some structure back here to anchor to. From the axle back is still just flopping as you can see.

John

have a porta power you can use any time you want it ,for as long as you want ,

#7,757 ·
Don't think I posted it yet ,if so ignore it. I did work some Saturday and a little while Sunday on my interior panels
finished console just have to cover it now ,also finished my kick paneld door panels and headliner now just trying different ideas for arm rest ,a friend of mine makes some really nice ones from wood then covers them with same material as door panels .I might go that route

Attachments

#7,758 ·
Well Brian said I should fix the rust. I had not noticed there was any until he pointed it out but I am OK. Just a little dissapointed. :mwink:

I went ahead and pulled the bumper, splash apron, and tail pan.

Actually when I dropped the bumper the splash apron fell off. :drunk:

The splash apron would be pretty hard to reproduce. A reproduction is in order but I believe there is enough left of the tail pan that I can get a good pattern and make it.

#7,759 ·
Don't think I posted it yet ,if so ignore it. I did work some Saturday and a little while Sunday on my interior panels
finished console just have to cover it now ,also finished my kick paneld door panels and headliner now just trying different ideas for arm rest ,a friend of mine makes some really nice ones from wood then covers them with same material as door panels .I might go that route
Only you can decide but I like the last one with the small arm rest. My personal taste only of course.

It is good to see you are making progress. :thumbup:

Keep the pictures coming David.

John