Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#7,763 ·
On a serious note one of the things I like to do when I make door panels, kick panels etc is to take clear plastic like you would buy at a Walmart fabric dept to cover a picnik table. Probably 5 mils thick or so. (similar to convertible window material). It is about 4 dollars per linear yard.

I spray that lightly with contact adhesive. Only the material. Let it dry. What you will have is a clear piece of material that you can see through and it will stick lightly to your door, kick panel underside of deck lid, etc.

Once you have it stuck on the panel and smoothed, mark everything with a sharpie. That includes the door handle shafts, the door panel clip holes, the outer edges of the patterns..EVERYTHING!

Now peal the clear material off the door and stick it to the door panel material and now you have a perfect pattern with everything clearly marked.

Cut it out....Your done. :thumbup:

John

#7,764 ·
I already have the clips ,I put temporary screws in the door panel to hold it in place until I get it trimed to fit ,I will put the clips in the panel then glue a thinner piece over top of the white panel so the clips don't show thru after I get the pattern sewn into the foam backed leather ( glued on )I will then glue it to the panel and snap it in place,, but the panel board has a thin clear piece of plastic that is coming off so I thought I might need to remove it ,I think it might just be a protetiive sheet to help keep it clean, ???

The part with the writing on it .
notice the photo above the kick panel has clear removed ,the door panel with righting still has clear ,notice color difference

#7,765 · (Edited)
what a day. Sprayed the top half of the Kia raw bumper, prepped the lower half, prepped and repaired, the cladding, did some polishing, and then tinted for a good hour or two. No formula for the F9 paint code so I had to use a chip and even though it was the closest one, it was off by a mile. Only one spray out with clear w/ 25% flattener, which told me 35-40% would be much closer, but the problem was the basecoat, so I sprayed a bunch more with just base. I definitely picked the right chip but had to darken it a lot and in doing so it killed the brown in it, which was just a pearl, so I had to add a bunch of black in small doses and then pearl to offet the black killing it. Boss wants me to do one more spray out and just spray it. When I got into work he thought I was going to spray the top half of a white bumper(and prep it), then do the lower half along with the cladding(and prep them), take the door off a Jetta, prime the Jetta, prep the jetta, and paint the jetta. I mean really, get a clue dude????

Geez, all this talk about doing everything exactly the same on a spray out. I say just spray it with the same strokes! I didn't even let it flash. I just sprayed it non stop til it was covered, used a hair dryer, and was checking the color in no time. I think the skill in color matching comes from color matching, not being overly anal. Just my 2 cents. I'll be overly anal about keeping dirt out of the paint and flash times.

#7,766 ·
I already have the clips ,I put temporary screws in the door panel to hold it in place until I get it trimed to fit ,I will put the clips in the panel then glue a thinner piece over top of the white panel so the clips don't show thru after I get the pattern sewn into the foam backed leather ( glued on )I will then glue it to the panel and snap it in place,, but the panel board has a thin clear piece of plastic that is coming off so I thought I might need to remove it ,I think it might just be a protetiive sheet to help keep it clean, ???

The part with the writing on it .
notice the photo above the kick panel has clear removed ,the door panel with righting still has clear ,notice color difference
Hmmm, The panel I got did not have the plastic. I am sorry, I forgot it was there. Yes take it off. you want the glue to be directly on the PVC.

I think the fellow told me they had started adding the protective coating and I completely forgot about it.

John

#7,768 ·
Don't think I posted it yet ,if so ignore it. I did work some Saturday and a little while Sunday on my interior panels
finished console just have to cover it now ,also finished my kick paneld door panels and headliner now just trying different ideas for arm rest ,a friend of mine makes some really nice ones from wood then covers them with same material as door panels .I might go that route
Your doors fit and look so nice. Where is your tags? I don't seeze no tags. You steal that truck? hahahahaha. I have a spare set I can send you.

I wonder if Johns home made porta power would work in my truck. Some darn how I am out 5/16 on a bottom hinge. I am not sure what to do, tweak the hinge, I am worried the cab still out that 5/16. Bend the hinge or open the holes? LOL……. I won't have any holes left if I open them 5/16.

One custom hinge coming up. 5/16 just happens to be the size of that pesky bad pin I found.

Attachments

#7,770 ·
Damn that sucks, do take it easy, it's not worth it to mess with your health. I just had some tests done and Tuesday I was told I am "pre-diabetic". As the doctor was telling me all the stuff I need to change I made it clear to her that she doesn't have to tell me twice. I am a foodie like you can't believe, but I will stop eating everything but tofu is that is what is needed, I have been walking every night, this life is too precious!

Brian
I have ben an insulin dependent Diabetic since 1980 pills before that ,,so you can live almost a normal life with it ,just kinda watch what you eat,:D

#7,771 ·
Your doors fit and look so nice. Where is your tags? I don't seeze no tags. You steal that truck? hahahahaha. I have a spare set I can send you.

I wonder if Johns home made porta power would work in my truck. Some darn how I am out 5/16 on a bottom hinge. I am not sure what to do, tweak the hinge, I am worried the cab still out that 5/16. Bend the hinge or open the holes? LOL……. I won't have any holes left if I open them 5/16.

One custom hinge coming up. 5/16 just happens to be the size of that pesky bad pin I found.

I had a new set made and will not put them on until I get finished ,when I get thru I have to have Sherriff to come and inspect it and the old plate to make sure they match before I install the new one ,,it MUST be complete before they will inspect it .

#7,772 ·
Holy, I have plates for mine already. All I had was a handwritten note that said * one old truck* for a bill of sale. I could have put any one of three sets of tags on it. No questions. Just as long as the number I used wasn't on a hot list.

I had way more trouble getting plates for my new GMC than the old one. Brand spanking new is a problem here.

I am sure I need a notary republic to change the speed o though, or a bailiff.

#7,773 ·
On a serious note one of the things I like to do when I make door panels, kick panels etc is to take clear plastic like you would buy at a Walmart fabric dept to cover a picnik table. Probably 5 mils thick or so. (similar to convertible window material). It is about 4 dollars per linear yard.

I spray that lightly with contact adhesive. Only the material. Let it dry. What you will have is a clear piece of material that you can see through and it will stick lightly to your door, kick panel underside of deck lid, etc.

Once you have it stuck on the panel and smoothed, mark everything with a sharpie. That includes the door handle shafts, the door panel clip holes, the outer edges of the patterns..EVERYTHING!

Now peal the clear material off the door and stick it to the door panel material and now you have a perfect pattern with everything clearly marked.

Cut it out....Your done. :thumbup:

John

I like this idea. :thumbup::thumbup:

#7,775 ·

Didn't you replace those bent hinges with new (straight) ones ????

#7,776 ·
You should do yourself a big favor and get a REAL crapper,Puggs that hollow stump is doing weird things to your skin tone....
That's what happens when you get old and have to grunt so hard for any action to begin. You turn red followed by a nice shade of green. :thumbup:

#7,779 ·
Nothing got done in my garage. I went to a meeting last night with a speaker talking about the autobody industry and where it's headed. It was damn interesting, good meal, some good conversation. :thumbup:

Brian