The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 407 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
But even with a Tig, can the heated area be controlled as well as with the torch and can it be used without filler rod ??

There's NO WAY you could do this with a Mig, which is why we are all so skeptical and curious as to the final outcome.

As for the shrinkage, it's the same theory as in the "Metal Bumping" book. By stretching just the shrunken area back out, the rest that got pulled in with it will return to it's natural shape by itself. The key to that process is recognizing where to shrink and where to stretch...

I would still like to have a Tig for aluminum and stainless welding but it is an expensive tool to use once a year.
This still is an issue but if you don't overstretch to begin with you don't have to worry about it. This is one of the key points with this method, you weld, it shrinks, you stretch it up until it's correct. If you "Hammer weld" you are likely to over stretch one area more than another.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 10:36 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
not sure if that makes sense but it goes against everything I've read about from the very books you suggested. I guess I'd have to try it. I guess that same principle can't be applied with mig? I'd give it a try on something.
You know another thing Henry, the "hammer welding" method has been so ingrained in my brain that I am not sure if I didn't "see" just what I am talking about in those books because of this. The more he explained this stuff to me the more I remember seeing something as he was saying in videos or books. I am not talking what I am telling you exactly now, it's more about controlling the metal, how this is done, I simply don't remember really getting that like I am with his telling me. I know that a lot of these books and videos are made by guys who know how to do the work, that doesn't mean they can "Put the tools in your hands" in the print or video so you REALLY see and feel what they are doing. I know I have seen a lot of how-to write ups that leave a LOT of detail out.

I think the very principles are there, they are just written in a different way so I never saw it.

The way he has told me one on one over lunch it has resinated and made sense.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 12-14-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:38 AM

Last photo:

only work im getting dont today is setting up for djing, and the laser show for the hs dance tonight, i really need to hire somone to help to cut my setup time way down, being a 1 person crew sucks , each subwoofer i have weighs in at just over 300 pounds, for an event of this size i usually bring 6
Old 12-14-2013, 10:46 AM

Last photo:

Yeow! But you know why you do that, you love seeing the people dance and have a good time. Focus on that, not on the work before and after. Tonight will be a blast!

Brian
Old 12-14-2013, 11:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Yeow! But you know why you do that, you love seeing the people dance and have a good time. Focus on that, not on the work before and after. Tonight will be a blast!

Brian
lol sometimes i wonder why i do these smaller events , but anything for the school/township i do and do cheap, pretty much easy brownie points with the township lol

the events i love doing are the larger warehouse partys couple hundred ppl me and 3-5 other djs , thats were i really make money
Old 12-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
This still is an issue but if you don't overstretch to begin with you don't have to worry about it. This is one of the key points with this method, you weld, it shrinks, you stretch it up until it's correct. If you "Hammer weld" you are likely to over stretch one area more than another.

Brian
Your roof looks great amd I am glad this is working out for you but I don't think I will be practicing a one pace system on my 46 inch long door.

John

Quote:
Did '79 Malibus have a manual trans as standard ? If so, get a pedal set up from one of them for the clutch. Otherwise an aftermarket, firewall mounted hydraulic set-up will be needed. The hydraulic t-o bearings are becoming readily available.
They did Mitch but they would be scarcer than hen's teeth. I had a friend with a 3 speed straight shift 6 cylinder but it is the only one I have seen. It was a bare bones Malibu 2 door.

John
Old 12-14-2013, 01:55 PM

Last photo:

A car I was working on yesterday, 1956 Austin Healey 100M

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hpengineprep For This Useful Post:
boothboy (12-14-2013), tech69 (12-14-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 02:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpengineprep View Post
A car I was working on yesterday, 1956 Austin Healey 100M

Yeah, and the rest of the shop too, holy crap what a bunch of cool stuff to get to work on.

Brian
Old 12-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Dimwit

Last journal entry: S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Last photo:

Filling holes with MIG

Here's my work for today. I cut the bracing from the bed floor of the S10 with son's plasma cutter and burned through several spots. I've had fair success filling such holes with a series of tacks from my MIG, backed up with a flattened piece of copper tubing. Here's the progression...
the bed floor showing the burned-through spots

spots prepped for filling
closeup of burned-through spot
first pass of tacks
closeup of tacks filling a spot
tacks after sanding with a 40-grit disk
closeup of sanded tacks
Old 12-14-2013, 03:24 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

awesome cars! WOW!

Today I went to the Santa parade with my daughter. She loved it but got a little too happy about not being pushed around in the stroller so on the walk back from the car I just had my wife wait while I got the car and met them. As we were leaving I saw a sweet tricked out Impala on the side being fixed on the side of the road...just minutes after it was showing off driving by on 3 wheels. lol It was a NICE ride though. The car club it belonged to was called family first. They had some cool Impalas. The parade ended with the Antelope Titans marching band so that was cool. I'm hoping it's the high school my daughter goes to. Time for some me time and will go down the block and play some hoops.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:02 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I tried out my new plasma cutter today...All I can say is WOW!!!!I would've had one years ago if I ever tried one out...I bought it to burn out spot welds insted of drilling because the car I'm working on has some steel that just burns up bits and sawzall blades...It so fast its almost TOO fast.I can burn out about fifty welds in the time it takes to drill out one...since I never used one before I was playing around a little and found out I didnt have to burn a hole all the way through if I turned down the current to about 13 amps and turned down the air pressure it will only burn one layer of steel at a time just like a spotweld drill does. I replacing the side of this car inner structure and all...what took two of us all day only took me two hours to do all by myself...I'm still getting used to it but when I get it dialed in watch out...worth every penny....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9005.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	1,003.1 KB
ID:	105226   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9006.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	105234   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9012.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	105242  
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (12-15-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 04:18 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

after burning all the welds I seperated the cosmetic outer skin from the inner structure you can see how the plasma cutter burned through the outter skin leaving the inner structure without a holejust a nice clean spot to weld too when its back together...If I didnt mention it before this is an awesome tool.Anybody want to buy a chop saw ,sawzalls,or complete set of torches????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9013.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	1,008.7 KB
ID:	105250   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9014.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	105258   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9015.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	105266  
Old 12-14-2013, 04:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I tried out my new plasma cutter today...All I can say is WOW!!!!I would've had one years ago if I ever tried one out...I bought it to burn out spot welds insted of drilling because the car I'm working on has some steel that just burns up bits and sawzall blades...It so fast its almost TOO fast.I can burn out about fifty welds in the time it takes to drill out one...since I never used one before I was playing around a little and found out I didnt have to burn a hole all the way through if I turned down the current to about 13 amps and turned down the air pressure it will only burn one layer of steel at a time just like a spotweld drill does. I replacing the side of this car inner structure and all...what took two of us all day only took me two hours to do all by myself...I'm still getting used to it but when I get it dialed in watch out...worth every penny....
Like I said before,, Many of your tools will now stay in the box.. After you learn the tricks. You will wonder how you got along without it.. My cheapy c-50 made me a believer years ago and yes the cheapies will cut 1/2" steel. The next larger will sever 5/8" not quite as pretty of a cut but doesn't overheat your stock.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:49 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
.....isn't it fun when a tool works like magic .....

I have a magnetic-induction tool that heats seized bolts and nuts with the push of a button instead of a flame and it feels like cheating...
Old 12-14-2013, 06:00 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,096 Posts
Quote:
.....isn't it fun when a tool works like magic .....

I have a magnetic-induction tool that heats seized bolts and nuts with the push of a button instead of a flame and it feels like cheating...
I have never heard of that! That is cool! BTW that is cheating.

John

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.