The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 444 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2014, 12:17 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,327 Times in 1,151 Posts
I worked a long hard day today so I literally only put in my 5 minutes but what the heck, it was better than not doing anything at all.

I studied the top of the passenger door to figure out where to cut it for angling the B pillar in and the A pillar in and back. I have came to the conclusion that I will need to cut the front one clean off and grind it to bring it back where I need it to be.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2014, 07:26 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Looking awesome! I am amazed at how different that color looks if the sun is behind the camera or in front of it, very interesting.

Brian
The sun is to my back,this color has major color chandes with different light ,at night is the most dramatic it is almost Hugger Orange at night ,to a Bright red in the shade
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	53 firewall 002.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	113369   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	113401  
Old 01-17-2014, 08:00 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Got my truck put together today and now I have to start in the interior ,not looking forward to that .as I have never ran a sewing machine.
Sorry to hear about your wife David! The truck looks spectacular! Love the choice of Cragar wheels on it too!
The Following User Says Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 06:30 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

What did I WORK on? Nuthin.

Spent some time watching the Barrett Jackon auction and cursing about the way it is covered.

They show one or two rides being auctioned and then cut to a replay of the same commercials they just showed couple of minutes ago.

Then they go back and list the zillion or so cars that were auctioned off while the comercials were on - then they show 2 or 3 more cars on the block and then - you guessed it - cut to another lengthy commercial break.

Suggestion for the networks: Instead of selling eleventeen thousand commercial slots at a couple of thou each - why not sell a lot FEWER spots at 100,000 each. Same exposure for the advertisers and a lot less chance of people shutting it off and walking away in frustration.

Just a thot.....

(and yes, I did shut it off in frustration!)

End of rant
Old 01-17-2014, 06:43 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Went back to NAPA and bought new pulleys for both the A/C and serp belt tensioners. They were both dry and sounded metallic when spun by hand. Also replaced the A/C belt this time. All I heard when I started it was quiet....no more squeaks or rattles...

So, both belts and pulleys are new. New oil, filter and grease.

Then I dropped the trans pan to change that filter. I was relieved to see it was clean. No evidence of impending failure from the old fluid.
Dumped 4 more fresh quarts in. I will drive it to work Monday and then pull the plug 1 more time and refill with fresh. That should exchange most of the old fluid out.

Checked the lube level in both diffs and they are good.

I am confidant it will be great for the trip to Denver next week.

NOW, I just got done registering for the Goodguys Nashville Nationals in May...

I'm gonna go pester Mr. John...
Old 01-17-2014, 06:51 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Ya gonna check coolant, too? I always think that checking hoses and a flush & fill with fresh coolant is a good plan before I take a zillion-mile road trip - helps avoid the old "sitting beside the road" thing and gives me peace of mind.

Just one more "thot": when did you last flush & refill the brake fluid?

Dark fluid is NOT dirt - it is the result of moisture in the fluid which = rust in lines and cylinders
Old 01-17-2014, 07:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
Ya gonna check coolant, too? I always think that checking hoses and a flush & fill with fresh coolant is a good plan before I take a zillion-mile road trip - helps avoid the old "sitting beside the road" thing and gives me peace of mind.

Just one more "thot": when did you last flush & refill the brake fluid?

Dark fluid is NOT dirt - it is the result of moisture in the fluid which = rust in lines and cylinders
Oh yes, had a good look at all the hoses and coolant level. It got new coolant 2 years ago when I had to backflush the heater core because it plugged up.

Did rear brakes a couple months ago....discs, pads and calipers. Bled clean right from the start.

Also checked and balanced the air in all the tires...uh oh, I forgot to check the spare. Dang, better make sure that isn't low.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:01 PM

Last photo:

I haven't done jack today, but check out this AWESOME build over on another site I visit.
Big Bertha Build thread x2 - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Brian

The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
boothboy (01-18-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 07:16 PM

Last photo:

Pulled the seat back, dash harness and part of the floor out of the 32.
Getting ready to pull the firewall to weld up all the extra holes and paint the firewall before I install the new wiring harness.
Lots to do before spring arrives!
Old 01-17-2014, 08:31 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I haven't done jack today, but check out this AWESOME build over on another site I visit.
Big Bertha Build thread x2 - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Brian

Some guys are so gifted at the big picture. And focused. Good reading, and viewing.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:22 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,612 Times in 1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Went back to NAPA and bought new pulleys for both the A/C and serp belt tensioners. They were both dry and sounded metallic when spun by hand. Also replaced the A/C belt this time. All I heard when I started it was quiet....no more squeaks or rattles...

So, both belts and pulleys are new. New oil, filter and grease.

Then I dropped the trans pan to change that filter. I was relieved to see it was clean. No evidence of impending failure from the old fluid.
Dumped 4 more fresh quarts in. I will drive it to work Monday and then pull the plug 1 more time and refill with fresh. That should exchange most of the old fluid out.

Checked the lube level in both diffs and they are good.

I am confidant it will be great for the trip to Denver next week.

NOW, I just got done registering for the Goodguys Nashville Nationals in May...

I'm gonna go pester Mr. John...
ALL RIGHT! Just read this. That is fantastic news. I will make sure there is something cold to drink in the cooler. Tim will be excited too.

John

I spent a good deal of time today cleaning undercoating, rust and paint off the area I am working on. Also had to remove the old flanges and tabs that were left over from the old floor pan. Then, my shrinker/stretchers quit shrinking so I had to take them apart and clean the serrated teeth and lubricate them.

Bottom line is I spent more time doing dirty prep work than being creative. Progress may be slow but it does exist.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:41 PM

Last photo:

That panel is so damn cool it's crazy John!

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
ALL RIGHT! Just read this. That is fantastic news. I will make sure there is something cold to drink in the cooler. Tim will be excited too.

All you need in the cooler for me is Barq's Root Beer. Gave up the barley pop many years ago.

I had to laugh at the tools you use to get the panel leveled in position. Looks like a hammer handle, a chisel and putty knife.
I use what ever is handy and works too... Panel is looking good..

We'll communicate about where to meet up and park when it gets closer. I am reserving a camping space at Two Rivers for the trailer too and wanted to get it all set up before things filled up. Registration number is only 579, so I guess I'm early enough.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
All you need in the cooler for me is Barq's Root Beer. Gave up the barley pop many years ago.

I had to laugh at the tools you use to get the panel leveled in position. Looks like a hammer handle, a chisel and putty knife.

We'll communicate about where to meet up and park when it gets closer. I am reserving a camping space at Two Rivers for the trailer too and wanted to get it all set up before things filled up. Registration number is only 579, so I guess I'm early enough.
Sounds good. I may drink a Fat Tire or Blue Moon or 2 but I promise, you won't have to hang around with a bunch of drunks. Those days are gone for me too.

We used to hang around the headquarter motel while everyone came in to register but they changed a couple of years ago and started registering at the stadium.

You will like the Stadium. There are lots of trees and always a good shady place to relax. Tim has a 10 X 10 pop up as well so we get to enjoy the day and just chill out. I believe you will be glad you came if the drive is not too much for you. We will talk more as the time draws near.

I wonder if David is thinking about going?

John
Old 01-17-2014, 10:26 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
All you need in the cooler for me is Barq's Root Beer.

And a block of wood and a pair of vice grips. They tell me nothing succeeds like success..........

I actually tried to get it level enough that the picture did not look all funky. Still lots of "tweaking" to do but I do believe it will work out well enough.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (01-17-2014)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.