The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 467 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2014, 04:53 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
for my bead roller I went to the hardware store and picked up some shim washers that fit the shaft where the dies go on. that way you can get different shapes from the same dies. like the step dies will give a less crisp edge over a wider area if that is what you are after. just pick up some scrap at the scrap dealer or use an old fridge door to practice on. I also made up a new die from a grade 8 washer and ahub for a weld on sprocket. welded the washer on where the sprocket should go, then spun the whole thing in the drill press and took the edge off the washer with a file to get a contour for a tipping die. use a skate board wheel under it or the flat part of the step die. just goof around till you get what you want.
have fun and check the clock every once in awhile, otherwise you come in the house and everybody else has gone to bed long time before.
haha
dennis
the stepping dies are awesome and have already planned on getting washers! I have a weird issue with the shafts though. Is this normal? The bolt doesn't even hold the bottom die on there. Seems like a defect but not sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000814.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	118393   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000815.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	118401  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 05:01 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
the stepping dies are awesome and have already planned on getting washers! I have a weird issue with the shafts though. Is this normal? The bolt doesn't even hold the bottom die on there. Seems like a defect but not sure.
Looks like you need a good assortment of spacers.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:51 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

on the shafts where the stepped areas are(where the dies rest) it seems like they have to be even in order for the gaps to be even on the female bead dies to the male dies. So I think I got that part right but the shaft ends seem too long. Are they supposed to be the same length as the upper?
Old 02-02-2014, 06:02 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace
Last photo:

Bad luck weekend was right. I got my hinges re drilled for the new pins and stopped work today. Everything I looked at went sour. Lost my door remote for the garage, made 3 trips for wiper blades after one blew off the coly. The third trip i just changed it in the parking lot. I should have done that the first trip. My primer inside my doors flashed off 16 hours late in the middle of the night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1930.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	118409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1919.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	118417  
Old 02-02-2014, 07:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
on the shafts where the stepped areas are(where the dies rest) it seems like they have to be even in order for the gaps to be even on the female bead dies to the male dies. So I think I got that part right but the shaft ends seem too long. Are they supposed to be the same length as the upper?
Is there any adjustment in them at the rear? Maybe the bottom can slide back somehow?
If so, then you would add more spacers behind the die.

If not, say the heck with it, and add some spacers in front of the die so you can tighten the bolt.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,096 Posts
Like dsraven, I bought some 1/16 in shims from my local Ace Hardware. They were 45 cents a piece and can be placed in front or behind the dies to get exactly the spacing you need. EZ fix and opens up other possibilities for the profiles you can make.

My shafts are 22 mm but 7/8 shims work perfectly.

John
Old 02-02-2014, 07:34 PM

Last photo:

if you bought an el cheapo deluxe roller like i did you will need to go through all the set screws on the gears etc to make sure they are all tight. that is when i set the spacing on my roller so the shafts line up on the inboard end. if the shafts are a little too long the add some spacers but at least the inboard part is the same so the dies are centred on themselves. do yourself a favour and add the little spring to help lift the shafts up when you relieve the pressure, it just makes life easier if you are doing it all by yourself like me. i used a spring from the hardware store, a valve spring retainer from a motorcycle on the top then adjust it as required for tension.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:44 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

thanks guys! I think I will push the bottom shaft back so the washers are on the inner part of the shaft and so I don't have to worry about taking them on and off every time I switch dies. Man, it's a lot of fun playing with this thing.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:48 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
if you bought an el cheapo deluxe roller like i did you will need to go through all the set screws on the gears etc to make sure they are all tight. that is when i set the spacing on my roller so the shafts line up on the inboard end. if the shafts are a little too long the add some spacers but at least the inboard part is the same so the dies are centred on themselves. do yourself a favour and add the little spring to help lift the shafts up when you relieve the pressure, it just makes life easier if you are doing it all by yourself like me. i used a spring from the hardware store, a valve spring retainer from a motorcycle on the top then adjust it as required for tension.
Also take a few minutes and drill the bearing blocks and install some zerk fittings. They will become gaulded in no time if you don't.

John
Old 02-02-2014, 07:55 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Also take a few minutes and drill the bearing blocks and install some zerk fittings. They will become gaulded in no time if you don't.

John
I got the Woodward fab one because it has them already. Thanks for the washer sizes. Will head out there tonight to get some.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
I got the Woodward fab one because it has them already. Thanks for the washer sizes. Will head out there tonight to get some.
Careful, The sizes I gave were for the HF. May be different for the Woodward Fab model.

John
Old 02-03-2014, 04:13 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanLT1 View Post
Well, yesterday I thought I might luck out on my dash and only have to repair the black areas and re-clear but further inspection today showed a crack that of course is in the orange. So, looks like a complete redo is in order.
I set the dash in the car anyway to see what should have been this weekend
I also installed the carpet.

Ed
still, it looks fantastic
Old 02-03-2014, 08:24 AM

Last photo:

hey, tech69, i just thought of something. check the shaft on the roller to make sure it didn't get installed backwards. maybe if you swap it end for end the machined area will be the same length as the other one and will match up. I think mine had more area machined on the end where the gears are. is yours a powered model or hand crank? crank is good for control but it sure is nice to have power if you work alone. it is hard to control the sheet and crank the handle at the same time. that is why i powered mine with a drill.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:37 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

yeah, I quickly realized that about the powered ones. Going slow seems to be the key but a powered one would be awesome. Care to post some pics? I'd love to find an alternative to those $200 motors everyone is putting into them.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:34 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
yeah, I quickly realized that about the powered ones. Going slow seems to be the key but a powered one would be awesome. Care to post some pics? I'd love to find an alternative to those $200 motors everyone is putting into them.
John Long installed a garage door motor on the cheap.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.