The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 468 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
John Long installed a garage door motor on the cheap.
Here is a link to my thread where I powered mine up. Several other guys had some really good posts about how they did theirs too.

John

Converting bead roller to power

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (02-03-2014), NEW INTERIORS (02-03-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

AC-DC power for a bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanLT1 View Post
I'll be, AC current.
The AC current for a bike actually makes sense. In a car, things evolved from battery powered ignitions in the days of Model T's, and later, when generators were the standard approach, the generators put out DC power.

When car manufacturers switched to alternators, they had to make them compatible with existing (all DC) systems. So diodes and rectifiers were built into the alternator to yield DC power. Early alternators still used the generator's old external voltage regulator systems.

If, however, you are starting with a "'clean sheet of paper" in design, then you have an alternator (putting out - by definition) AC power, and since things like bulbs work just as well on AC as on DC, so...

On many bikes, the alternator is part of the flywheel and a rectifier actually just cuts off the "other side of" an alternator's AC output (sending it to ground) - effectively cutting the total output in half.

So if you use ALL of the alternator output for lights and only run the stuff that really NEEDS to be DC through a rectifier, you can cut down the size of the alternator, eliminate most of the rectifier load (and reduce the size of the - now external- rectifier, too) and reduce costs in manufacturing, and simplify engineering.

Now if only they had actually made that feature clear in manuals etc. ...

Result: Headlights, taillights etc are MUCH brighter on AC (they get twice the power). Only turn signals (which need a DC flasher to function) need to go through a rectified system. Much less overall power is needed to run everything.

Wonder how much simplification could have occurred in cars if such an approach had been followed!

Maybe I should put this into the "electrical" section of this site....(?)
Old 02-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Worked on my interior some today installed carpet and made some sill plates not bolted down yet ,should have removed the safety tape before photo ,,I am very slow at this as it is my first interior other than just bolting in replacement pieces,

second photo was 1st attempt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	53 CHEVY SEATS 002.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	960.1 KB
ID:	118785   Click image for larger version

Name:	CARPET 001.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	686.0 KB
ID:	118793  
Old 02-03-2014, 05:14 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Is there any adjustment in them at the rear? Maybe the bottom can slide back somehow?
If so, then you would add more spacers behind the die.

If not, say the heck with it, and add some spacers in front of the die so you can tighten the bolt.
There should be some set screws in the gears That'll allow you to slide the shafts back and forth ,same set screws in the roller dies ,the bolt at the end of the shaft keep the roller from falling off the set screws hold it in place...
Old 02-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Worked on my interior some today installed carpet and made some sill plates not bolted down yet ,should have removed the safety tape before photo ,,I am very slow at this as it is my first interior other than just bolting in replacement pieces,

That's looking great. Are you going to run full door panels or leave the bottoms exposed like stock? I like that look personally. My truck will have full panels though. I didn't want to ad the work needed to make it all correct while sectioning the door. But I dig it showing the painted panels like original.

Brian
Old 02-03-2014, 05:22 PM

14 hour day driving big truck. came home worked on my little girls 1959 VW bug.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:26 PM

Last photo:

smooth is right..

x2 on the smooth, same for the super clean garage, could eat off that floor, mine would kill you..
Old 02-03-2014, 05:28 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post

I am curious, that chrome beading in your window rubber has my attention. I screwed up and ordered chrome seals, yet I have no chrome. *sigh* Is that chrome beading factory? Can I buy it and add it to mine? Is it on the windshield also? I am not sure what to do a set of window seals for chrome beading. I was going to return them and get right ones, but the cost of freight is as much as the seals. That chrome beading looks nice. I could do some if I knew where to order it from. Hint hint. ( Please don't sat LMC, I have bad with freight being in Canada )
Old 02-03-2014, 05:31 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
That's looking great. Are you going to run full door panels or leave the bottoms exposed like stock? I like that look personally. My truck will have full panels though. I didn't want to ad the work needed to make it all correct while sectioning the door. But I dig it showing the painted panels like original.

Brian
I agree, nice doors need to shown off. Mine will be open on the bottom for sure. Same with my floor. That floor of mine didn't come easy and I am not covering it up.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post

Brian
As of now I am planning on running full door panels that I am making from 1/8 pvc board also the kick panels and headliner (insert ) will all be made from same material and covered with Infinity ly camel leather.

Thanks for the kind words.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:46 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
I am curious, that chrome beading in your window rubber has my attention. I screwed up and ordered chrome seals, yet I have no chrome. *sigh* Is that chrome beading factory? Can I buy it and add it to mine? Is it on the windshield also? I am not sure what to do a set of window seals for chrome beading. I was going to return them and get right ones, but the cost of freight is as much as the seals. That chrome beading looks nice. I could do some if I knew where to order it from. Hint hint. ( Please don't sat LMC, I have bad with freight being in Canada )
The chrome IS factory for a deluxe cab I also tried lmc .brothers amd Jim Carter,neither fit the way I wanted it to,my front windshield is stainless also side windows the (wind guard on vent windows and drip moldind not installed yet ) is all stainless and inside window trim I have is stainless but I think I will buy some more and paint it to match the leather..my rear windows are a rubber / plastic rope seal ,I bought the ones that FIT @ Georgia Classic Parts thet specialize in 55-57 Chevy Parts they recently started stocking parts for 48-54 chevy pu I don't have web adresse but phone # is770-921-3244
they also sell new and vintage used parts. Lilburn Ga
Old 02-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

I forgot to post but the quarter rubber with chrome insert is only $20 and center is $ 17 with chrome insert.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:15 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by james cameron View Post

Welcome aboard Cameron.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:42 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by james cameron View Post

I also have a 59 my wifes Aunt and Uncle bought new amd donated it to me just before they passed away a couple years ago''I call it Hazel in memory

paint bad but runs great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hazel 002.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	118801  
Old 02-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Nothing really exciting to report. I am glad to say I got to the garage for about an hour and started cleaning up the body. Getting it ready to install the rear floor pans I am making.

It is good to get back to work.

John

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.