Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#9,781 ·
going over some old footage of a 55 Chevy quarter I did and plan to make a video of it and am recalling my boss complaining about the time it took. Man, that quarter had a million things wrong with it that were unacceptable but watching that video footage reminds me of what an IDIOT my boss was for just expecting things to magically get done in mitchell estimate time, which isn't even made for restorations or even accounts for the badly made quarters he always bought. It was beyond stupid when it came to cutting and buffing restoration jobs. He actually once mentioned the times given in Mitchell for a cut and buff. That right there just shows how clueless he was.

Anyhow, going to the gym and hopefully will start shaping some cardboard to get a side and over head shape of a tank and make the main pieces of a buck for my tank. This all hinges on whether or not my daughter will allow it. She might come back there to play and distract me but I don't mind.

#9,782 ·
I've only cut one drive shaft off and actually a welder friend of mine did it and he ground the welds at the rear yoke, tapped it off, cut the shaft then checked it 360 with a T-square and welded it back on. It was on a '47 Dodge PU and we never had a minutes problem. Seems like there would be more need for accuracy in the middle of the shaft than at the ends? Kinda like a jump rope so to speak. Just a thought nothing else.

#9,783 ·
#9,790 ·
Today I....
Trimmed & cut and groomed the spot where the travel trailed lives. Wife took truck & trailer and went camping with a bunch of her friends, so the area was vacant for the first time in a month, so....

AND - I discovered that I have a loose connection somewhere as only one bank of lights comes on in the shop (out of 3) when I hit the switches.

It is too hot right now, so I'll attack that later tonight when its cooler (use floodlights to see what I am doing) or early tomorrow morning

#9,793 ·
Just a thought, Dave, if they are fluorescent and the weather is cold, it could be the ?ballasts?.
WR
Certainly not cold weather. Yesterday was in the 90's (degrees F).
My ballasts are all the new solid-state electronic ones, so even if WAS cold, they'd still fire off.

I know what the trouble is - the junction box "way up there" on the wall where power comes IN from the panel, goes down to the switches and then back out to the light circuits. I have a loose connection up there - if I wiggle things, the lights come back on. Now to go and make a permanent fix.

Thanx for the suggestion, though

#9,794 ·
Yesterday I got my riding mower going and fixed a broken wheel on my welding cart.
That reminds me of the kid that swapped the lawn mower to a preacher for the preacher's bicycle. When the preacher tried to start it, it would not crank so the kid told him to try cussing at it. The preacher told him that he was a man of God and he didn't even know how to cuss. Then the kid said "yank on that pull cord a few more times and I think it will come back to you !"

end of hi-jack :smash:

#9,795 ·
Certainly not cold weather. Yesterday was in the 90's (degrees F).
My ballasts are all the new solid-state electronic ones, so even if WAS cold, they'd still fire off.

I know what the trouble is - the junction box "way up there" on the wall where power comes IN from the panel, goes down to the switches and then back out to the light circuits. I have a loose connection up there - if I wiggle things, the lights come back on. Now to go and make a permanent fix.

Thanx for the suggestion, though
All fixed now. It was the power wire going into the junction box that was not as well-done as I thought I had done it. I poked it and it sparked, so - cut the power, re-do that wire, switch power back on - all is good!

Now, with lights working again, I can see what I'm doing, so - back to installing panelling on the east wall. (Wonder if I'm ever gonna get the shop finished to where I can work IN it instead of working ON it!) :confused:

#9,797 ·
wiring the new garage

I spent all day saturday wiring the new garage in our retirement home, still under construction. Space for 4 cars, 11 1/2 ft ceiling, 60 amp sup panel with lots of 110 outlets and 2 220 v for welder-air compressor. Friday we had a bad hailstorm, the ground was covered with quarter size balls of ice, it ruined the tender plants in the garden, It has been raining for 10 days, Our second cutting of hay has a lot of black mold. I don't know if we can sell it. 1/3 of the farm income is gone.

#9,799 ·
I spent all day saturday wiring the new garage in our retirement home, still under construction. Space for 4 cars, 11 1/2 ft ceiling, 60 amp sup panel with lots of 110 outlets and 2 220 v for welder-air compressor. Friday we had a bad hailstorm, the ground was covered with quarter size balls of ice, it ruined the tender plants in the garden, It has been raining for 10 days, Our second cutting of hay has a lot of black mold. I don't know if we can sell it. 1/3 of the farm income is gone.
Sucks about the lost income, sorry to hear that.

Any way to upgrade to 100 amp panel ?? 60 is a bit low for all you plan to have.

#9,800 ·
I spent a bunch of money on the GTO last week just so I can sell it...

New master, distribution block/bracket and main lines. I already had all new steel lines, but bought all 3 flex hoses too.
New fuel tank and sender and then went back and ordered the new fuel lines too so the whole chassis would be more "attractive" to a new owner...:cool: