The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 503 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2014, 06:11 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,436 Times in 1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I got the floor and rocker panels cut out today.

Sweet.
Pugsy, Am I missing something or did you just cut out a perfectly good floor pan? Please tell me it is rougher than it looks.

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2014, 06:50 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Pugsy, Am I missing something or did you just cut out a perfectly good floor pan? Please tell me it is rougher than it looks.

John
Nope, the braces you see are solid as a rock.

Just the edges were rough to heck and the rockers were some aftermarkets brazed in by the PO and not done too well at all.

Also, i needed to make a whole new tunnel and hump, raise the floor 1-1/2" so faster to start from scratch.

And the main reason is just so I could cut it up and make all the purists cringe. That really gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling, ha.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:

Just the edges were rough to heck and the rockers were some aftermarkets brazed in by the PO and not done too well at all.

Also, i needed to make a whole new tunnel and hump, raise the floor 1-1/2" so faster to start from scratch.

And the main reason is just so I could cut it up and make all the purists cringe. That really gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling, ha.
LOL, I understand totally. Thanks for the explanation.

Sometimes it is easier to make a new panel than to sandblast or otherwise deal with a panel that is even badly pitted.

John
Old 03-08-2014, 08:25 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
I got my Rambler stereo glove box almost finished and in primer but ran out of time.

I went to my bondo supply and found that everything had turned to crap so I went to the local McParts store and bought myself a pint. But check out the treasure it had inside, metal wire net with adhesive on it for rust repairs! John, you could have gotten a few 3'x20' Rolls and been done already!

In looking thru my stuff for paint and primer I found this can of Acme Lacquer from when I had my shop. Good times, good times. I shot hundreds of gallons of this stuff. LOL Good times.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
Quote:
I got the floor and rocker panels cut out today.

Sweet.

That is friggin awesome Pugsy!

Brian
Old 03-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I got my Rambler stereo glove box almost finished and in primer but ran out of time.

I went to my bondo supply and found that everything had turned to crap so I went to the local McParts store and bought myself a pint. But check out the treasure it had inside, metal wire net with adhesive on it for rust repairs! John, you could have gotten a few 3'x20' Rolls and been done already!

In looking thru my stuff for paint and primer I found this can of Acme Lacquer from when I had my shop. Good times, good times. I shot hundreds of gallons of this stuff. LOL Good times.

Brian
LOL, I hate that I am so poorly trained. I can honestly say I never thought of doing it that way. Maybe in another life.

Your radio mount looks great. It is good to see everyone getting something done. I will be able to get back to work on mine Monday I hope.

John
Old 03-08-2014, 08:56 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:

I only read that you were taking the floor out. Now seeing the rockers out too, I feel a little bad about teasing you about all the bracing. It will keep the rest of the body in shape much better than just 3-4 bars...
Old 03-08-2014, 10:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
I only read that you were taking the floor out. Now seeing the rockers out too, I feel a little bad about teasing you about all the bracing. It will keep the rest of the body in shape much better than just 3-4 bars...
It's all good. Teasing is what we do hanging around the garage with pals.

It will hold the shape, alright. Now I have to carefully cut a brace to spread the door opening at the bottom before I can tack in the new rockers.

I thinks it's come up with some kind a "Gizmo" time....
Old 03-09-2014, 06:53 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Some one already has it is called a Port a Power ,,lol
Old 03-09-2014, 08:18 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Some one already has it is called a Port a Power ,,lol

And here I thought I had to reinvent the wheel.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:54 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post

Brian
Didn't Wile E Coyote buy a lot of there products? That must be the stuff he used for all those train tunnels!

BB
The Following User Says Thank You to boothboy For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 12:20 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Friday I got The Avenger all masked up and would have painted it but we cut out early so on Saturday I painted it. More trash than I expected cause I didn't want to wet the floor with a masked up car in there. Really happy about the blend, it turned out undetectable and all the flakes look even. I always knew what black could do from a body man's stand point but now I'm starting to realize that black will also highlight your orange peel. I like that fact cause it makes me test the waters. Good enough but I think I can get better. Btw, the spraying part is the fun and easy part, the hard part is masking it efficiently in consideration to what an insurance company gives you to mask the car. Getting smoother and faster at it so that's good.

really didn't need to prime that big of a patch on the sail panel but there was a little ding down at the bottom so I bridged it so it's not all splotchy.

decided to make the buck and even though the concern was only to hold the stuff I went ahead and put some emphasis on mating the shape. Might as well get some experience under my belt cause this won't be the last buck I make.

I'm going to disassemble the buck and use corner brackets. Screws seem to grab the wood and move it where IT wants to go, not where you want to stay. The unfortunate thing is,
I busted up my ankle pretty good after doing this and will have to be off my feet for at least a week. Will fight thru the pain and be at work at work by Tuesday. Gotta pay the bills.

Last edited by tech69; 03-09-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:17 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace
Last photo:

[QUOTE=123pugsy;2180465]Went to work this morning and bent up a couple of new rocker panels.

I am seriously missing working where the shop had a huge custom fab side. The place I used to work had presses where I could have set dies and stamped
out panels like I am buying today. Of course the place is bankrupt now. I cannot even go back and snivel for a saturday pass key.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post

I am seriously missing working where the shop had a huge custom fab side. The place I used to work had presses where I could have set dies and stamped
out panels like I am buying today. Of course the place is bankrupt now. I cannot even go back and snivel for a saturday pass key.
Sorry you lost your connection.

Going into sheet metal fabrication when I was young is paying off big time now. Never thought back then that I should pursue this trade so I could build hot rods later but it worked out that way.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
tech69 (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 03:40 PM

Last photo:

I added extensions at the sill with a lip going up to plug weld to the inner rocker panel that will come up and attach to the floor. The floor will be about 1-1/2" - 2" above the sill.

After they cooled off, they actually opened up. Usually when I weld something curved, the radius gets tighter and needs to be opened up.

You can see the gap between my template and the rocker.

I heated up the lip going upwards right at the bend. It's the only way I could figure out how to shrink the bend.

Lucky, it did the trick.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
John long (03-09-2014), tech69 (03-09-2014)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.