The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 507 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2014, 04:43 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Where does one find bungie cords that are 1959 appropriate?

John
At the antique store, of course, along with all our childhood toys....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 05:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Where does one find bungie cords that are 1959 appropriate?
I believe they were used in air craft landing gear at the time, and are mentioned in GM's 1957 Chevrolet Stock Car Competition Guide
Old 03-11-2014, 06:57 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

The 57 black widow used them on nascar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	52b8bcf75344c.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	127609  
Old 03-11-2014, 07:50 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

LOL, My blood running off the panel does not show in this picture. It is OK, I can spare a little.

Getting close to being ready to drill for my plug welds and cutting out for the body mount but going to go,ahead and make the other side first in case this needs to be tweaked more than I expect.

John

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-12-2014), CraigK (03-11-2014), MARTINSR (03-11-2014), NEW INTERIORS (03-12-2014), tech69 (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 08:58 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
John, that floor is looking absolutely beautiful!

I got out there tonight and sanded my glovebox to paint. I also dug into my stock (if you only knew how much I had, kinda crazy) I found that I had a quart of SEM "Trim black" (Unopened!) and that is what I am going to use. I'll be damned if I am going to go buy something.

Brian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (03-12-2014), tech69 (03-12-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 09:00 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

feeling very lucky my ankle is somehow feeling a lot better. I think tomorrow I might be able to get back into the garage after work, but man it feels so good to just lift my feet up and not have anyone expect you to do something, so I'm gonna milk it for one more day. It looks really purple though but looks worse than it feels, but still very tender. The Avenger left and the customer was happy but I wasn't cause I only focus on what I need to improve on. Anyhow, tomorrow I paint a silver focus with Martin's idea of blending on a stand. Front door getting completely painted, fender completely painted, and then the blend will go from the front door to back. Will try everything as I would if it were on the car and will post the results when it's put together. Lot of painting tomorrow and the boss loves this idea.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:12 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

not blending into hood?
Old 03-11-2014, 10:11 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
not blending into hood?
no, it's one of those ones we're trying to save from the crusher. Will definitely compare the parts to the hood though before doing the fender and will adjust my spray technique up top to accommodate light/dark differences. good thing is, it only shares a smaller than usual sliver on top of the fender that's on the same plane as the hood. I'm excited to try this blend on the stand and also another go at a clear burn in on the a pillar.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:39 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace
Last photo:

I finished up and mounted my pesky rad support ( thanks to Brain's pics )
and finally got oil to the top of that 235.

Nothing 1800psi of compressed nitrogen blowing backwards couldn't fix! I had something in the engine block journal pulled up. No idea what. But when that 1800psi went through, the oil pump made a bad bad sound. I think I had it spinning backwards, kinda might have dried up the pump. LOL, it is all good now.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:33 AM

Last photo:

Argh... transmission

Been trying to figure this darned transmission out and get it put back together and bolted back up.

I stubbornly refuse to do anything else until this thing is done. Plus, all the bolts, brackets and everything else is right where I need them when I'm ready to bolt it back in. If I move anything I may never find what I'm looking for. Meanwhile the shop is a mess and I have upholstery to tackle next.

Time for a bigger shop!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2014-03-11-23-24-44.png
Views:	23
Size:	559.9 KB
ID:	127649  
Old 03-12-2014, 07:43 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
That looks like my bench.......only yours is clean.

Brian
Old 03-12-2014, 09:19 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

This thing left yesterday but was busy masking so these were the only pics I got. This job didn't turn out perfect but it did a lot for me in terms of progression. I learned A LOT from this job. It definitely helped a lot in the outcome of today's spray.

we should have buffed the front door cause I know the blend didn't go that far on this one. It looks much better in person but from this pic you can clearly see a deeper color on the rear door. aka dull clear on front door.

The boss was more than happy to give Martin's tip a try when I told him all the time we would save. If it were a tip that would require more time though I'm not sure he'd feel the same way. This color was HARD to blend plus there was body work in the middle. Didn't give me much room to blend but pulled it off. The blend took up 70% of the door but on the bottom it almost went all the way. Couldn't help it. I had to balance out what would be better to live with. All in all, I think we could have helped ourselves had the boss given me time to spray a spray out card, but I'm starting to think most colors that are close are pretty blendible, and I say this because when I got my coverage coat on the blend panel(rear door) it looked HORRIBLE! I was worried that there was no way I'd get a good blend with it but with no time for a spray out, using the best available chip, this had to do. I guess I can't celebrate so soon til the door is on the car but I'm happy to know there's still some of the original color(30% of door) that will mate with quarter.

got my second shot at a clear burn in. Burned it in where those two spot welds are on the right and on the rocker lip. I nailed it almost perfectly. One little area I sprayed the solvent too thick but it won't need to be rubbed. It's pretty much undetectable and much better than I thought it would be. I decided to have multi layers of back masks. One for the base to keep it away. Peel that up. spray the clear. Peel the next up. Spray slow reducer with a tad of clear. Then peel the last one, which is just tape, then give it one last squirt. Even had some 2500 beyond the last line of protection. Couldn't be happier with it.

One thing I finally did was grow some balls when spraying clear with a 1.4. I said what the heck and went for it. I was sick of babying it. So I got one tiny sag on one of the doors and by the door handle, but think it was worth it. Anyhow, tomorrow he wants this car to go so I hope he gives me some time to buff it.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:30 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Glad it is working for you Henry.

I started playing with the sheet of low carbon cold roll today. It will interesting to see how it forms compared to the standard cold roll. I can already tell it is more malleable and should form easier and stretch further than the standard cold roll.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	127737  
Old 03-12-2014, 09:43 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace
Last photo:

Mr John, looks great! I hope he new cold rolled works out for you. You knows I am scared to death of cold rolled.

I am working on cleaning up and refurbishing my dizzy. I am going to be driving by Easter. No windows, no front sheet metal. Just me and my goggles.
I might just tie the doors shut.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2031.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	127745  
Old 03-12-2014, 11:44 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Today I did something really different!

One of my neighbours has a bunch of apple trees. A recent ice & snow storm, plus wind had knocked one of them over. As I was going past his place I saw him trying to cut branches and stuff off it with a hand saw. I stopped, chatted with him for a bit and after some discussion, went home, got some chains and truckers tow straps, as well as my chainsaw.

Fired up the ancient Stihl 041 and trimmed a bunch of the top weight off the tree, and then hooked up my pickup and pulled the tree back upright.

We'll see if it survives.
If not - he's no worse off than he was this morning, and I'll use the p/u to pull it out by the roots, and cut it all up for firewood

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.