Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#10,301 ·
I have been working in my shop at home for the last few days ,cleaning and removing parts trying to get a little extra room ,,I almost think some is bringing parts down there and stacking them up,,LOL I toof 2 sets of fenders and 3 doors for a 88-89 Silverado an extra hood a set of inner fenders 66 chevy pu and front clip for 66 Ch evelle out to another shed out back and several tires and wheels,then I rearranged some of my tool boxes and welders ,,Now I have some more room ,for Mabe a week..i should be smarter now as I am a year older

I have a wheel and tire and flywheel pressure plate,clutch to bearing and bellhousing in the bed of my truck I have got to deliver if I ever get caught up .:D:D:D

#10,302 ·
I have been working in my shop at home for the last few days ,cleaning and removing parts trying to get a little extra room ,,I almost think some is bringing parts down there and stacking them up,,LOL I toof 2 sets of fenders and 3 doors for a 88-89 Silverado an extra hood a set of inner fenders 66 chevy pu and front clip for 66 Ch evelle out to another shed out back and several tires and wheels,then I rearranged some of my tool boxes and welders ,,Now I have some more room ,for Mabe a week..i should be smarter now as I am a year older

I have a wheel and tire and flywheel pressure plate,clutch to bearing and bellhousing in the bed of my truck I have got to deliver if I ever get caught up .:D:D:D

I have cleaned up a few times dumping out all kinds of stuff I THOUGHT I really needed, never missed them and STILL don't have room. If we stay focused on the one thing we want to do we will get something done!

Brian

#10,303 ·
Tonight I worked with my son MIG welding. He has some emblem holes to fill on his "boot" from the Sunbeam at school and I wanted to be sure he had a good idea how to do it. So I had him drill a bunch of holes and weld them up. He ended up doing one after another a little different than I was showing him and they ended up friggin perfect! Hardly any lump front and back, just super nice.

Brian

Reactions: wretched ratchet
#10,304 ·
Tonight I worked with my son MIG welding. He has some emblem holes to fill on his "boot" from the Sunbeam at school and I wanted to be sure he had a good idea how to do it. So I had him drill a bunch of holes and weld them up. He ended up doing one after another a little different than I was showing him and they ended up friggin perfect! Hardly any lump front and back, just super nice.

Brian
That is just priceless. Hopefully he will stay interested and this will be a wonderfull experience for both of you.

Everyone needs something they can look at and be proud of. Especially the kids.

John

#10,305 ·

I know your pain, I have too much stuff and not enough room.
doesn't help I am a pack rat (bordering on hoarder).

#10,306 ·

Brian

That is pretty cool.
my dad never really had any hobbies/interest besides a little bit of playing golf.
he did try and ride 3 wheelers with us some, those were good times.

your son will remember this stuff later on in life, even if he does something else as a career.

#10,307 ·
That is pretty cool.
my dad never really had any hobbies/interest besides a little bit of playing golf.
he did try and ride 3 wheelers with us some, those were good times.

your son will remember this stuff later on in life, even if he does something else as a career.
You know what kills me, my dad was a hell of a cook. I mean chef in a fine restaurant kinda cook. He didn't do it for a living, he was a car salesemen, though he did own a restaurant here in town after the war for a short time. But as my sister said our little town wasn't ready for Eggs Benidict, and he went out of business. But he was so proud of his cooking skills he kept a letter that I still have from the head chef at a prestigious hotel in San Francisco inviting him in for an extended interview.

Anyway, he showed me things in the kitchen and I wasn't interested at the time. DAMN I wish I would have listened to him more! That guy could bone a chicken in friggin seconds with not a speck of meat on the bone, it was like magic.

The one thing he did teach me, boxing, he was a hell of a coach and I did that for almost 10 years. I am SOOOOO thankful he did that!

Brian

#10,313 ·
little hippie , why i never .....................
LOL, My parents wouldn't let me, I was so jealous of you in school! One of my favorite school mates was a guy in the year ahead of me with long hair and sleepy eyes who could play the HELL out of that guitar! He was the first I ever saw play feedback. He now owns a music store here in town and is one of my friends on facebook, he has short hair now but still rocks! :thumbup:

Brian

#10,315 ·
I guess you can tell what the project will be now.
Not car stuff, but it's what I'm working on.
If anyone doesn't want me posting it here, let me know.

Started cutting a panel and did a practice bend. A corner tear started so I tried another intersection with a tiny hole at the corner. Seems to work OK. I didn't get a pic of it. Will post it later.

Attachments

#10,316 ·
I hadn't guessed it would be an all day project just to install a steering wheel, but that's what it turned out to be.
I picked up a nice 64 Fairlane in a trade a wile back, and decided to throw some money at it before I sell it again ;) .
Todays project was to replace the column shift collar, so the shifter doesn't flop around like a limp stick. no real surprises there, but it did take a wile to R&R, paint to match, etc. The new Grant wheel was a bit different story however, as I had to pretty much re-design the adaptor to make it work. I always though Grant was a bit more on top of things than this. the turn signal cancel gizmo had to be cut down both on the back side and the pin length, then the hub needed to be reamed out to let it go back on the tapered steering shaft far enough. when the wheel adaptor was finally back far enough, there wasn't enough threads left on the shaft to pull it into place without adding a couple spacers under the nut.
All just another day in hot rod land I guess. I do like the new wheel however, now that it's installed :)

Russ

#10,317 ·
That does look good.

My day started out around a steering wheel too. I decided to pull the dash apart in the Bel Air before I ruined the windshield grinding these floor pans. After 45 minutes I had not even gotten the horn ring off much less the steering wheel. 5 minutes with a sawsall and problem solved. I cut the steering column, steering shaft. and shift tube just outside the firewall. Kind of a shame to do it. I think it was a good tight steering box.

Spent the rest of the day pulling the dash apart. Hope to get the garnish moldings, outside stainless and windshield pulled in the next couple of days.

This rusty old girl just does not want to come apart. :drunk:

John

#10,320 ·
Thinking outloud:D
I bought a really nice origional speedo on Ebay and got this '59 truck cluster for the 12 volt electric gauges. The gauges will look stock.

i have also had my instrument bezel plated already. :thumbup:

I just like the origional style of most old dshboards. it seems to me they really hold the "personality" of the car. I try to maintain the origional look with modern mechanics.

John

Attachments