The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 52 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

anvil

25 kilograms is 55 pounds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 03:23 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
today I finished the mom-in-laws new low maint. veggie garden

my fee was the dad-in-laws old anvil

???? I have a question for you guys about the anvil????
on the side it has the number 25 cast into it, but on the tag that is riveted to the bottom its listed as a 55 LB.

whats the 25 mean?????any ideas????
Jet hasn't made anvils for quite some time, so I'd guess that's 70's or earlier. A possibility is it's the weight in metric kilograms. 55 lbs. is 24.948 kilograms.

edit-Oops! I see Dave already answered that!
Old 04-01-2012, 03:31 PM

Last photo:

Went to the monthly hotrodder get together here locally, then had to come home and work on the wife's Mazda. Ugh!! Wipers quit on her yesterday about 30 miles from home and she wa saavy enough to stop and get some Rainx to put on the windshield and drove home without much problem after that.
Pulled the cowl trim off and the wiper motor arms and transmissions are all pop on plastic sockets! Who says the imports are built to last? Went to U Pullit and robbed a setup off another Mazda and put it in her's so it's up and running until it craps this stuff out.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:27 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210
25 kilograms is 55 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Jet hasn't made anvils for quite some time, so I'd guess that's 70's or earlier. A possibility is it's the weight in metric kilograms. 55 lbs. is 24.948 kilograms.

edit-Oops! I see Dave already answered that!
thanks guys, thats what I was guessing, but I hadnt had the time to look up the conversions to figure it out

I was telling the wife that it was pretty old and they dont make them like that any more

I never needed one before, until now (forming some pieces on the car)
it will be a nice piece for doing some hammering, it even has the square hole for different accessories
Old 04-01-2012, 05:36 PM
boatbob2

Today.........

Today i started making the complete cowl my 28 Ford RPU,should finish it in 2 more days,then i will make the firewall.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:09 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
thanks guys, thats what I was guessing, but I hadnt had the time to look up the conversions to figure it out

I was telling the wife that it was pretty old and they dont make them like that any more

I never needed one before, until now (forming some pieces on the car)
it will be a nice piece for doing some hammering, it even has the square hole for different accessories
Do you have the blacksmith accessories that fit in the square hole? That would be sooo cool
Old 04-01-2012, 06:37 PM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
Do you have the blacksmith accessories that fit in the square hole? That would be sooo cool
nope, but im going to get/make some
Old 04-01-2012, 09:07 PM

Last photo:

My father worked for the railroad and it was common for anyone who wanted one to have an anvil made from old railroad track. He always had one, and he had one made for me also about 45 years ago. I've had it ever since and moved it from home to home.
I've always used it for anything I needed to have a good base to beat on, but it seems as I get older the anvil gets more finesse use, and not just the heavy beating. I shaped many of the parts on my project using it, and although it's not a "real" anvil, it does the job well. One edge is rounded from heavy use of boxcar wheels, and the other is pretty square. Works out well depending on what I need. The ends are cut to a point on one and squared on the other.
This was a picture I took when I was shaping the 16ga to fill in my front fenders for the hidden latches on my tilt frontend. That's the old anvil on it's side with metal C clamped to the base:
Old 04-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

I got my front seats in, YA HOO. I started on the top, and got seriously stopped but still am happy with it. I cleaned out the lines and put the pump/motor and rams in. I filled it with brake fluid (I HATE messing with that stuff around nice paint) and the damn motor didn't work. I was getting power back there but it was locked up some how. "Some how" that I was soon to find out in a big way. I pulled apart an extra pump/motor that I had and there was a part so frozen in it that I couldn't get it out. So I went ahead and pulled the one on the car out, poured out the brake fluid (I HATE that stuff) and took her apart to find that I was damn lucky it didn't work, it was full of crusties big time! Holy cow what a mess, I am SOOOOOO lucky that the motor didn't work (well actually the pump was the problem) because it would have pumped that crap into my new rams!

So I had to break one of the parts on the spare motor to get it out, it was that frozen in. Then using parts from both made up a super nice pump/motor assembly. I still need to get a few seals tomorrow before I can put it back in. But now the good part, I don't have to use that damn brake fluid, I can put ATF in it now that it's all clean.

I was out there all darn day today and glad I had the time so I could finish the pump/motor after I found it frozen that would have bugged me to no end if I had been left hanging.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9709.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	963.9 KB
ID:	64540   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9708.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	64541   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9710.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	976.4 KB
ID:	64542  
Old 04-01-2012, 09:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
My father worked for the railroad and it was common for anyone who wanted one to have an anvil made from old railroad track. He always had one, and he had one made for me also about 45 years ago. I've had it ever since and moved it from home to home.
I've always used it for anything I needed to have a good base to beat on, but it seems as I get older the anvil gets more finesse use, and not just the heavy beating. I shaped many of the parts on my project using it, and although it's not a "real" anvil, it does the job well. One edge is rounded from heavy use of boxcar wheels, and the other is pretty square. Works out well depending on what I need. The ends are cut to a point on one and squared on the other.
This was a picture I took when I was shaping the 16ga to fill in my front fenders for the hidden latches on my tilt frontend. That's the old anvil on it's side with metal C clamped to the base:

Oh heck yeah, I have a few of them. Had one for years and years that I used all the time. One of the bottom edges like you are working with in the picture I ground to a little better radius so there are four different ones on it. Then I moved into a house with an old retired rail road guy and he had it all over that yard. He had pieces for the garbage can to sit on, he had some narrow gauge stuff that made up the close line poles, he cracked me up.

Brian
Old 04-02-2012, 07:37 AM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

now that is a cool/handy anvil
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I got my front seats in, YA HOO. I started on the top, and got seriously stopped but still am happy with it. I cleaned out the lines and put the pump/motor and rams in. I filled it with brake fluid (I HATE messing with that stuff around nice paint) and the damn motor didn't work. I was getting power back there but it was locked up some how. "Some how" that I was soon to find out in a big way. I pulled apart an extra pump/motor that I had and there was a part so frozen in it that I couldn't get it out. So I went ahead and pulled the one on the car out, poured out the brake fluid (I HATE that stuff) and took her apart to find that I was damn lucky it didn't work, it was full of crusties big time! Holy cow what a mess, I am SOOOOOO lucky that the motor didn't work (well actually the pump was the problem) because it would have pumped that crap into my new rams!

So I had to break one of the parts on the spare motor to get it out, it was that frozen in. Then using parts from both made up a super nice pump/motor assembly. I still need to get a few seals tomorrow before I can put it back in. But now the good part, I don't have to use that damn brake fluid, I can put ATF in it now that it's all clean.

I was out there all darn day today and glad I had the time so I could finish the pump/motor after I found it frozen that would have bugged me to no end if I had been left hanging.

Brian
it never ends, with these big projects
Old 04-02-2012, 01:46 PM

Last journal entry: bump stops
Last photo:

what i did

I spent the entire weekend under my 01 dakota, power washed the whole undercarriage Saturday then let it try. On Sunday I wired brushed the loss rust and dirt from most of the frame, rear end, and front end etc. After that I set up my tank sprayer and sprayed chassis Black paint on everything. Ended up with a major headache laying on my back for three hours but it will now pass inspection. sc
Old 04-02-2012, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

In your state they have an inspection for rust?

Brian
Old 04-02-2012, 02:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

Brian
You're really making great progress on it! That interior is very nice looking!
Old 04-02-2012, 02:09 PM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

Quote:
In your state they have an inspection for rust?

Brian
whats the matter?
are you confused?
finally, something on cars California doesnt regulate?

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« Come On Man! | - »