Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#10,561 ·
That would be why it is so popular...;)

That 409 would look KILLER in my '38....:D
I've drove Ford & GM diesel trucks but wasn't impressed :pain: until I drove a Dodge.:D
I've learned the Ford & GM diesels are higher revving engines and don't last as long as the lower revving Cummins in the Dodges. Diesels have better torque in the lower rpms.

If a person could build a diesel engine to have just as good torque in the upper rpms as the lower rpms they could corner the market and have every manufacturer knocking on their door.

If you want a diesel truck with a faster acceleration then by all means get a Ford or GM :), but if low end pulling power is what you want try a Dodge.:D:D:D

#10,562 · (Edited)
I agree and it would be just as cool with the orange tin valve covers and origional air cleaner........Just as if GM had built the car with that big old thing in there. Yupper, cool it would be.

You will have to come through Chattanooga on your way to David's to pick it up so stop by for a hamburger on the way through. :thumbup:

LOL not mine they are in Sterling Heights Michigan ,near Detroit.

#10,563 ·
There was a guy that showed up at the No St Paul show this summer in a '37 coupe. I got to talking with him and asked what was under the hood. He opened one side and it was a 348 !!! I told him to get the side panels off and let people see it. It was so freaking cool to NOT see a small block in there. It fit great and filled that compartment with coolness...:cool:

The car was set up like a gasser too, straight axle and a 4 speed. Damn it was cool. Of course, I didn't have my camera with that night...:mad:
Here's a '38 Chevy from the gasser forum with a 409 in it:

#10,566 · (Edited)
Hard to tell. Pans are interchangeable. 409's didn't come with tri-power but I think manifolds are interchangeable. Ports would be different . Need to look at numbers or crankshaft flanges. Probably some other stuff I've forgotten.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:
The 409 has the dipstick on passengers side front between 2&4 cyl
The 348 has dipstick on Driver side between 5&7 cyl
that would make it really hard if not impossible to hide.:thumbup:
Yes heads and intake are interchangeable,
I read somewhere once that because of difference in counter weights on the crank they had to move dipstick,?? not sure.

#10,568 ·
yes , the orange is darker in shade and brightens up in the sun.
john , i'll get paid when done. i started this one before my surgery so it will no longer be my DD . had to buy a truck. so it will go up for sale soon.

trophyman, that fordor looks great ! now the fun stuff. getting it built with no " oh craps " . already got one on the truck .... :(
WOW! I got one on my deck lid too:(

#10,572 ·
Remember my waded up fender?….. it turned green today.;) slow activator and 65* temps made for a bit of a challenge, but I got er'done. I'm trying to get the painting done before winter really sets in.

Russ
DAMN, that is gorgeous....:D

Now that you have honed your skill, I have a whole quarter panel that looks like that did. When should I bring the car down...:p

#10,575 ·
I've drove Ford & GM diesel trucks but wasn't impressed :pain: until I drove a Dodge.:D
I've learned the Ford & GM diesels are higher revving engines and don't last as long as the lower revving Cummins in the Dodges. Diesels have better torque in the lower rpms.

If a person could build a diesel engine to have just as good torque in the upper rpms as the lower rpms they could corner the market and have every manufacturer knocking on their door.

If you want a diesel truck with a faster acceleration then by all means get a Ford or GM :), but if low end pulling power is what you want try a Dodge.:D:D:D
I spent 28 years sitting behind an 893 cubic inch Cat engine. For the last 17 years, I had a 379 Pete and that 3406B ATA was "modified" and was putting out close to 2,000 lb ft of torque.

As I was crossing the Continental Divide In Montana a couple weeks ago, I was wishing I had a diesel pickup but except for that, I'm perfectly happy to not feel the harmonics or have the stink of a diesel engine anymore.

#10,577 ·
I spent 28 years sitting behind an 893 cubic inch Cat engine. For the last 17 years, I had a 379 Pete and that 3406B ATA was "modified" and was putting out close to 2,000 lb ft of torque.

As I was crossing the Continental Divide In Montana a couple weeks ago, I was wishing I had a diesel pickup but except for that, I'm perfectly happy to not feel the harmonics or have the stink of a diesel engine anymore.
Me and Cats don't get along very well.
most of our older trucks are series 60 Detroit.
Then a few with Cats (with auto shift, dumb) after those (because we couldn't get a Detroit in a Pete anymore.
Then we got a few Cummins, which is what my 2013 Pete is.
But all of our newest trucks have the new Pacar engine.