The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 53 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
whats the matter?
are you confused?
finally, something on cars California doesnt regulate?
I just hope one of our legistators isn't having lunch with one of yours and they talk about this.....next week there will be inspections on rust! But being they don't know anything about the subject. "Rust, you mean Rusty, the lead singer of the Clowns in shoes band"?

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Put new brake rotors, pads, fluid, and wheel bearings on my 93 dodge dually diesel. What a bi***. Trying to sparate the hub extention from the rotor. Had to beat a ratchet with a hammer to get the bolts out because i couldnt keep it still while putting torque on it, and it was nice and rusted together too. Cleaned up the calipers and brakets. New fluid and bled the whole system. Works so much better. Turns out the caliper slide was jammed up and wore down one pad to bare metal and ruined the rotors.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:31 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

had some hazardous material classes for work
then worked on some spring cleaning (left-over winter storm damage) yard work outside
Old 04-02-2012, 09:22 PM

Last journal entry: Csr Electric Water pump
Last photo:

Built new roll around rack for front clip a lil easier to work on and much easier to transport and move around and to and from paint booth.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:27 PM

Last photo:

That's awesome, and very good time spent. Sometimes spending that time on something saves so much on the other end, it is well worth it.

I flew home with my O rings to fire up my top pump/motor and see those cylinders go up and down, and they did! WHOO HOO double WHOO HOOWHOO HOO

That all works and I got started on the top bows. I am hoping I can get them primed and painted this weekend, that would be great!

Brian
Old 04-03-2012, 08:15 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373
Put new brake rotors, pads, fluid, and wheel bearings on my 93 dodge dually diesel. What a bi***. Trying to sparate the hub extention from the rotor. Had to beat a ratchet with a hammer to get the bolts out because i couldnt keep it still while putting torque on it, and it was nice and rusted together too. Cleaned up the calipers and brakets. New fluid and bled the whole system. Works so much better. Turns out the caliper slide was jammed up and wore down one pad to bare metal and ruined the rotors.
What ? No new calipers ? At least new seal rings and pistons ?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:10 AM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:

Off from work today, gonna take a nap, then get the carb and alternator hooked up on my 68 caddy.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
What ? No new calipers ? At least new seal rings and pistons ?
You don't really replace all those things when doing a simple "brake job" to you? Unless you have leakage, or you are dealing with some seriously rusted components you don't need to replace that stuff.

Brian
Old 04-03-2012, 01:10 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
You don't really replace all those things when doing a simple "brake job" to you? Unless you have leakage, or you are dealing with some seriously rusted components you don't need to replace that stuff.

Brian
When he said that some parts were rusted together, that put up a red flag for me on the caliper pistons. Unless they were the resin pistons, I would be very concerned about the chrome on the caliper pistons. I have seen way too many with the chrome seperating from the piston, and when you push the piston back in, it cuts the rubber sealing ring. On a '93, which is a 19 year old truck, and already replacing the rotors, it wouldn't be but about $30.oo more to replace the caliper pistons and seals. I just have never believed in shorting myself when it comes to brakes or steering. Big Al
Old 04-03-2012, 01:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
When he said that some parts were rusted together, that put up a red flag for me on the caliper pistons. Unless they were the resin pistons, I would be very concerned about the chrome on the caliper pistons. I have seen way too many with the chrome seperating from the piston, and when you push the piston back in, it cuts the rubber sealing ring. On a '93, which is a 19 year old truck, and already replacing the rotors, it wouldn't be but about $30.oo more to replace the caliper pistons and seals. I just have never believed in shorting myself when it comes to brakes or steering. Big Al
I can see your point now. Yeah, "it wouldn't hoyt".

Brian
Old 04-03-2012, 03:59 PM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:

Got most of it done except the nap. Pulled the carb, cleaned it a little more, hooked up the throttle linkage(had to pull a piece from the old quadrajet to hook it up), got the new fuel line bent, bolted the carb down. The fuel line is a PITA to thread into the filter off the fuel pump. So I stopped for the day after getting to that point. Also have to figure out all the vacuum lines to the carb to get everything to run right. The carb is from a 73 or 74(can't remember, been so long since I decoded it) caddy and is now on my 68.

Also replaced the wire terminals to the alternator. Can't figure out 2 wires though. They are not factory colors. And I can't trace it back to the regulator. One is lighter and one is a green color. Not really sure what to do at this point.

But overall a productive day. Should be able to get it running tomorrow out of a gas can.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:22 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Got collector car insurance today for the 48.tomorrow its the DMV
Old 04-03-2012, 08:06 PM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Got collector car insurance today for the 48.tomorrow its the DMV
wow, that cool
Old 04-03-2012, 10:53 PM

Last photo:

Awesome DBM, there's a step for us all!

I had a good night that I planned on my 5 minutes and just kept going until my top irons were all apart.

I was out in the driveway (I don't want anything like that near my car!) in a sprinkling rain. But I just kept on going until I got the whole thing apart. I guess I am going to be sand blasting it myself. I hate to do something so big but I don't have anyone I can trust. The only guy in town is more like a gravelblaster.

But I can do one at a time, I am thinking I will sand blast off pretty fast, they didn't put much on it. Only the front header and rear bow have some pitting, the rest is just a thin coat of paint.

You just don't know how nice it feels to know that I have another top bow assembly to refer to when I put this back together. I took loads of photos don't get me wrong, but DAMN this thing is complicated. If I didn't have that other assy photos or not I would be a nervous wreck tonight trying to go to sleep.

Brian

Old 04-04-2012, 06:20 AM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

we have a number of powder coat shops around here
I have had them "sandblast only" stuff for me in the past
you might try that

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.