The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 542 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

In a word BEAUTIFUL.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-08-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,247 Posts
I'm just so jealous. Never did make it to the shop. Ran around some and had fun when I should have been working........Looking good Pugs.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 08:32 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post

I was worried about the step up at the sill but I think it will look OK.

It looks great, and the step up looks like it belongs too!
The Following User Says Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 08:35 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Got the timing set on the Austin's new engine, and got the fuel line supports built and installed. Just built them out of flat aluminum and a insulated one hole strap.

The 10:1 CR doesn't like 8 degrees advance at idle, as it pings when I rev the engine. So I dropped it back to 4 degrees and it sounded fine, and no pinging.
Took it for a short drive, and it ran out good, but idles too rich. Need to do a little more tuning and carb adjustments.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 08:36 PM

Last journal entry: Body work
Last photo:

Gonna be a shame to cover that up pugsy.
Been working hard on the rambler interior and almost finished with the exception of door panels. Hard to get good pictures of the inside.

I boxed in everything behind the rear bar with panels I covered in vinyl and grey micro suede material that matches my seat inserts. The center panel I fabricated from aluminum and painted black is hinged and hides the ugly plumbing for the air suspension.

Even though this car may never see the track, I installed the 5 point harness anyway because I already had the mounting points. The 3 point retractable belts mount under the panels and I fabed some aluminum trim plates to clean up where the belts come through.

Made my first sill plates this weekend and the came out ok. I threw a chunk of aluminum in my mill vise at a slight angle and cut a channel with a 3/4" mill, clamped the 16 gauge aluminum over it with some scrap steel and made a forming tool with a couple pieces of 1/2" round stock to hammer out the shape.
[URL=http://s780.photobucket.com/user/barni6799/media/002-3.jpg.html][/U

Have a great evening.

Ed
Old 04-07-2014, 09:03 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanLT1 View Post
Been working hard on the rambler interior and almost finished with the exception of door panels. Hard to get good pictures of the inside.

I boxed in everything behind the rear bar with panels I covered in vinyl and grey micro suede material that matches my seat inserts. The center panel I fabricated from aluminum and painted black is hinged and hides the ugly plumbing for the air suspension.

Even though this car may never see the track, I installed the 5 point harness anyway because I already had the mounting points. The 3 point retractable belts mount under the panels and I fabed some aluminum trim plates to clean up where the belts come through.

Made my first sill plates this weekend and the came out ok. I threw a chunk of aluminum in my mill vise at a slight angle and cut a channel with a 3/4" mill, clamped the 16 gauge aluminum over it with some scrap steel and made a forming tool with a couple pieces of 1/2" round stock to hammer out the shape.

Have a great evening.

Ed
AS usual, everything you do is beyond excellent.

If you and Pugsy collaborated on a build, it would be world class.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:20 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

it went from me wanting to polish this Gran Sport to "how can you polish anything right" in this circus atmosphere. This clear is rock hard and the new painter put a lot of peel on it. The 3M compound sucks cause it dries up which means your pad must be cleaned very often and you have to wipe each and every time. There was nothing wrong with the Mguiares we were using before but everytime he hires a painter the entire direction of the shop changes. This shop sucks! I'm sick of this. This car should have been cut open before it got this hard now I got the pressure of an idiot on my back. I need a new job. This is a joke.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
AS usual, everything you do is beyond excellent.

If you and Pugsy collaborated on a build, it would be world class.
Ditto to the above....John
Old 04-07-2014, 10:02 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:

Have a great evening.

Ed
Ed everything looks great!!

BB
Old 04-07-2014, 10:38 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Spent a LONG time today trying to get all the mud off my truck. The Portland "swamp meet" lived up to its name in one of the parking lots, where my 4X4 sank to the axles and I had to get towed out (that was Saturday)

After walking my legs off for 3 days, all I wound up getting was one trunk hinge for my '37 Dodge. Drove 350 (plus) miles each way, spent nearly 300 bux in hotel bills, lots more on food, and spent a whole 10 bux on parts at the meet.

On the bright side, on the way home last night, my son drove and I enjoyed nearly 2 hours on the phone with "35 Terraplane" Bob
Old 04-08-2014, 05:22 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:

Have a great evening.

Ed

Thanks for the update.

I like that forming tool trick.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:51 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Thanks Mike.

Leftover motor mount brackets.
You mean those were mistakes that got recycled?????holly crap....Now I feel like a cave man.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
Quote:

Have a great evening.

Ed
Another component to an amazing car! Superb work Ed!

Brian
Old 04-08-2014, 09:45 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

another day cutting and rubbing and am excited to hear the Perfect it polish has a slight bite to it to remove swirls. Was happy when leaving yesterday cause I got both fenders sanded but buffed a square right before leaving and realized there was still too much peel. Grrrrrr. This stuff is hard as a rock! I will go back to an old technique I had of using a new semi soft spreader to check peel as the water dries. A squeegie isn't telling me jack. Good work is in the details but it can also drive you crazy when you notice every little detail of how the boss' decisions always seems to make the job harder than it needs to be. I need to work on that and learn to just accept it. If anyone has any other ideas of checking peel when sanding let me know.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
another day cutting and rubbing and am excited to hear the Perfect it polish has a slight bite to it to remove swirls. Was happy when leaving yesterday cause I got both fenders sanded but buffed a square right before leaving and realized there was still too much peel. Grrrrrr. This stuff is hard as a rock! I will go back to an old technique I had of using a new semi soft spreader to check peel as the water dries. A squeegie isn't telling me jack. Good work is in the details but it can also drive you crazy when you notice every little detail of how the boss' decisions always seems to make the job harder than it needs to be. I need to work on that and learn to just accept it. If anyone has any other ideas of checking peel when sanding let me know.
One of the hardest things in life to learn, at least for me. You want to do the RIGHT thing, and those around you don't. And the funny thing is the RIGHT thing is BETTER for them, but they just can't see it.

Wet sanding and using the little 3M squeegee is the top of the list for doing perfect cut and rubs if you ask me. I have taken every single spec, I mean EVERY SINGLE SPEC of texture out of complete bodies including the jambs using that method. Not leaving one 1/16" shiny spot, to me, that is like therapy, one of the most relaxing things I have ever done was cutting and buffing like that. One big difference, I also painted it, and prepped it, and did all the bodywork.....you know what I am talking about.

When you are cutting and buffing to such near perfection as that on someone else's work, YEOW, that can be VERY frustrating.

Brian

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.