Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#10,981 ·
Today I cut some new door panels out of 1/8" pvc and installed the metal tops from the old panels onto them. I'd sure like to see the machine that the factory used to put wire staples through the metal tops and cardboard panels. how do you do that??????? I drilled the holes first, but I'll bet the factory didn't. :confused:

Russ

#10,982 ·
Today I cut some new door panels out of 1/8" pvc and installed the metal tops from the old panels onto them. I'd sure like to see the machine that the factory used to put wire staples through the metal tops and cardboard panels. how do you do that??????? I drilled the holes first, but I'll bet the factory didn't. :confused:

Russ
Senco - Heavy Duty Clinch Tools

#10,983 ·
I'm still working on getting the 7 piece trunk floor in my Malibu. I will NEVER attempt to install another of these kits. This has already taken 10 times as long as the 1 piece in the SS and I'm NOT DONE yet !!!! What a PITA...:mad:

After many hours of punching and drilling 200 holes, then sanding them flat and the EDP off, I coated the bare steel with copper weld thru primer. I put the right side and center sections in today along with the right tank brace and tacked them in good before it was time for dinner.

I set up the screens and burn blanket to contain the sparkies...:D

I'll finish welding these in tomorrow and get the left side fitted and prepped.

#10,985 ·
I'm still working on getting the 7 piece trunk floor in my Malibu. I will NEVER attempt to install another of these kits. This has already taken 10 times as long as the 1 piece in the SS and I'm NOT DONE yet !!!! What a PITA...:mad:

After many hours of punching and drilling 200 holes, then sanding them flat and the EDP off, I coated the bare steel with copper weld thru primer. I put the right side and center sections in today along with the right tank brace and tacked them in good before it was time for dinner.

I set up the screens and burn blanket to contain the sparkies...:D

I'll finish welding these in tomorrow and get the left side fitted and prepped.

I hate what you are going through here. I am so fortunate to have gotten the one piece unit for the '53. What a good experience it was to have such a quality piece to install. Good luck with what you have to work with. I know you will tough it out but darn it. It is supposed to ne fun.

It looks like you are doing a great job. Hang in there!

John

#10,986 ·

Holy mackeral. that's a lot a spots to weld there :sweat: lookin good and she's sure be solid when you're done however. :thumbup:

Russ

#10,987 ·
I hate what you are going through here. I am so fortunate to have gotten the one piece unit for the '53. What a good experience it was to have such a quality piece to install. Good luck with what you have to work with. I know you will tough it out but darn it. It is supposed to ne fun.

It looks like you are doing a great job. Hang in there!

John
This is exactly why I ordered the 1 piece for the SS. The SS came with a 7 piece kit that I sold because I didn't want to mess with it. Then I buy the Malibu and it has the same kit included...:drunk: I figured I'd give it a shot instead of dumping another $500 on a trunk floor. Lesson learned...no more multi piece floors for me...:nono:

Holy mackeral. that's a lot a spots to weld there :sweat: lookin good and she's sure be solid when you're done however. :thumbup:

Russ
The best part Russ, is I made all those holes...:rolleyes: the original pan is one piece and is a significant part of the structural integrity, so I am making sure to duplicate that. I'm at 260 holes now and still have to prep the left side section. The right side has 138, so a FEW more to go. I should be danged good at plug welding when this episode is over...:D then I get to dress them all with the grinder...:( Maybe John will come over and demonstrate his technique. I read where he has a lot of experience with grinding welds...:p

#10,988 ·
This is exactly why I ordered the 1 piece for the SS. ..........

The best part Russ, is I made all those holes...:rolleyes: the original pan is one piece and is a significant part of the structural integrity, so I am making sure to duplicate that. I'm at 260 holes now and still have to prep the left side section. The right side has 138, so a FEW more to go. I should be danged good at plug welding when this episode is over...:D then I get to dress them all with the grinder...:( Maybe John will come over and demonstrate his technique. I read where he has a lot of experience with grinding welds...:p
I owe you some grinding but dog gone, it is a long way to your house. :D:

Maybe it is time for you to move south????

John

#10,989 ·
Since I've already experienced the metal stuck in the middle of my eye, I'm not curious to open the link Brian. ;) Yes, I'd agree harming my eyes is inconvenient, but it has been a rare occurrence since I started wearing safety glasses over 30 years ago. In fact this is the first since then, and I think a rubber strap to keep them tight on my face would have prevented it.
i am embarrassed to say i have been in twice for stuff in my eye
the first of those times i waited a day and they had to buff out a tiny bit of rust
the eye dr. said if i had waited any longer, i might have lost my eye :nono:

#10,990 ·
I should be danged good at plug welding when this episode is over...:D then I get to dress them all with the grinder...:( Maybe John will come over and demonstrate his technique. I read where he has a lot of experience with grinding welds...:p
Thats the easy part. a Zirconium flap disk on a side grinder will knock those down in no time :thumbup:

Russ

#10,993 ·
You thought I was kidding. :mwink: the Z80 stands for Zirconium 80 grit
Trrry it…. you'll liiike it. :D

Russ
I have no doubts about you, Russ, I was jabbing at John, again...;)

I have used flap discs but find them too course for surface work that shows. I TRY to keep the welds small and flat so they just need a touch of 120 and then 220 from my 3" disc. I know, it's just a trunk floor but I'm not gonna be happy if it looks like a mosaic when done after all the hours I have in it.

#10,994 ·
I have no doubts about you, Russ, I was jabbing at John, again...;)

I have used flap discs but find them too course for surface work that shows. I TRY to keep the welds small and flat so they just need a touch of 120 and then 220 from my 3" disc. I know, it's just a trunk floor but I'm not gonna be happy if it looks like a mosaic when done after all the hours I have in it.
There are flap disks….. and then there are flap disks. I don't know how many guys here already know about Lehigh Valley Abrasives, but if you haven't tried these disks you owe it to yourself to try them. they last better, cut faster and smoother, plus they cost way less than 90% of the competitors flap disks. Flap discs wheels grind finish Zirconia Aluminum Ceramic
They make them in roloc style too if you like those, but the 4 1/4 conical is the real deal. heck… if you pm me your address and I'll send you one for a Christmas present. :D

Russ

#10,995 ·
There are flap disks….. and then there are flap disks. I don't know how many guys here already know about Lehigh Valley Abrasives, but if you haven't tried these disks you owe it to yourself to try them. they last better, cut faster and smoother, plus they cost way less than 90% of the competitors flap disks. Flap discs wheels grind finish Zirconia Aluminum Ceramic
They make them in roloc style too if you like those, but the 4 1/4 conical is the real deal. heck… if you pm me your address and I'll send you one for a Christmas present. :D

Russ
I personally use the 3 inch 3/16 inch thick cut off style grinding discs and 80 grit Roloc discs. The flap discs do a beautiful job but will thin the surrounding metal some since you can not limit the grinding area to only the weld. I realize much of the time that does not matter but there are places where it does.

We all have our own way of getting from point A to point B.

I am glad Mitch said he was jabbing me. I had just told my wife I was going to have to hurry if I was going to get those welds ground and be back for Christmas. We all know how slow I am. :D

John

#10,996 ·

Russ
I personally use the 3 inch 3/16 inch thick cut off style grinding discs and 80 grit Roloc discs. The flap discs do a beautiful job but will thin the surrounding metal some since you can not limit the grinding area to only the weld. I realize much of the time that does not matter but there are places where it does.

We all have our own way of getting from point A to point B.

I am glad Mitch said he was jabbing me. I had just told my wife I was going to have to hurry if I was going to get those welds ground and be back for Christmas. We all know how slow I am. :D

John
Not gonna take much grinding. I really do work at keeping the weld puddle level with very little build up. I DON'T like grinding...:(

Left panel is in now too and the whole thing is about 85% welded in.

#10,998 ·
Not gonna take much grinding. I really do work at keeping the weld puddle level with very little build up. I DON'T like grinding...:(

Left panel is in now too and the whole thing is about 85% welded in.

Looks good Mitch. Do you like the copper weld thru primer. I have neen using the SEM. It is OK but it would be good to find a good product that wasn't 15 bucks a can.

John

#11,000 ·
Looks good Mitch. Do you like the copper weld thru primer. I have neen using the SEM. It is OK but it would be good to find a good product that wasn't 15 bucks a can.

John
I got a partial can from work, so it was free...:p I like it better than the Winzer primer they used to have, but it still gives off unpleasant fumes.

I did buy a can of Cold Galvanizing brand zinc primer today for around $11. I didn't need it for this so don't know how I like it.