The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 560 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2014, 03:45 PM

Last journal entry: bump stops
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

bumpers

Finally finished my rear bumpers on my coupe. my welder friend tig welded the two inner brackets on and I buffed them out one last time. took the time to repaint the frame ends where the bumpers attached with left over Full-Than black frame paint.
Also finished installing my front carpet tool about 3 hours. Can't remember how many times I took in and out cutting little bits off at a time. the Filling Station make repo door sill plates for a 31 chevy so next week I will order them. First car show this weekend, hopefully it will warm up a bit. In the 50's this week and overcast or raining, mud season in Maine. sc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper work 001.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	141730   Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper work 002.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	141738   Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper work 004.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	141746  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2014, 07:00 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,365 Times in 1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Finally finished my rear bumpers on my coupe. my welder friend tig welded the two inner brackets on and I buffed them out one last time. took the time to repaint the frame ends where the bumpers attached with left over Full-Than black frame paint.
Also finished installing my front carpet tool about 3 hours. Can't remember how many times I took in and out cutting little bits off at a time. the Filling Station make repo door sill plates for a 31 chevy so next week I will order them. First car show this weekend, hopefully it will warm up a bit. In the 50's this week and overcast or raining, mud season in Maine. sc
Good to see your progress. Good luck with the weather.

John
Old 04-28-2014, 07:30 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Almost done compounding the Gran Sport. See a couple pieces of crap in the paint that need to be sanded out a little better. I'll hit those with 2000 and 2500 on a da, then 3000. The 2500 Eagle stuff is awesome! It's REALLY hard making this guy's paint look good. What a nightmare! Looks like the hood on The Charger is no different. Someone needs to tell him to do something about the fish eyes and trash. Oh well, just happy my work wasn't completely destroyed.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:36 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Started making my tail pan today. So far so good.

John

Old 04-28-2014, 09:06 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post

John

Looks awesome John!

Brian
Old 04-28-2014, 09:10 PM

Last photo:

I drove my Rambler for the first time today after my vacation last week driving 1512 miles in the family truckster. So on the way to work it really was giving me the hotrod death wobble and I figured it was just me not being use to it, which I am sure it is part of the problem, I mean things don't wear out while the car is parked for a week. But it got REAL bad and I pulled over to check it and the front wheel wiggled big time! I came home using residential streets to keep the speed down and my son came out to help me and I'll be damn if the control arm bushings aren't shot! Ok, I have been putting off rebuilding them for a while looks like now's the time. I will be forced to drive the Gran Sport to work, damn it!

Brian
Old 04-28-2014, 11:13 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:

John

great work!
Old 04-29-2014, 10:00 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I drove my Rambler for the first time today after my vacation last week driving 1512 miles in the family truckster. So on the way to work it really was giving me the hotrod death wobble and I figured it was just me not being use to it, which I am sure it is part of the problem, I mean things don't wear out while the car is parked for a week. But it got REAL bad and I pulled over to check it and the front wheel wiggled big time! I came home using residential streets to keep the speed down and my son came out to help me and I'll be damn if the control arm bushings aren't shot! Ok, I have been putting off rebuilding them for a while looks like now's the time. I will be forced to drive the Gran Sport to work, damn it!

Brian
Just put the top down and waive at all those people giving you the thumbs up.

John
Old 04-29-2014, 10:06 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

FINALLY got my new engine-intake setup working! Can't believe it's taken so much tuning and troubleshooting to get this setup figured out! The big bugaboo that gave me nightmares, and created so much frustration ended up being a float level problem. The engine ran well cold, and performed great, but once it warmed up it began to idle rich and stall frequently. I had tried everything I knew possible, but couldn't find the problem. Had the bowls off the two 600 Holleys probably 10 times making adjustments and checking for the issue. Checked the floats and fuel pressure numerous times, as I felt the carbs were leaking down. I even replaced the float needles once on these brand new carbs, but no change. In desperation I finally lowered the float level beyond dead level as recommended. I set them about 10 degrees down from level, and bingo! Instantly the engine cleaned up, and no more loading up at idle! Not sure why they needed to be lowered this far, but it worked.
These new style Holley 1850's don't have external float adjustment, so in the future I may swap the bowls from my old carbs onto the new carbs. I am not a fan of having to pull the bowls to set float level.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

Rough trimmed the inner door panel for the Stude glass door. Next is glassing in some bracing and oak pieces for the door hinges and door lock. Window guides and fuzzies..

This was laid up with 2 oz. matt around the window frame with roving on the underside for strength. Will be foamed after the two halves are bonded together.
27 oz bi-axial cloth for the main part of the door.

I started to bondo/sand the visable areas but ran out of time..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stude door.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	141922  
Old 04-29-2014, 05:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
Rough trimmed the inner door panel for the Stude glass door. Next is glassing in some bracing and oak pieces for the door hinges and door lock. Window guides and fuzzies..

This was laid up with 2 oz. matt around the window frame with roving on the underside for strength. Will be foamed after the two halves are bonded together.
27 oz bi-axial cloth for the main part of the door.

I started to bondo/sand the visable areas but ran out of time..
VERY cool, damn that is awesome!

Brian
Old 04-29-2014, 05:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Just put the top down and waive at all those people giving you the thumbs up.

John
I really do enjoy driving it. I would drive it everyday but it's a hassle to get it out of the garage. I have a very narrow single car driveway. Unless I put my wife's van out on the street which I hate to do to her I have to move that. Then open the garage and VERY carefully thread between the fence and the house to get the Gran Sport out then go back and shut the garage door. As opposed to hoping in the Rambler that's parked at the curb and driving off.

But DAMN I love driving it!

Brian
Old 04-29-2014, 06:04 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I really do enjoy driving it. I would drive it everyday but it's a hassle to get it out of the garage. I have a very narrow single car driveway. Unless I put my wife's van out on the street which I hate to do to her I have to move that. Then open the garage and VERY carefully thread between the fence and the house to get the Gran Sport out then go back and shut the garage door. As opposed to hoping in the Rambler that's parked at the curb and driving off.

But DAMN I love driving it!

Brian

PARKED AT THE CURB! THE CURB? THE C U R B???

OF COURSE I AM YELLING. Marge at least deserves a carport.

John
Old 04-29-2014, 06:50 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
PARKED AT THE CURB! THE CURB? THE C U R B???

OF COURSE I AM YELLING. Marge at least deserves a carport.

John
Kinda doubt the city would allow a car port on the street...
Old 04-29-2014, 07:09 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

one thing I hate about buffing is that it never ends! It's always when you rush you make your mistakes. I got done with the body and it looked fantastic but felt rushed cause I had to redo an area on the decklid. Brought it out into the shade cause I didn't want splatter on the completed body and the lighting just made me "think" it was good. It's pretty annoying. The inside light, which is very dark in this shop, is great to gauge your scratch removal but nothing else, but out in the shade it's good for nothing til you pull it out a couple feet into the sun, in which it's the best way to gauge swirls/scratches. Since I was rushing and in the shade I thought I was all done and polished it. Then as I was leaving I saw two areas on the decklid that still need to be addressed and one rogue scratch and because it was in better light I noticed it. Oh well, another hour on it and it's done. Getting burned out on it. The good news is, I stuck out my neck on this and told the boss taking my time on this would lead to business from next door and their referral to do complete buff jobs and so when they are done with the blue Chevelle we spot painted it comes back and we cut and rub it. Even though that car was bought at Barrett Jackson and looks nice in pics it's a turd by my standards but with a clean buff job it can fool some more people for quite some time.

Time to go to Ace and go get some square tubing to make some tangs for these elbow pieces I got. I'd like to make these T-Dollys before I planish and grind down my welds on the tank.

Last edited by tech69; 04-29-2014 at 07:17 PM.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.