The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 567 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2014, 01:44 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

so I was next door finishing up the Gran Sport and someone who also does their body/paint offered me a job. Cool! I'm tempted cause this place I work at now I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to take their car here anymore. Can't even walk around the shop anymore. Cluttered with crap and bad jobs we should have never taken. I recall this comet and asking the boss over and over again that we should have the front clip blasted. He said it would take months...well it was sitting their for months til the customer got pissed then he applies pressure on us to get it done. would have been done a long time ago if the moron listened. Instead, he's just ripping off the customer and there's no way we can sand into crevices/corners like a sand blaster. Then we got an impala where the whole car is rusty but since we're doing it in sections he won't tell the customer to get another car or be honest with what we're finding. He'll have him dump all this money into it and when it's done the customer will be pissed. Then there's the insurance fraud. This man is lucky I don't turn his butt in. It always will bother you more when you put in a honest days work as opposed to trying to screw people.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2014, 03:03 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
so I was next door finishing up the Gran Sport and someone who also does their body/paint offered me a job. Cool! I'm tempted cause this place I work at now I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to take their car here anymore. Can't even walk around the shop anymore. Cluttered with crap and bad jobs we should have never taken. I recall this comet and asking the boss over and over again that we should have the front clip blasted. He said it would take months...well it was sitting their for months til the customer got pissed then he applies pressure on us to get it done. would have been done a long time ago if the moron listened. Instead, he's just ripping off the customer and there's no way we can sand into crevices/corners like a sand blaster. Then we got an impala where the whole car is rusty but since we're doing it in sections he won't tell the customer to get another car or be honest with what we're finding. He'll have him dump all this money into it and when it's done the customer will be pissed. Then there's the insurance fraud. This man is lucky I don't turn his butt in. It always will bother you more when you put in a honest days work as opposed to trying to screw people.

If you really feel this way, you have absolutely no reason not to accept the new job offer, even if it's a bit lower in pay.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
tech69 (05-10-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 04:41 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Even if it was half the pay .I would not work for te man you work for now at ANY PRICE ,,Just my opimion ,may be I should keep it to my self.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-09-2014), tech69 (05-10-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 07:53 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
Yep, a thief, there is NO WAY I could work for a thief. And remember, there are lots of ways for an employer to pass off what he does onto his employees! Let's say for instance you do a job and it says to replace a part that he didn't replace. Well if you signed that work order, or he even has proof that you read it where it said to replace it, and you on his orders repaired the part and he sent the new one back for a refund (classic autobody thief MO) YOU can be found part of the fraud as much as him!

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
tech69 (05-10-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 09:10 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,148 Posts
Almost ready to tack the left end of the tail pan to the trunk drop down. All of this is so critical to the final fit and finish, I am really nervous about it. Moving slow but at least I am moving.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	144898  
Old 05-09-2014, 09:20 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

I have been moving slowly a lot lately .
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
John long (05-10-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 11:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Almost ready to tack the left end of the tail pan to the trunk drop down. All of this is so critical to the final fit and finish, I am really nervous about it. Moving slow but at least I am moving.

John
You're going a heck of a lot faster than me! But I was just thinking I think I will get back out there on the truck this weekend, even if only for 5 minutes. I think I can get that done.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (05-10-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 04:43 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Yep, a thief, there is NO WAY I could work for a thief. And remember, there are lots of ways for an employer to pass off what he does onto his employees! Let's say for instance you do a job and it says to replace a part that he didn't replace. Well if you signed that work order, or he even has proof that you read it where it said to replace it, and you on his orders repaired the part and he sent the new one back for a refund (classic autobody thief MO) YOU can be found part of the fraud as much as him!

Brian
he doesn't even have work orders in the car. The other day I found a support to be back 1/2" and pushed over to the side. Would have taken me at most 1 hour to get it square and pushed back up. He was sure happy and had time to take pics of the tram gauge not reaching the hole but doesn't have time to fix it right. Got time to set up and measure but all he gave me time for is to slide hammer out the brackets on the frame ends and a quick mock up of the front bumper, that was it. Didn't allow me to take it further Then he puts it off to the last minute and has his hack mechanic just push the hood over while open. There's a reason why the estimates aren't in the car, and that's cause he doesn't want us to see his fraud. Every car we do he lies and tells the customer "oh it's going to get done or we'll be at this point on such and such date." Then that date comes without anyone working on it and at the last minute he puts pressure on us to get it done, not listening to what we said earlier about how long it takes, what we need, nothing. The only people who leave happy are stupid to not see he's a crook. It really bothers me to hear him brag about the quality around here but doesn't have any passion for it and you're just sitting there hearing it fully knowing he's deceptive and a liar. It makes you want to corner the customer and tell him, "hey take your car down the road."
Old 05-10-2014, 06:55 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Get outta there before you turn into a miserable old body man.
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
tech69 (05-10-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 07:37 AM

Last photo:

The BAR doesn't care about quality, all they care about is if there is a line on the work order that the customer was billed for that didn't get done or something like that. If it says a part is being replaced, or a fender is being blended and it doesn't get done, that is fraud. If it says 10 hours to fix a quarter panel and the body tech kicks it out with his feet and it goes to paint, believe it or not, there is nothing the BAR can do about that because "quality" of the repair is subjective.

But yeah, there is no way I would work in a place like that. One of the reasons I have stayed where I am for so long is it's just the opposite there, we do EVERYTHING by the book. If the customer comes back with a complaint, I don't even need to ask the boss, I tell the customer we will take care of it, get them a rental car on our dime, send the car to the dealer for repair on our dime, buy a new part on our dime, it doesn't matter what it is, we take care of it.

To me, talking to customers with a clear conscience is more valuable than anything I could ask my employer to give me.

Brian
Old 05-10-2014, 05:11 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Get outta there before you turn into a miserable old body man.
too late for that. Can't even motivate myself to go into my garage and do some metal shaping. Just not feeling it. Haven't felt good about this shop since I last painted. He clamors about how fast he is but is too stupid to see the reason is because he doesn't mask well for primer. When I was painting he told me to bag everything and mask to the floor and all along I asked him to look into an Astro LVLP primer gun so we could mask less for spot primes, without overspray. He's such an idiot and kisses every painter's butt that walks in here, will buy anything the painter needs but lets the body area rot cause according to his spreadsheets it's the paint department that makes the money. When I quit he'll learn the hard way that without good quality techs he might as well kiss his quality talks goodbye. How stupid to just forget every procedure about quality restorations and listen to the new painter who has only ghetto old schools with big rims on them. REALLY, we're just gonna forget everything we're doing here and "oh, he knows he paints thug cars." The guy is completely clueless and on pills.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

hope this works trying to post video
Old 05-10-2014, 05:36 PM

Last photo:

Got to work on the Studebaker fiberglass inner door panels today. Bought a 5ft. 4" wide red oak trim board and used pieces of it to brace the front hinge points and the door latch area of the door.

Installed the oak on the inside of the door. Vertically over the two door hinge bolt on areas. Bondoed up both ends of the roughed up board and clamped it to the inside of the door panel, over the hinge mount points, so the hinge brackets bolt thru the board at three points on each hinge. Glassed it into the inner door. Will install nutserts when I get an idea of where the hinge holes will line up. Pics tomorrow if I remember the cameras
The latch brace is glued and glassed to the end of door, stock location. Then braced and internally glassed to make the area ridged.. Trimmed window opening for closer fit of glass runs and vent window.

I am going to start the outer door panel tomorrow if all goes well.

One layer of 1 oz. glass matt and a layer of nylon fleece fabric, stretched tight. . Polyester resin then Gel coat last. Over the original door.. Then when set up I will do bi-axial matt on the inside of the door skin area and bond the inner and outer panels together..

Then comes a gallon of poly filler and lots of board sand/dust!!

"Itchy" BOB
Old 05-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
still having problems
how do I load a video from you tube

Last edited by 496CHEVY3100; 05-10-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:00 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Go to the YouTube page and open the video. That will give you the proper address for that specific video and will come up in the address bar at the top of the page
Highlight the address in the address bar at the top of the page by holding the left mouse button down while sweeping across the address . Right click the address. Select "copy".
Go to the Hot Rodders thread you're working with. Place the cursor where you want the video to appear. Right click and select "paste" and the link to the address should appear.

Easy peasy

BB

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.