Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#101 ·
A SMALL BIT ON "THE PROJECT"

Pulled The Ladder Bars Off To Prep & Paint. Raised Engine/tranny To Mock Up Engine Mount Bottom Plates. Started On Floor Patterns With Cardboard For General Ideas. Hopefully Will Get To A Lot More This Wkend. Speed Shop Is Supposed To Have The Correct Bolt On Disc Rotors For The Rear End, (has Old Drag Back Half With What Looks Like Gm Single Calipers). Need To Finalize Plan For Mounting Fuel Cell & Battery Box At Rear Behind Tubs.

#106 ·
MARTINSR said:
What are you doing to the hood? Are we talking repairing dents or are you filling holes or something?

Brian

I took out hinge to make it one piece.
This is nothing yet, the 2 sides gotta get extended and the front nose piece needs to be made yet.

The pic below shows how much more needs to be done.

Attachments

#107 ·
123pugsy said:
I took out hinge to make it one piece.
This is nothing yet, the 2 sides gotta get extended and the front nose piece needs to be made yet.

The pic below shows how much more needs to be done.
You are doing some super tin work there, wow. I love quotes and have some sent to me everyday. Todays was about steam and steel (the steam engine and steel furnace inventors were born today) and one of the quotes if perfect for you.

Steel can be any shape you want if you are skilled enough, and any shape but the one you want if you are not.
- Robert M. Pirsig

#108 ·
MARTINSR said:
You are doing some super tin work there, wow. I love quotes and have some sent to me everyday. Todays was about steam and steel (the steam engine and steel furnace inventors were born today) and one of the quotes if perfect for you.

Steel can be any shape you want if you are skilled enough, and any shape but the one you want if you are not.
- Robert M. Pirsig

Thanks.

Lately its been any shape but the one I want........... :pain:

#115 ·
matts37chev said:
shovel snow, take wife to work, shovel snow, work on RH rocker on 37, shovel snow, post here :welcome:
LOL. got any pics???? Of the snow shoveling that is,its been so long since I've seen any I forgot why I moved to Ga. I do remember the snow plow always came by throwing in 2 more feet as soon as you finished and got back inside.Oh and how much fun it was getting a good head of steam up trying to drive over a frozen 2 foot hump of snow at 5am that'll wake you up better than a couple cups of coffee when you get air on all four tires... :drunk:

#117 ·
deadbodyman said:
LOL. got any pics???? Of the snow shoveling that is,its been so long since I've seen any I forgot why I moved to Ga. I do remember the snow plow always came by throwing in 2 more feet as soon as you finished and got back inside.Oh and how much fun it was getting a good head of steam up trying to drive over a frozen 2 foot hump of snow at 5am that'll wake you up better than a couple cups of coffee when you get air on all four tires... :drunk:
not of the shoveling itself, but of what needed shoveled :D

we got about 10" of snow that night, which is a huge amount for around here :pain: and very rare, 2"-3" is more the norm

we live on a corner, so you have to stop at the end of our heavily wooded driveway, before you can pull out onto the road

so the 2 foot tall wall/pile of snow/slush stuff does make it interesting :thumbup:

Attachments

#118 ·
123pugsy said:
Mocked up a new shape for the front of the hood.

I don't think I like it.
The Willys look is meaner. :evil:

My first idea is in the second pic.
I don't know which I like more, but you are doing a fine job, that is for sure. This should be posted in the "hotrodding basics" forum as it is an often missed step with beginners. Trial fitting or mocking stuff up and standing back to look at it, roll it outside so you can stand back and look at it is the way of an artist.

Brian