Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#12,041 · (Edited)
gonna go look for a donor bike to get a good head tube and bottom bracket for a frame I'm going to fabricate. The head tube size will dictate what size tube I get so it's all the same size and can weld most of the frame on the floor, which will only require the back part to need a jig or a protractor/ a few tacks/ a big rubber mallet. I think I'll go with the rubber mallet later. Then I will practice some Tig welding/mig roll of dimes technique. Than basketball. Weekend joy!

#12,042 ·
I worked on nothing today. and it felt great :D . went for a ~60 mile drive in the Vette with my sweetie by my side. mostly a big loop with a side trip down the Rogue river a' ways. we always enjoy the river scenery :thumbup: . reached 70* today, but Jennifer is cold blooded, so I made the concession of keeping the top up.
Spring is comin'.

Russ

Attachments

#12,043 ·
I worked on nothing today. and it felt great :D . went for a ~60 mile drive in the Vette with my sweetie by my side. mostly a big loop with a side trip down the Rogue river a' ways. we always enjoy the river scenery :thumbup: . reached 70* today, but Jennifer is cold blooded, so I made the concession of keeping the top up.
Spring is comin'.

Russ
We hit 43° today and expect 50's next week. It will be the first time for that in 5 months.

I worked on diminishing the waves in my quarter seam. I "improved" the areas I can get at in the trunk and quarter window, but am still stumped as to how to do the 3 feet between.

Yesterday, I decided to move on with the tail panel and removed it and threw the new AMD in. Initially it looked OK but the flange and gutter for the seal isn't even close to matching the tab/gutter on the quarter..:mad: I took pics, called AMD and sent the pics. They are "going to see what they can do", yeah right. It would take a re-tooling to get this part right. I called gm sports in CA about a cut off and almost fell over, especially the shipping.. .:pain:

#12,044 ·
Spring is comin'.

Russ
Nice car and views, reminds me of Arthur's pass down here.
Russ:D:D
Later gator

#12,045 ·
We hit 43° today and expect 50's next week. It will be the first time for that in 5 months.

I worked on diminishing the waves in my quarter seam. I "improved" the areas I can get at in the trunk and quarter window, but am still stumped as to how to do the 3 feet between.

Yesterday, I decided to move on with the tail panel and removed it and threw the new AMD in. Initially it looked OK but the flange and gutter for the seal isn't even close to matching the tab/gutter on the quarter..:mad: I took pics, called AMD and sent the pics. They are "going to see what they can do", yeah right. It would take a re-tooling to get this part right. I called gm sports in CA about a cut off and almost fell over, especially the shipping.. .:pain:
Not good. I hate this is not going well fo you. :(

John

#12,046 ·

one thing is for sure, the part where they overlap will hardly ever fit, no matter what they do. Often times you will have to slice it and shut it/open it where it overlaps to fit, and this is on many different panels I've worked on for many different cars and right in that same gutter area where it curves around and overlaps. You might as well get out the old rubber on your decklid or gutter and simulate that as well to see how high/low it needs to be. You can get a pair of welding vise grips and weld on some tabs to use to bend it up or down to get the height right. Don't worry about it, that's pretty common. I always expect some sort of slicing and dicing with all the old school stuff, I don't care what company it comes from. It's usually all inaccurate.

#12,047 · (Edited)
happy with my pearl paintjob not happy with the flake
the flake was my first time spraying it though, i bought a cheap siphon feed gun with a 1.8 tip for doing the flake , no matter what i couldnt get enough flake out of the gun at once so i had to put on a ton of cpats and then the clear ran , luckily its mostly hidden by the seat , im not even going to try putting more flake on it so just the tank center has flake on it

the frame got painted black and i think it looks good

#12,050 ·
Started putting rubber mats on my running boards on th 38.

I got one side finished up the other side was a pain. I installed it a few months ago but used the wrong kind of adhesive. Now I have to remove it from the step and mat. I have about half of it removed and hope to finish it up tomorrow.

Attachments

#12,051 ·
I got one side finished up the other side was a pain. I installed it a few months ago but used the wrong kind of adhesive. Now I have to remove it from the step and mat. I have about half of it removed and hope to finish it up tomorrow.
Whoa, NICE '38. I have one too, but it's no where near as nice as yours.
Any complaints about the fuel tank behind the seats ? Noise, sloshing ? The PO moved mine to under the trunk, like a sedan, and I don't really like it under there either. I've thought of putting one back inside and using the door to hide the cap, like you have. That is a really clean look.

#12,052 ·
Whoa, NICE '38. I have one too, but it's no where near as nice as yours.
Any complaints about the fuel tank behind the seats ? Noise, sloshing ? The PO moved mine to under the trunk, like a sedan, and I don't really like it under there either. I've thought of putting one back inside and using the door to hide the cap, like you have. That is a really clean look.
Thanks.
No problems except it takes away any extra room that was back there.

#12,057 ·
Wahoo, last coat of primer shot on all my cabinets face frames.
Just need to go out and spray the big one.

Start painting the color next weekend.

Man, painting sucks. I don't know how anyone can lay down paint for a living. And the funny thing is that I was under the impression every body man wants to shoot the paint.

#12,058 ·
I had an amazingly full day yesterday, what a blessing of a day.

First off, I got some work done on my Rambler. I sealed up the rear window. No, we don't always do the right thing, sometimes we need to just do what I call the "Bestest" work. What I call the "Bestest" is doing something "hack" but doing it well. :D Yesterday I sealed the rear window the "Bestest" way. The rubber is shot and cracked, replacing it is darn near impossible with the cost, and from what I understand it's not a good reproduction and leaks anyway! So, I spent a bunch of time yesterday and taped off the glass and rubber to put a tiny little bead of urethane around all the seams and smoothed them out with my finger and unmasked it. The window is sealed, but most certainly not the right way. I tried everything I could to get urethane down into between the rubber and the body but just couldn't, with the design of the rubber holding so tight against the body, and it being cracked ever 1/8" and hard, I gave up and did it this way. Oh well, it's a driver.:sweat:

So after that I went to a place with my daughter where you paint a ceramic piece that they then fire it for you. I have close to zero artistic skills other than a few basic drawings of cars....and flames. I can do flames so that is what I did on a mug. Had a wonderful time with my little sweetie. Spent 4 hours doing this!

Then my wife and I went out to dinner and a play at a local theater. This little down is just 8 minutes from me and it's like another planet! The restaurant was full so we were sent to the bar to eat and found an awesome band was just starting. Had some amazing seafood pasta and then went on to the little old school reminding me of my elementary school which has long been knocked down, so damn nice I had never been in there, what a nice community. Yep, full day that's for sure. I will get out there to the garage and see how far I can get on the Rambler getting that interior back together once and for all.

Brian

Attachments

#12,060 ·
I'm sorry I am posting something so far out of the thread topic, I do that too much and realized it after I could edit it. I'll start a new thread in off topic or something for that stuff.

Brian

Reactions: whinny