The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 606 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2014, 01:31 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
This got me thinking about,.... what are hot rodders using for antennas these days? Antennas are a nice way to uglify an otherwise nice looking rod.
I was at BTTF yesterday with a friend and he bought an amplified, hidden antenna for his car. He doesn't have a radio yet to try it but they CLAIM he can put it under his dash out of sight and it will work. It has a 12 volt amplifier built in that has to be wired to power it. We shall see when he gets a radio.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2014, 03:08 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Got my motor and transmission installed in the 1 ton most trouble I have ever had installing a transmission ,,
I removed old style SBC and replaced with a 96 -5.7 center bolt FI engine,i changed it over to carb but retained new style alternator PS and reverse flow water pump ,trouble is I have talked my self into believing I need to change the radiator to a cross floe such as the 96 had because of reverse rotation,but really don't know ,Any help any one,

Well I guess not,
Old 06-21-2014, 03:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Well I guess not,
I can only share my experience with my '38 that MAY have a serp pump on. That is what my running hot issue seems to have come down to. I have had several people suggest it is a serp pump and not flowing enough coolant to keep the temp down. This is with a vertical flow, top down rad though and I don't know if a horizontal rad would be an issue. Didn't the rads on the serp pumps run the same direction as a belt pump ?
Old 06-21-2014, 03:56 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,247 Posts
Quote:
Well I guess not,
Not from me. Heck I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
I can only share my experience with my '38 that MAY have a serp pump on. That is what my running hot issue seems to have come down to. I have had several people suggest it is a serp pump and not flowing enough coolant to keep the temp down. This is with a vertical flow, top down rad though and I don't know if a horizontal rad would be an issue. Didn't the rads on the serp pumps run the same direction as a belt pump ?
Heck. I still don't know. Dang, I love this thread......

John
Old 06-21-2014, 04:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Not from me. Heck I don't know.

Heck. I still don't know. Dang, I love this thread......

John
You jogged my memory. The reason a serp pump won't work on my engine is because I have a v-belt pulley, so the impellor is turning the wrong direction to move the water. In a crossflow radiator with the pump turning the correct direction to move the water, I don't think it matters.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:25 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
I was at BTTF yesterday with a friend and he bought an amplified, hidden antenna for his car. He doesn't have a radio yet to try it but they CLAIM he can put it under his dash out of sight and it will work. It has a 12 volt amplifier built in that has to be wired to power it. We shall see when he gets a radio.
Please keep me posted on this. I'd like to hear how it works out.

Thanks.
Pugsy
Old 06-21-2014, 05:34 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
Sooooooo, I got out to the garage this morning, turned on the compressor got the wheels out on the back lawn with the sand blaster, got one and a half wheels done and said SCREW THIS CRAP, put it all back in the garage and I will have the powder coated next week. I have someone who will do them for me for about $160. The paint alone is going to cost me $75 to do it at home, that and $25 in my black diamond blasting media and $30 or so in SPI primer and I am saving $30 for a butt kicking weekend of work out in the sun, nope, not for me. I am just tooooo tired after how busy it's been at work, I just can't do it, I am beat! This was at 9 this morning, I gave up and took a shower and laid on the couch with a ball game and slept until 2! Damn I am tired of the amount of work at the shop, I am so tired of it!

But anyway you look at it, adding up the numbers it doesn't make any sense to do these at home. The guy will pick them up from my door at the shop and have them back to me in a couple of days.

Brian
Old 06-21-2014, 07:16 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

so you got you 5 min in anyways...heck even bringing them to the powder coater will take more than 5 min ,Thats another GOOD day...I got my 5 min in too before it got too hot, I welded up my antennia hole...
Whew ,I'm beat...
took the girls down to the brick pond and fished for a couple hrs with our pink barbie poles.....Then spent some quality time with my son ....Texting....he texted me Happy fathers day, I told him what a dumazz he was, fathers day isnt till tomorrow.....of coarse he was joking.......what a strange sence of humor....
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (06-21-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

Just collapsed into a chair....

Went to a show in Owosso Mi. Trains Planes and Automobiles.. Saw several operating steam loco engines and the huge engine that was used in the movie Polar Express. Watched the crewmembers fire the old monster up and move it out on the main track to hitch up with old passenger cars to make a special run.. A ground shaking monster with a killer whistle..

Then the Bi-planes and b-17 and WW2 planes of all types flying overhead.. Plus the car show... Then on the way home stopped at the Flushing A&W for their cruise...

Walked miles and my old diabetic feet have had it,, Still gotta feed the coon and an early turn in tonite..
Old 06-21-2014, 07:37 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Got my motor and transmission installed in the 1 ton most trouble I have ever had installing a transmission ,,
I removed old style SBC and replaced with a 96 -5.7 center bolt FI engine,i changed it over to carb but retained new style alternator PS and reverse flow water pump ,trouble is I have talked my self into believing I need to change the radiator to a cross floe such as the 96 had because of reverse rotation,but really don't know ,Any help any one,
You had me worried there I put the same system on mine but it looks like I used the water pump from the doner too...The whole motor was green...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2045.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	156522  
Old 06-21-2014, 07:48 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post

Went to a show in Owosso Mi. Trains Planes and Automobiles.. Saw several operating steam loco engines and the huge engine that was used in the movie Polar Express. Watched the crewmembers fire the old monster up and move it out on the main track to hitch up with old passenger cars to make a special run.. A ground shaking monster with a killer whistle..

Then the Bi-planes and b-17 and WW2 planes of all types flying overhead.. Plus the car show... Then on the way home stopped at the Flushing A&W for their cruise...

Walked miles and my old diabetic feet have had it,, Still gotta feed the coon and an early turn in tonite..
WOW! I am jealous. I love steam locamotives. The Tennessee RR Museum runs an old Baldwin and I had the opportunity to ride in the locamotive on a short 45 minute run. It was absolutely fascinating.

LOL, I begged the engineer and fireman to let me just throw one shovel full of coal into the boiler but no deal. They said their insurer would not allow it. I wanted so badly to be able to say I had fire an old Baldwin.

Oh well, How many people have ever gotten to ride in an old steam locamotive?

John
Old 06-21-2014, 07:53 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
You had me worried there I put the same system on mine but it looks like I used the water pump from the doner too...The whole motor was green...
Let me ask this.

If you have a reverse waterpump does it draw water out of the top of the radiator and return it through the bottom hose? If so would it not suck air in from an old verticle flow radiator with a tank on top?

It would appear to me that it would only work on a sealed system with an overflow tank that had no air in the system.

Don't laugh at me. I don't know. I am asking.

John
Old 06-21-2014, 08:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Let me ask this.

If you have a reverse waterpump does it draw water out of the top of the radiator and return it through the bottom hose? If so would it not suck air in from an old verticle flow radiator with a tank on top?

It would appear to me that it would only work on a sealed system with an overflow tank that had no air in the system.

Don't laugh at me. I don't know. I am asking.

John
That's actually a valid question and a darned good one too. I don't know the answer. I thought they still moved the water in the same direction, just the impellor was rotating the opposite direction....
Someone may need to post this in a different "tech" forum on here to find the cooling/radiator experts. Seems they don't come in this forum...
Old 06-21-2014, 08:24 PM

Last photo:

No expert but the "reverse" water pumps still pump the same direction. Just the pump vanes turn in different direction. The pumps are usually physically swapable but the reverse pump on a standard rotation will be very inefficient.. And vise versa..
Old 06-21-2014, 08:28 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post

That sounds like the "Dream Machines" event I love to make on the coast near me. Pacific Coast Dream Machines, Half Moon Bay's Festival of Magnificent Machines

That is so cool there are others, glad you made it, I call the one here "A celebration of transportation".

Brian

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.