Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#12,141 ·
LKQ now owns about everything in Rancho and yes I use them regularly, they had nothing.

Brian
LKQ's home base is here in Portland. Owned by Schnitzer Steel Group, and has bought up almost every wrecking yard around me. Some great old wrecking yards with old cars got bought, and they proceeded to start crushing all of them. No more good stuff to choose from now.

#12,142 ·
LKQ's home base is here in Portland. Owned by Schnitzer Steel Group, and has bought up almost every wrecking yard around me. Some great old wrecking yards with old cars got bought, and they proceeded to start crushing all of them. No more good stuff to choose from now.
They are most certainly the Walmart of wrecking yards!

Brian

#12,143 ·
in the middle of putting my bike back together and wa slooking threw pictures i took of how the wiring was ran and came across this picture that shows how nice the paint came out on the plastics

this is after i sprayed the clear

i still cant belive i did that my first time painting , and specially cause its pearl, well i lied i attempted this once before with disastrous results on a old junk car hood
cant wait to see what the stuff looks like after i buff it out

im already planning on painting my next bike the same way except blood red pearl over black base

#12,144 ·
on your next bike try to situate them better so they don't go spinning or moving on you. Another good concept is to not worry about getting every piece painted on the under side just so you can have it situated nicely to spray on top, where it matters. Look at the fender in the back. The one in the front I should have done like the one in the back but I sacrificed a little color under to get it to lay down better on top. It's totally worth it. Priming is different. Get everything when you prime and if it moves around on you not so much a big deal. My buddy just painted bike parts last night and decided to go that route too. He agrees with sacrificing some paint on the underside too.

#12,145 ·
I just spoke David Perry (496chevy3100) on the phone. He has been in intensive care for 5 days while they try to get blood flow restored to his leg and foot. For those that may not know, David is diabetic and this is the third attempted to get his circulation restored.

He is now out of intensive care but expects to to be in the hospital for a few more days. He is cautiously optimistic but not out of the woods yet.

Prayers would be a good thing for David. I know we all are missing him.

John

#12,150 ·
on your next bike try to situate them better so they don't go spinning or moving on you. Another good concept is to not worry about getting every piece painted on the under side just so you can have it situated nicely to spray on top, where it matters. Look at the fender in the back. The one in the front I should have done like the one in the back but I sacrificed a little color under to get it to lay down better on top. It's totally worth it. Priming is different. Get everything when you prime and if it moves around on you not so much a big deal. My buddy just painted bike parts last night and decided to go that route too. He agrees with sacrificing some paint on the underside too.

yeah i didnt think about that when i started they deffinatly spun around on me. i just ended up holding them lightly on the backsides since i didnt mind a fingerprint or smudge under there.

#12,151 ·
I just spoke David Perry (496chevy3100) on the phone. He has been in intensive care for 5 days while they try to get blood flow restored to his leg and foot. For those that may not know, David is diabetic and this is the third attempted to get his circulation restored.

He is now out of intensive care but expects to to be in the hospital for a few more days. He is cautiously optimistic but not out of the woods yet.

John
Dang it's tough reading this.....:(

#12,153 ·
I will be digging this out of a guys garage next week and bringing it home...:cool:
Great score :thumbup: what is the plan for her???

I played with my latest acquisition today. A 99 XK8 that I just couldn't pass up on E-bay :drool: . they have a bad habit of breaking the plastic oem cam chain tensioners (interference motor), so I swapped them out for the updated aluminum ones. looks like that was a good decision to get done preemptively. :eek:

Russ

Attachments

#12,155 ·
Great score :thumbup: what is the plan for her???

Russ
"Supposedly" the engine is all rebuilt and "souped up" according to guy, but he has only started it briefly 10 years ago. I made him put a socket on the balancer bolt and turn it over, so I know it isn't seized. It has a TH350 trans that is supposed to be built heavy duty with a shift kit.

I'm gonna put it all together and see if it is streetable for the summer.

#12,159 ·
Feel a little "different" about posting this after reading about David.

I will be digging this out of a guys garage next week and bringing it home...:cool:

HOLY CRAP what a treasure! What a friggin treasure! Getting in that car to me would be like going back in time, holy cow!

Brian

Reactions: Too Many Projects
#12,160 ·

John
Thanks for that update John! Prayers to David for his success and recovery!