Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#12,201 ·
Hi I just joined this forum, Sunday I traded my way into a 1926 Essex coupe so after work today I went and picked it up on my little trailer, after unloading it and organizing some parts I spent the rest of the evening looking at different pictures of peoples builds on this forum, and decided to join

#12,202 ·
Hi I just joined this forum, Sunday I traded my way into a 1926 Essex coupe so after work today I went and picked it up on my little trailer, after unloading it and organizing some parts I spent the rest of the evening looking at different pictures of peoples builds on this forum, and decided to join
Welcome, :welcome:

There is a VERY diverse group of people on here that work on about anything you can imagine. I'm confidant you will find help for your questions.

#12,205 ·
Welcome, :welcome:

There is a VERY diverse group of people on here that work on about anything you can imagine. I'm confidant you will find help for your questions.
Thank you for the welcome, More than anything I`m seeing a ton of great ideas already on here on suspension geometry, this being my first major build the body work and drivetrain even interior and wiring don't scare me easily, suspension geometry however seems to covered very well on this forum and its one thing that I have next to no experience with, File:3-21 brackets welded on.jpg - The Scratch-Built Hot Rod
i`ve found lots of great info on that particular build already, I really like the traditional look early 60s survivors etc. and the double I beam setup looks like a happy medium with at least some driveability
any thoughts? perhaps some direction to further posts concerning the same?

thanks a lot guys

#12,206 ·
Any pics of the coupe?
Russ
Later gator:D:D

I think they should upload, still figuring this out, i`ve got my work cut out for me that's for sure but all the panels are still there and very solid with exception of the bottom of both suicide doors, it was someone else`s project but I think they got scared off, fortunately for me I dry fitted all the panels and nothings been hacked apart its all nice straight true cuts or removed at the rivet/spot weld, the cowl and window frame is very solid and very straight and true, also has all the fenders and the running boards the hood is there for it, the only thing im missing is the trunk lid......but im half decent with an English wheel/shrinking disc and I`m a welder by trade so this is all doable.... great patina its a crying shame it was cut, haha I traded an air compressor for it so its really hard to go wrong, the last picture is what im told it should look like reassembled

Attachments

#12,208 ·
I got my Impala home and did some investigating of it.

Ready to load on the trailer.

Here in the yard.

Lots of parts in the trunk, as well as the interior and some in boxes we loaded in the truck. I also got both sides repro quarter skins and an extra dash with a push button radio. It already has collector plates, so I save money by not having to buy those too.

The interior is pretty decent and will clean up well enough to leave alone as a driver.

I need Brian to find a pair of clean CA fenders and ship them to me...;)
nice. I haven't worked on many of those but they all seemed to have rust right under that quarter moulding at the sail panel flange. It can be tedious to make patches for that area. Usually rust on top of those doors as well with that weird shape under the moldings that seem to trap water in there. The moldings on the deck lid and tail light pockets are suspect areas as well. Cross your fingers. The paint looks factory and don't see much bubbling in the pics.

#12,209 ·
I think they should upload, still figuring this out, i`ve got my work cut out for me that's for sure but all the panels are still there and very solid with exception of the bottom of both suicide doors, it was someone else`s project but I think they got scared off, fortunately for me I dry fitted all the panels and nothings been hacked apart its all nice straight true cuts or removed at the rivet/spot weld, the cowl and window frame is very solid and very straight and true, also has all the fenders and the running boards the hood is there for it, the only thing im missing is the trunk lid......but im half decent with an English wheel/shrinking disc and I`m a welder by trade so this is all doable.... great patina its a crying shame it was cut, haha I traded an air compressor for it so its really hard to go wrong, the last picture is what im told it should look like reassembled
Welcome aboard. :thumbup:

That's a nice looking project.
If you're not familiar with metal shaping, there are a couple of good forums out there and there are metal shaping events all over the country.

It looks like you'll be needing to make a patch here and there.

#12,210 ·
Still checking out my new acquisition and looking into why the brakes didn't work while loading.
I found the line from the master to the distribution block was cracked. The PO added a power booster and must have tried to stretch that line to reach and cracked it.

I removed it and found another line I had from a previous project and decided to use that instead of running to the store for a new one....being FRUGAL, John...;)

One fitting was too big, so I cut it off and put the right size nut on.

I LOVE my hydraulic flaring tool. In less than a minute, it makes an absolutely perfect double flare with a few pumps of the handle...:drool:

I bled the master and then the line and got a little brake, but not much. The PO claims everything was new 10 years ago but the pedal sticks on the floor and I'm thinking the master bore may have rusted and I might need to replace it again ?? Hmmm...now that I'm thinking about it, he had the steering column and pedals out and I don't recall seeing a return spring on the pedal arm either. More investigative work to be done...:mwink:

#12,212 ·
Hmmmmmmm, What do you guy's think about a man who brags about how "frugal" he is and then drags out his hydraulic flaring tool? :D:D:D
John.
Ahhh, you're just jealous....:p

I have a manual one that I have fought with for years, but after I used a hydraulic one at work, I just HAD to have it. I've NEVER gotten that PITA manual tool to make a flare this nice, no matter how much time I spent...:mad:

The drivers door glass falls in at the front and I decided to pull the panel and see what parts I needed to get that working better. I assumed it was a broken roller.....wrong.....the lower glass frame rusted off from the front mount.

I removed the glass and track that it screws too.

Nice pile of rust and old setting tape.

I then ground off the rust and chrome from the frame and bracket and tacked it back on. I used the channel to get the distance correct.

At that point, I was going to quit and try to find some setting tape when I remembered my neighbor had given me a roll of 3m double sided molding tape. I decide to see if that would work and it was like it was made for this !!!

After a couple minutes of tapping with the dead blow, it was set nicely and feels quite tight.

I put it back in and it's still loose, as all the felts are gone too, but at least the glass goes up and down straight now...:D

#12,213 ·
Hmmmmmmm, What do you guy's think about a man who brags about how "frugal" he is and then drags out his hydraulic flaring tool? :D:D:D

Hopefully the master and wheel cylinders are good but it might be wise to check them Mitch. At least before you do any more than yard drive it. 10 years is a long time.

John.
Probably keeps it next to his "Acme Hydro-Electric Beer Bottle Opener and Fondue Torch"

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

#12,217 ·
That is a good thing. I was afraid the 62 would push the SS on to the back burner. It needs to be followed through with. :thumbup::thumbup:

John
The '62 is still strapped on the trailer for quick removal from the shop. I was just checking it out and trying to get brakes while waiting for the tail panel. The Chevelle WILL be buttoned up and back on the street in May...:D

#12,218 ·
The '62 is still strapped on the trailer for quick removal from the shop. I was just checking it out and trying to get brakes while waiting for the tail panel. The Chevelle WILL be buttoned up and back on the street in May...:D
That is a good thing. I know people that can work on several projects at a time but I am not one of them. I need to see one thing through. As much as I am looking forward to you getting into the 62, I am glad you have not lost your focus on the Chevelle.

John

#12,219 ·
Well bummer, I was just at my chiropractor's office for an adjustment. He is also my helper in the shop on Tuesday's and Friday afternoon. He is going out of town today for the weekend, so he won't be available tomorrow to bleed the brakes on the '62. Guess I'll pull the trailer out of the shop until next Tuesday and focus on the Chevelle.