Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#12,281 ·
Make the buck. This is a huge mistake that I made on my front clip project. Without the buck, you can never tell where to tweak the panel when you get close to finish. (unless you're John Long of course)

I will make a buck for my hood later. I will be scrapping the hood that I've been working because I made it without a buck and it's toast.
I agree completely about the buck. The reason I squeezed by without one was because my old rusty quarter was straight as an arrow.

I am not a big fan of the snake profile guages though because they flex a little. I don't think they are as accurate as cardboard or the guages with the little metal pins. Maybe the more expensive snake guages are better than the cheapy one I have though.

John

#12,282 ·
I have never made any real complex bucks or patterns. But I use stuff like simple patterns all the time and the profile gauge is "ok" but as John says it flexes and changes so I will use it, then transfer that to poster board, and then to metal if I need something more permanent.

I made patterns of the windows for my cab like that. Ending up with metal "windows". :D

Brian

#12,284 ·
#12,288 ·
So my wife always tells me I'm crazy for running around the country for cars and parts.
I just got back from a 500 mile run for 2 really nice fenders for my '62 Impala.
I think nothing of spending 8 hours and 15 minutes driving to get something I can't locally.

Last October, I drove to the Northwest corner of Montana to bring back a really clean '66 Malibu. I turned that 2500 miles in 60 hours and I stayed in a motel 1 night on the way out. That next day, I drove the last 220 miles to get to Great Falls. Once I had the car loaded, I drove the 1250 miles home with 1 "crash" stop somewhere in the middle of ND for 3 hours. :eek:

So am I alone in this "craziness" or am I just an average "gear head" :confused:

#12,289 ·
So my wife always tells me I'm crazy for running around the country for cars and parts.
I just got back from a 500 mile run for 2 really nice fenders for my '62 Impala.
I think nothing of spending 8 hours and 15 minutes driving to get something I can't locally...............
.......................So am I alone in this "craziness" or am I just an average "gear head" :confused:
Trust me...You ain't average..........:thumbup::D:mwink:

John

#12,290 ·
I think nothing of spending 8 hours and 15 minutes driving to get something I can't locally.

Last October, I drove to the Northwest corner of Montana to bring back a really clean '66 Malibu. I turned that 2500 miles in 60 hours and I stayed in a motel 1 night on the way out. That next day, I drove the last 220 miles to get to Great Falls. Once I had the car loaded, I drove the 1250 miles home with 1 "crash" stop somewhere in the middle of ND for 3 hours. :eek:

So am I alone in this "craziness" or am I just an average "gear head" :confused:
Nope! That's why God made Book Tapes and your Library!

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

#12,291 ·
I love those Stovebolts! Now tell me again, Why do I keep buying these big blocks???

I did get my rear quarter locked in place and have my wheel house fitted up and held in position by drill screws. Spent much more time than I thought I would. I believe when the wheel well lip on the quarter is added and the skirt has a gasket, it is going to fit pretty well. Thank goodness this is not customer work. :D

John

#12,292 ·
I love those Stovebolts! Now tell me again, Why do I keep buying these big blocks???

I did get my rear quarter locked in place and have my wheel house fitted up and held in position by drill screws. Spent much more time than I thought I would. I believe when the wheel well lip on the quarter is added and the skirt has a gasket, it is going to fit pretty well. Thank goodness this is not customer work. :D

John

But I hear this customer is a friggin nut job!

Brian

Reactions: Too Many Projects
#12,293 ·
Oh but the customers, you just can't make this stuff up! We have one right now, two weeks ago came in with the side of the car damaged from head light to tail light, bad. Looks like she grazed the corner of a semi bed, just about slicing the side of the car open. One thing it did was knock the mirror right off the car. So all we do is install a mirror so she can drive it.

She came back in today with the mirror knocked off again!

Ok, now that you know that, how about she is also a bizzare woman who is telling everyone in the office personal info like why her husband left her (he's gay) and gave her a sexually transmitted disease. :pain:

Oh yeah, as nutty as your customer is, he isn't nearly that bad!

Brian

Reactions: 496CHEVY3100
#12,295 ·
Oh but the customers, you just can't make this stuff up! We have one right now, two weeks ago came in with the side of the car damaged from head light to tail light, bad. Looks like she grazed the corner of a semi bed, just about slicing the side of the car open. One thing it did was knock the mirror right off the car. So all we do is install a mirror so she can drive it.

Ok, now that you know that, how about she is also a bizzare woman who is telling everyone in the office personal info like why her husband left her (he's gay) and gave her a sexually transmitted disease. :pain:

Brian
For God sake Brian! Don't sit on that seat!

BB :nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

#12,296 ·
This morning I picked up my 59 BelAir from the shop where they did a front end alignment, and charged the new Vintage Air system. it sure drives nice with both wheels pointed the same direction. ;)
When I got home I decided to polish up the Billet Specialties wheels that were on the car when I bought it last year. they look like someone used a chemical cleaner that attacked the aluminum and left spots etched into the rims. I sanded out the spots and minor scratches with 2000, and then picked up some Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish from O'Reilly, on the salesman's recommendation. holy cow! this stuff really works! . if you haven't ever tried it, do yourself a favor and pick some up. the small ~$6.00 tub should last a person for years, and the results are truly amazing. the photo doesn't do justice to how bad they were, or just how good they look now.

One wheel done and three more to go,

Russ

#12,298 ·

Brian

How about one who, while driving down the highway at 60+ mph, opens her drivers door to look under her car to see who is calling for her to come under there? And burned her house down by pouring gasoline down the drain and lighting it to kill the media that keeps talking to her. SCARY!:eek::eek::eek:

#12,299 ·
How about one who, while driving down the highway at 60+ mph, opens her drivers door to look under her car to see who is calling for her to come under there? And burned her house down by pouring gasoline down the drain and lighting it to kill the media that keeps talking to her. SCARY!:eek::eek::eek:

It's time again for the annual 'Stella Awards'! For those unfamiliar with these awards, they are named after 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled hot coffee on herself and successfully sued the McDonald's in New Mexico, where she purchased coffee. You remember, she took the lid off the coffee and put it between her knees while she was driving. Who would ever think one could get burned doing that, right? That's right; these are awards for the most outlandish lawsuits and verdicts in the U.S. You know, the kinds of cases that make you scratch your head.

This year's runaway First Place Stella Award winner was: Mrs. Merv Grazinski, of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, who purchased new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home, from an OU football game, having driven on to the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go to the back of the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly, Mrs. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not putting in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually leave the driver's seat while the cruise control was set. The Oklahoma jury awarded her, are you sitting down?

$1,750,000 PLUS a new motor home. Winnebago actually changed their manuals as a result of this suit, just in case Mrs. Grazinski has any relatives who might also buy a motor home.

#12,300 ·
Some of the things I have seen insurance companies pay for make me want to scream!

How about a bunch of the interior on a Lexus RX when the customer put a stand up Weber BBQ full of hot coals in the back that fell over when they went around a corner.

A Saturn Vue that a dog was left inside for what was obviously a LONG time. He shredded the door panels and seats and head liner. I don't mean some tears or even alot of tears, I mean SHREDDED till it looked like a friggin rain forest.

Blows me away.

It's like the NFL players who are now suing because they weren't told they could get hurt.

Brian