Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#12,401 ·
I know this isn't what I did today on a car....well, I did install a seat on a 2008 Honda Accord. :D But I went for lunch to a little town near me (where the Goodguys show is) and had lunch at my old friend Marshall's place. You couldn't have wiped the smile off my face the whole time. You see this young man was about 13, 25 years ago when he use to sweep the floor in my shop. He is a great human being, along with his wife and today was the opening day for their little cafe. It is a super awesome place with his wife making some great stuff. So happy for them, they were very busy today with all the friends and family coming by. He looked a little overwhelmed.

Brian

Attachments

#12,403 ·
My replacement wheel came via the brown truck today! The last 15"x4" Torq Thrust II in the USA, and fortunately Summit had only this one left! Got the local tire store to mount it up, and tomorrow I'll shoot the darker gray center on it.

Sad part was the "Made in China" label on it. American Racing sold in 2008, and all their wheels are made in China since selling to Wheel Pros. If I didn't need it so badly, I'd have passed on it. The machine work on the "polished" rim is not up to the standard of the bent wheel it replaced.

#12,404 ·
My replacement wheel came via the brown truck today! The last 15"x4" Torq Thrust II in the USA, and fortunately Summit had only this one left! Got the local tire store to mount it up, and tomorrow I'll shoot the darker gray center on it.

Sad part was the "Made in China" label on it. American Racing sold in 2008, and all their wheels are made in China since selling to Wheel Pros. If I didn't need it so badly, I'd have passed on it. The machine work on the "polished" rim is not up to the standard of the bent wheel it replaced.
well now you have a cool garden hose holder :thumbup:

#12,405 ·
#12,406 ·
I welded the front of the trunk pan to the floor pan and a patch in the left wheel house.

Then I put my '62 Impala on stands to remove the transmission. I put water in the radiator last week and it dripped out the back of the block. BOTH of the frost plugs on the back are leaking. Can't believe someone would not use a sealer back there. Possibly worse, I think the cam hole plug is leaking oil too.

#12,409 ·
I welded the front of the trunk pan to the floor pan and a patch in the left wheel house.

Then I put my '62 Impala on stands to remove the transmission. I put water in the radiator last week and it dripped out the back of the block. BOTH of the frost plugs on the back are leaking. Can't believe someone would not use a sealer back there. Possibly worse, I think the cam hole plug is leaking oil too.

Bummer. At least it will be a cheap fix......Hmmmm, does that mean we would call it a frugal fix?:mwink:

John

#12,411 · (Edited)
. Yeah, my dad had a '68 Chevy pickup with split rim hard tires of some type and that thing wouldn't go anywhere on anything slippery... One winter day I took it back to him and couldn't get above 35 MPH on the expressway without it wanting to swap ends... then hopped into my '77 Grand Prix and set the cruise control at 90 MPH and headed for a Michigan snow ski lodge...

. I think they say never use sealant when installing those core plugs... prolly afraid they'll slip back out under pressure... but what you gonna do?

. So now they're just 'China Racing Wheels'... glad I only have the older USA ones... and, yes, the wheel doctors can fix those bent/damaged ones... for a spare...

#12,412 ·

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=254432981424658&fref=nf

If you need any help with disassembly ,

WATCH THIS <

#12,413 ·

Can't believe they didn't use Brass Core Plugs instead of steel!

BB :mad::mad:

#12,414 ·
There are places that will repair that wheel. Aluminum is actually fairly easy to bend back.

Here's one Rim Repair | Wheel Repair | Alloy Wheel Repair | Bent Rim
Yes, there are places. But even without shipping both ways, they charge more than the wheel is worth. If I wasn't able to find this one wheel, I could almost buy a pair of different wheels for what they charge. I have a local guy who does it, but the quote made my jaw drop, and no shipping involved.

#12,415 ·
Yes, there are places. But even without shipping both ways, they charge more than the wheel is worth. If I wasn't able to find this one wheel, I could almost buy a pair of different wheels for what they charge. I have a local guy who does it, but the quote made my jaw drop, and no shipping involved.
There aren't any other wheel fixers in Portland? There are several here in the Lower Mainland area - in fact I saw the truck from one of them yesterday when I was going for lunch

#12,417 ·
Today I removed the console in the 59, drilled out the rivets in the tunnel seal plate, so I could remove the B&M short shifter setup from the T56. the straight handle was a bit too far forward for my body configuration, and the curved Hurst handle looks a lot better anyway, so I married the two.
Awwww. feels good now. ;)

Russ

Attachments

#12,418 ·
Today I removed the console in the 59, drilled out the rivets in the tunnel seal plate, so I could remove the B&M short shifter setup from the T56. the straight handle was a bit too far forward for my body configuration, and the curved Hurst handle looks a lot better anyway, so I married the two.

Russ
Looks better, and more traditional with the Hurst too!

#12,419 ·
I went to Home Depot and picked up some clear shelf paper today, so I could use it to mask off the new torq thrust wheel. Stuck it all around the center, and used a razor blade to cut along the edge of the light gray center. Shot it with the graphite color wheel paint, and it's done. Once it dried I peeled the shelf paper and bolted it on the Falcon.

#12,420 ·

Russ
Gosh damn you are doing one fine car. I am partial of course, I dig the '59 to no end. But you are doing a great job on it too. :thumbup: double :thumbup::thumbup:

Brian