Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#12,683 ·
I did :D The timing mark was off about 3/16 inch. I have it running well and am really enjoying it. I have not gotten the A/C fixed yet but my friend with the vacuume pump is getting his car ready for the NSRA Nats South. That will have to wait until next week.

John
Good to hear you got it running right.

Who needs A/C in April anyway....:p

You and Tim going to Nashville Goodguys again ?

#12,685 ·
Nothing really worked on but I got out in my wrecking yard out back to move some things around. I'm making a spot for the Sunbeam up on the concrete so I can get to putting the Pinto motor in it. I am tired of waiting for my son to get a fire, so I am going to get it going and hopefully that will fire him up.

Brian

#12,686 ·
I did :D The timing mark was off about 3/16 inch. I have it running well and am really enjoying it. I have not gotten the A/C fixed yet but my friend with the vacuume pump is getting his car ready for the NSRA Nats South. That will have to wait until next week.

John
Bring it over John. I'll evacuate and charge it for you. Easy Peasy!

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

#12,689 ·
this old car we got had been chopped and we had to fix the gaps. He didn't brace it thoroughly. There was a bead on the door sides and am assuming the door gaps taco's and a chunk was taken out. Finally got it fitting decently with a little of this and that. Should be done with it today. The other day my tool box fell over!. The top is laying on the floor and the main box is on it's face with all the drawers open. Got some of the weight out of it. Hopefully today my buddy can stop by and we can push it onto it's feet. I will have to find the 2x4's in the wall to find a way to keep that from happening again. It could have been a disaster/fatal. Other than that I got both sides to the pedal car pretty much where I need them before really cleaning them up with the p hammer/ wheel. I have a template for the middle piece and am game planning on how to do the top piece, it will be a lot harder than the side pieces.

#12,690 ·
I moved some stuff around in the yard for Nick's Sunbeam and I lit a spark under my butt for my truck too! I set this up dragging the rear end under it and setting the front sheetmetal on the frame as it would be one day hopefully. I am not kidding you, seeing this sparked me!

Brian

Attachments

Reactions: John long
#12,691 ·
Yeah Brian, get back on it...:cool:

My helper, John, came over and we got the brakes bled on the Impala but they still don't work well. I may need to pull the drums and free up the shoes. I can hear them drag when I turn the wheels but they just don't apply hard enough to hold the car in drive...:(

Then we jumped on the tail panel for the Chevelle. We mocked it up with drill screws and clamps and then I tack welded it in several places to hold it together. It's back out on the bench for welding when I get time.

#12,692 ·
Nothing really worked on but I got out in my wrecking yard out back to move some things around. I'm making a spot for the Sunbeam up on the concrete so I can get to putting the Pinto motor in it. I am tired of waiting for my son to get a fire, so I am going to get it going and hopefully that will fire him up.

Brian
You mention sunbeam? Do you own one as well. Reason I ask is I owned a sunbeam alpine and it had an alloy head from memory?? It was a fixer at the time, unfortunately I wasn't,lol. Two tone blue it was.

Sold it in the end, young kids and cars, kids came first back then.
Russ
Later gator:D

#12,693 ·
You mention sunbeam? Do you own one as well. Reason I ask is I owned a sunbeam alpine and it had an alloy head from memory?? It was a fixer at the time, unfortunately I wasn't,lol. Two tone blue it was.

Sold it in the end, young kids and cars, kids came first back then.
Russ
Do I own one, well, I kinda own the one in my back yard......if my son doesn't get on it I will!

I think he will now, he helped me out there today with the moving of this stuff, I need to get on it to fire him up. This is the build thread I started. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/sunbeam-alpine-246026.html

It's going to get a Pinto motor, that is what I am going to start on soon.

Brian

Reactions: whinny
#12,694 ·
Do I own one, well, I kinda own the one in my back yard......if my son doesn't get on it I will!

I think he will now, he helped me out there today with the moving of this stuff, I need to get on it to fire him up. This is the build thread I started. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/sunbeam-alpine-246026.html

It's going to get a Pinto motor, that is what I am going to start on soon.

Brian
I'm thinking mine wasn't an alpine??? As from memory it was a 4 door??? But was definitely a sunbeam. Try find some pics for you.
Cheers
Russ

#12,695 ·
pinto shifter location

We put a pinto engine and trans in a Nash Metro, I sawsalled the shifter tower off and trimed the castings to move the shifter foreward, shortened the shaft and Tig welded the casting back together, I had a lot of oil boiling out as I welded but It held and i coated everything with rtv for insurance.

#12,697 ·
Another busy day. I had to get my "new" camper out of my neighbors garage this morning, so I got the '38 down off the storage lift too.

I've moved the '66 Malibu up on the lift, the '62 Impala under that and the camper/'38 are in front of the Impala. The Corvair is in the shop. I'm taking that to a swap meet Sunday and want to see if I can get it to run better first.

Friday I have to bring home the '67 Camaro, 70 Chevelle and the '52 flat bed.
Where the heck am I going to park all these.. :confused:..:(