Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#12,721 ·
Spent yesterday at hospital (but not for me)

A friend from outta town came down with an aneurism (pursuant to her husband beating her head in:pain:) and needed brain surgery to prevent a blowout.

So - she came to stay with us for a bit. I picked her up at the airport on Wed and yesterday I took her in for her operation. Spent the day there, waiting, drinking a few gallons of Starbucks HiTest, reading newspapers, pacing, etc.

Her sturgeon came into the waiting "lounge" and told me all is now good, she is all patched up. We were all surprised to find that she actually HAS a brain!:D:D:thumbup:

Went to her room- she was asleep. Woke up, said "it hurts" went back to sleep

So, I just called now - she is actually awake & alert today so now I am off to go see her:thumbup:

She'll be there until Tues/Wed, then I'll bring her back here for a few weeks recovery and follow-up visits to the duckpond to see the sturgeon.

(So far, I have been successful at restraining myself from paying her ex-hubby a brief visit)

So - If I'm not on here for a few days - I'm sorta busy
Daaaaamn there are some scum on the earth! That's why I give all the love I can to those who aren't scum. Be damned of language they are speaking, color, sex, sexual orientation, what ever. If they are good people they've got my love.

Brian

#12,722 ·
hey pugsy, how would you suggest I get more lift from the bottom of the window to the top, It seems too flat? . If I started all over the bead around the window would be a step, I'd probably make it in 2 pieces, and I'd use tipping dies to get the lift for the window. It seems like it would get the lift I'm looking for but have suspicions that the corners of the window area would need to be shrunk. Does that make sense? How would you do it?
I'd make it in several pieces and weld them together. Sometimes you can save more time doing it this way.

A slice about an inch from the bottom of the windshield frame from the back edge of the fender forward would allow you to ''lift'' the window up leaving triangular gaps to fill. The filler pieces would be reverse curves which are made by stretching. But this leads to another problem. When you lift the windshield, the big panel behind also goes up and would need a bunch of stretching along the back edge to get down. Maybe more than can be done by hand? Hard to say without actually being there.

#12,724 ·
I got to bust the tail light out of a Corolla today so I could go through the hole to open the trunk being there was something wrong with the latch. WHooo hoooO!

Brian
Just a thought Brian but my wifes Toyota has a release beside seat ,and one on the key electronic ,IF that fails the back seat folds forward to gain entrance,:D
All this coming from a man who broke rear window out of a Silverado a couple weeks ago then Could Not reach the lock :evil:

#12,726 ·
Just a thought Brian but my wifes Toyota has a release beside seat ,and one on the key electronic ,IF that fails the back seat folds forward to gain entrance,:D
All this coming from a man who broke rear window out of a Silverado a couple weeks ago then Could Not reach the lock :evil:
Unfortunately the release for the seats is in the trunk. I first thought I could remove the rear seat bottom cushion and then remove the bolts to the seat back hinges and remove them. Sorry Charlie, the latches being in almost the middle of the seat, this did nothing. So busting out the tail lamp seemed the next step.

Brian

#12,727 ·
Tonight I am thrilled. I saw my son go out to the Alpine with a friend and work on it! He has my tool box to work out of but he came back in to get his tool set he got for his 18th birthday a few weeks ago and he used it. Damn this is looking good!

It cracks me up looking at the disc brakes on this car. There wasn't an Corvette with them until 5 years later. Anyway, things are looking good.

Brian

Attachments

#12,728 ·
It was a really nice 85* day today, so the Friday night cruise to DQ was a sellout crowd. I had the 59 all plushed out and ready for it's debut, and it turned out to be a big hit. there were lots of really nice cars there tonight, and of course I had forgotten my camera :( . but I'll get em' next time.
Every year we lament about how all the cruisers these days are old farts like us. oh well… it is what it is, and we still enjoy the heII out of hanging out in the parking lot and lying to each other all evening just the same.

Russ-Jennifer

#12,730 ·
It was a really nice 85* day today, so the Friday night cruise to DQ was a sellout crowd. I had the 59 all plushed out and ready for it's debut, and it turned out to be a big hit. there were lots of really nice cars there tonight, and of course I had forgotten my camera :( . but I'll get em' next time.
Every year we lament about how all the cruisers these days are old farts like us. oh well… it is what it is, and we still enjoy the heII out of hanging out in the parking lot and lying to each other all evening just the same.

Russ-Jennifer
It has occurred to me the last few years that Old Farts make good company. As long as the sun is shining....enjoy! :D

Yay! My buddies wheel fell off. The tow truck is bringing his pickup to my house. I'll get to work on a vehicle for a change.

Wife's car needs summer tires and an oil change as well.
Pugs, You sure are easy to entertain. I enjoy building but hate to have to repair anything....:(

John

#12,731 ·
Yay! My buddies wheel fell off. The tow truck is bringing his pickup to my house. I'll get to work on a vehicle for a change.

Wife's car needs summer tires and an oil change as well.
If you were closer, I could bring one of mine over so you had something to work on...;)

Where's the Chrysler ? You could "tinker" on that...:cool:

I swapped out the wife's winter tires last Sunday. So nice to have 2 sets of wheels. 10 minutes and I'm done...:D

#12,733 ·
Welllllll, l got a call at midnight from my son.....not a scratch, not a single scratch on him or his friend. Geeeez

Brian
That HAS to be a terrifying moment for a parent to get that call and see the car. They were very lucky, especially your son. Looks like it went in on the passenger side...:eek:

I did that to my Dad on graduation night. 6 of us in a VW and rolled 1 1/2 times. I got a gash on my head when it smashed the rear passenger window out and a severe abrasion on my leg from the ash tray in the side panel...:pain:

#12,735 ·
I am not a believer in miricle coatings. I have never used POR 15 or any other encapsulator" but I had a can of Mastercoat that Pats55 had donated to my cause a year or so ago. The interior of Old Rusty's quarter panel seemed like the perfect place to try it.

I spent 2-3 hours cleaning the panels as well as I could without sand blasting them and applied 2 coats of the Mastercoat with a foam brush.

I loved the way it went on as well as the way it self leveled. I can't tell you how it will work long term but it sure beats what I had here before and I am glad I had it. Thanks Pat.

From here I need to go over the bare metal panels with 80 grit and shoot some epoxy on them.

John

#12,736 ·
It has occurred to me the last few years that Old Farts make good company. As long as the sun is shining....enjoy! :D

Pugs, You sure are easy to entertain. I enjoy building but hate to have to repair anything....:(

John

After the drought I've had of not working on cars, anything sounds good.

#12,737 ·
If you were closer, I could bring one of mine over so you had something to work on...;)

Where's the Chrysler ? You could "tinker" on that...:cool:

I swapped out the wife's winter tires last Sunday. So nice to have 2 sets of wheels. 10 minutes and I'm done...:D
The Chrysler is on hold. I got my demo and building permits and will be knocking down the house next month.

We got the studs changed on my buddy's hub, a new rotor and he was good to go. He's driving around short a nut or two on each wheel now because nobody stocks them. Crazy.

Ya, two sets of rims is the only way to fly. :thumbup:

#12,739 ·
I am not a believer in miricle coatings. I have never used POR 15 or any other encapsulator" but I had a can of Mastercoat that Pats55 had donated to my cause a year or so ago. The interior of Old Rusty's quarter panel seemed like the perfect place to try it.

I spent 2-3 hours cleaning the panels as well as I could without sand blasting them and applied 2 coats of the Mastercoat with a foam brush.

I loved the way it went on as well as the way it self leveled. I can't tell you how it will work long term but it sure beats what I had here before and I am glad I had it. Thanks Pat.

From here I need to go over the bare metal panels with 80 grit and shoot some epoxy on them.

John
That coating will be good for about twenty years, so I think you're good. :thumbup: