Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#12,962 ·
The '34 started after firing out of nowhere during a cruz yesterday. Ran fine, stopped at DQ. Started it back up and it ran like crap, after firing and seemed to be running on 7 cylinders. Limped home 25 miles and started pulling plugs. #5 didn't look very good. Just changed plugs, same issue. Looks to be the plug wire end on the plug side. Sooooo, will have to have a new end put on next week. Don't have a connector or "the tool".........

#12,963 ·
The '34 started after firing out of nowhere during a cruz yesterday. Ran fine, stopped at DQ. Started it back up and it ran like crap, after firing and seemed to be running on 7 cylinders. Limped home 25 miles and started pulling plugs. #5 didn't look very good. Just changed plugs, same issue. Looks to be the plug wire end on the plug side. Sooooo, will have to have a new end put on next week. Don't have a connector or "the tool".........
I have a plug wire crimper....wanna use it....:p

I drove the '38 to a small car show 170 miles north of here over the weekend. Another guy in the Chevelle club has a cabin on a lake and we went there for dinner afterward. Saturday was rainy but I got my wife to go with, so we hit the quilt shops for her and the gift stores. We also stopped at a candle factory and got a personal tour of candle making. That was fun and of coarse, we had to buy some candles...;)

425 miles with not a problem. She wants me to put quieter mufflers on tho, before she'll go that far again. It does get a little loud at 65mph.

#12,964 ·

I drove the '38 to a small car show 170 miles north of here over the weekend. Another guy in the Chevelle club has a cabin on a lake and we went there for dinner afterward. Saturday was rainy but I got my wife to go with, so we hit the quilt shops for her and the gift stores. We also stopped at a candle factory and got a personal tour of candle making. That was fun and of coarse, we had to buy some candles...;)

425 miles with not a problem. She wants me to put quieter mufflers on tho, before she'll go that far again. It does get a little loud at 65mph.
Yes, can you run it over???? :)

Earplugs. My brother uses them when snowmobiling......

Where up north?

#12,966 ·
Brake pedal hit the floor yesterday on my old '69 Suburban, while helping my oldest daughter move! Took several pumps to come up, and every time I stopped, it did it again. left it sitting while moving, and when I drove home it only acted up once!
Time for a new brake master, so stopped by the parts store to get one. It's in the 90's here, so going to see if I can replace it early tomorrow, before it heats up to 94!

#12,968 ·
Havent posted for a long time.. Having health problems. Bottom of my heart has died and causing me some problems. That and diabetic issues slowed me down till about three weeks ago. The daily hospital visits ended and the pick line removed from my right arm.. Heart surgery in September coming up.

Any ways I had started building a 512 cube big block Chevy. Finally got it on the fire up stand yesterday. A comedy of errors ensued. Starting with a missing upper radiator hose. Last user of stand must have taken/misplaced it. Had to go to three different auto parts stores to get a simple 1.5 in. to 1.25" radiator hose.
Got everything on the engine, filled with coolant and the dreaded leaking aluminum thermostat housing hit. Then set the HEI distrib, unit that I use with the stand, and its dead. Try buying a simple 4 pin ignition module for it... Finally after calling 5 stores. I got one from a NAPA store.. Installed it.
I had assumed that the cap was wired correctly as the last user had put the wires in a fancy loom.. WRONG 5 and seven crossed. Hit the key and the backfire destroyed the starter drive/nose.. So much for a high torque starter.. Replaced the starter and engine fired in first revolution... Man.. it sounds great!! Left the shop at 8:30 pm..

Today I made up plates and gussets, welded up the rusted out frame on a mid seventies Corvette,, Michigan isn't kind to these cars..

Sorry for the long post but this thread was looking kinda slow tonite.

One more thing.. The shop I work at was voted the best auto repair shop in mid Michigan by the local media.. Free feasts at lunch for the last couple of weeks and dozens of donuts, that I can't have, each morning..:thumbup:

#12,969 ·
Havent posted for a long time.. Having health problems. Bottom of my heart has died and causing me some problems. That and diabetic issues slowed me down till about three weeks ago. The daily hospital visits ended and the pick line removed from my right arm.. Heart surgery in September coming up.

Any ways I had started building a 512 cube big block Chevy. Finally got it on the fire up stand yesterday. A comedy of errors ensued. Starting with a missing upper radiator hose. Last user of stand must have taken/misplaced it. Had to go to three different auto parts stores to get a simple 1.5 in. to 1.25" radiator hose.
Got everything on the engine, filled with coolant and the dreaded leaking aluminum thermostat housing hit. Then set the HEI distrib, unit that I use with the stand, and its dead. Try buying a simple 4 pin ignition module for it... Finally after calling 5 stores. I got one from a NAPA store.. Installed it.
I had assumed that the cap was wired correctly as the last user had put the wires in a fancy loom.. WRONG 5 and seven crossed. Hit the key and the backfire destroyed the starter drive/nose.. So much for a high torque starter.. Replaced the starter and engine fired in first revolution... Man.. it sounds great!! Left the shop at 8:30 pm..

Today I made up plates and gussets, welded up the rusted out frame on a mid seventies Corvette,, Michigan isn't kind to these cars..

Sorry for the long post but this thread was looking kinda slow tonite.

One more thing.. The shop I work at was voted the best auto repair shop in mid Michigan by the local media.. Free feasts at lunch for the last couple of weeks and dozens of donuts, that I can't have, each morning..:thumbup:
Damn Bob, what are they going to do for your heart ????

I'm glad you got the engine running, but keeping the ticker beating is far more important...:eek:

#12,972 ·

I am planning to install an electric cut outs on my truck , but instead of going to open headers I want it to open to silent mufflers ( hidden ) ,I am having problem finding a set to fit my 3in exaust,:confused:

#12,973 ·
Had one of those mornings. Took the newly reman. brake master out of the box, and of course it was different than mine. Decided that whenever my '69 Burb got converted from 6 lug drums, to 5 lug disc/drum, they must not have swapped masters. So I test fit it, and it looked OK, but lines were not in quite the same place. Fittings fit, so re-bent the lines to match the new locations, and after bench bleeding, I mounted it to the power booster. Then of course the lines weren't exactly perfect, so they wouldn't start. Had to remove the master again, loosen the lines, and hook them to the master first, and then mount it on the booster.
After all the fooling around, I had to tweak the lines some more, as the proportioning valve wouldn't line up with it's support bracket. Just a simple 30 minute job that ended up taking me over two hours, with all the fumbling around. I'm sure the new disc/drum master is much better, but almost wish I'd stuck with the drum/drum, as it worked just great!

#12,977 ·
Had one of those mornings. Took the newly reman. brake master out of the box, and of course it was different than mine. Decided that whenever my '69 Burb got converted from 6 lug drums, to 5 lug disc/drum, they must not have swapped masters. So I test fit it, and it looked OK, but lines were not in quite the same place. Fittings fit, so re-bent the lines to match the new locations, and after bench bleeding, I mounted it to the power booster. Then of course the lines weren't exactly perfect, so they wouldn't start. Had to remove the master again, loosen the lines, and hook them to the master first, and then mount it on the booster.
After all the fooling around, I had to tweak the lines some more, as the proportioning valve wouldn't line up with it's support bracket. Just a simple 30 minute job that ended up taking me over two hours, with all the fumbling around. I'm sure the new disc/drum master is much better, but almost wish I'd stuck with the drum/drum, as it worked just great!
Seems like all my quick projects go lime this anymore.
I feel your pain, it's always something :thumbup:

#12,978 ·
Didn't work on anything lately, but did get together with my nephew and take a few pictures of a stud and a nerd with their Ramblers. Well, his is a Hudson Wasp but you get it.

Brian

Attachments

Reactions: 496CHEVY3100